Shell Extension City attempting a comeback.

Shell City News, Updates, Events, Etc.

Shell Extension City attempting a comeback.

Postby RedRage » 05/26/13, 9:59 pm

After a few years of sitting around Shell Extension City is attempting a small but hopefully useful comeback.

Here is what is already done and will be going live in the next few days assuming there are no issues.

The back end has been completely re-written while the user interface is for the most part the same. Most of the coding went to automating updates and administration of those updates.

One of the biggest features of ShellCity is the simplicity, nearly all the HTML/CSS has NOT been changed. Some things make get tweaked here and there.

A few on the surface changes you may notice. Each entry has a 'Permalink' option that you can share. Each entry has a 'Report' function which will let us know of bad or duplicate entries. Date Added/Updated for new entries, old entries will be 'Long ago'.

All 4000+ links have been manually checked to be sure they work and can still get you to the program specified. A rough guesstimate that 1000 or so where removed because they are no longer available at the links specified. A few links where also removed because they use Java applets and are untrusted sources and a few more because they have been known sources of malware in the past. In general pages I did not trust where removed. THIS DOES NOT mean they where bad, I just didn't trust them.

The vast majority of the links that where removed where from expired domains.

If your program was listed here and you no longer see it please let us know through the contact link on the front page, I will be glad to recheck it. In my haste to finish I may have made a mistake.

There are still quite a few duplicates that we are still tracking down however you can help by reporting duplicate links as you see them.

Another thing to change is of course this forum. Threads can only be posted by Admins but anyone registered should be able to reply. This is to help keep the main page a little less cluttered but still provide site updates to the regular users.

Updates will happen when we find a program or site that we think will be useful to viewers. This could be once a month or 5 times a day. There is no set time. Feel to use the Submit Freeware link on the main page or you could post in the forum.

One thing you may notice in the near future is Ads and/or Sponsored links. We really don't like them but are often a necessary evil. Content and integrity is always the first concern, should these get out of control they will be edited or removed.

You will also notice a few of my personal links come through, again Shell City's content is more important, if it gets in the way it will be removed.

TL;DR

Not much changing, just some back end updates to make it easier and clean up.

Questions, Comments and Suggestions are welcomed.
RedRage
BIG GIANT HEAD I Get Free Beer

Postby mouser » 05/27/13, 4:17 pm

This is great news -- ShellCity has a very special place in my heart. Let us know how we can be of service.
mouser
Member ****

Postby RedRage » 05/29/13, 6:28 pm

I think, it is "done".

apparently I forgot to account for special chars when imported a couple thousand programs so some do not work on the RSS feed. New entries will be okay so i'll add <description> back in to the RSS later on for those interested.

Considering adding 'Like and Share' buttons for facebook.. but still looking into it. I don't like the social media crap but kinda need it these days. (because copying and pasting links is just too darn hard for some people) May end up with one of those 'AddThis' things like DR has.

mouser wrote:This is great news -- ShellCity has a very special place in my heart. Let us know how we can be of service.

Thanks mouser, it has been one of my favorite sites since I was just a little geek.

As of now, reporting bad/duplicate programs/links as you happen to see them. I'm not asking anyone to go through them all it is a pain. The 'report link' thing seemed like a great idea but it seems like spambots have found it.

General suggestions are always welcome
RedRage

Postby Don_U » 05/29/13, 9:36 pm

Nice work, Joe, Bob. Looks spiffy. No one can start a post but admins? Need a secret decoder ring? I can understand about establishing a focus, but the single most important thing i ever learned about information I learned here. That, after the fact, information is relevant to that user.

That said, having admins choose what to think about violates the premise that all information is relevant in a point and time.

I guess let free beer be free.
I never look back, dahling, it distracts from the now -Edna Mode
Beware of men in white vans at the freeway off ramps selling discount America. It is defective,
contains lead, and is not made here.
Robotic Undertones
Don_U
Senior Member I Get Free Beer

Postby RedRage » 05/29/13, 9:56 pm

Don_U wrote:Nice work, Joe, Bob. Looks spiffy. No one can start a post but admins? Need a secret decoder ring? I can understand about establishing a focus, but the single most important thing i ever learned about information I learned here. That, after the fact, information is relevant to that user.

That said, having admins choose what to think about violates the premise that all information is relevant in a point and time.

I guess let free beer be free.

Thanks Don and I completely agree..

The restriction 'should' be only in this forum... the other forums should be as it has always been.

This one is just ment to post news from ShellCity 'staff'. Stickies would've worked too, but this way saves me some hassle. If someone can give it a test to be sure the rest of the forum is okay i'd appreciate it
RedRage

Postby bob » 05/30/13, 12:28 am

Joe gets all the credit here. I abandoned and continue to abandon the site. All kudos (and complaints, heh) go to him.
WYSIWTF
bob

Postby Don_U » 05/30/13, 2:27 pm

Cool, sorry I misunderstood. I think you are doing a great job Joe.

Bob is just slacking.....a product of his OOOOOld age.
Beware of men in white vans at the freeway off ramps selling discount America. It is defective,
Robotic Undertones
Don_U

Postby Don_U » 05/30/13, 2:37 pm

Mouser I have enjoyed the postings from Donation Coder.
Anything new you would like to contribute?
Robotic Undertones
Don_U

Postby Don_U » 05/31/13, 6:25 pm

Yikes! I took a look under the hood. You know someone is going to want all those
Code: Select all
</br>
elements back!

Btw what are the underlines in the links for? Spam control?

You could replace those br's with 2 classes.
Robotic Undertones
Don_U

Postby RedRage » 05/31/13, 7:03 pm

Don_U wrote:Yikes! I took a look under the hood. You know someone is going to want all those
Code: Select all
</br>
elements back!

Btw what are the underlines in the links for? Spam control?

You could replace those br's with 2 classes.

HAHA like I said the design is barely changed. I hardly touched HTML or CSS so far, and what i did do was to try to keep it in line with what is currently there.

I added a <hr> between the entries.

I will be picking at it off and on.
RedRage

Postby Don_U » 06/01/13, 2:19 am

I was looking at the impact of Social addons at different software sites. Example: one app very useful had 14,000+
downloads released May 2 but just 3 FB recommendations. I am with you, Joe. I think the facebook has a narrower view than most perceive.

Hope you don't mind me posting so much. Like you this is where I got my start. Actually Bob was my first Email reply.

Idea: developer accounts that allow well vetted developers to post themselves.
Robotic Undertones
Don_U

Postby RedRage » 06/01/13, 3:26 am

Don_U wrote:Idea: developer accounts that allow well vetted developers to post themselves.

Not bad idea, if there are enough Devs out there interested enough in this... Mail me at the link above. Otherwise it is not going to happen for a long while.

For the most part, unless i get a wild hair up my butt... (been known to happen) what you see is basically what you are going to get... updates as I see them or submitted to me and little by little picking at the html/css/php/etc.. to clean up stuff.

I'm still on the fence with facebook... It seems more annoying than it is worth.. pretty much most 'social' media sites are the same to me.

As far as posting goes... post away, as long as it is civil :-)
RedRage

Postby bob » 06/01/13, 10:25 am

DR has an "Add On" link (including FB, Stumble Upon, and numerous other social sites) for every headline. That's about 5000 links. Each week we get our report, and only maybe 2-5 times have the social links been used by our 5000 visitors a day.

As for the breaks after lines, don't forget this site was mostly put together before CSS. Or at least before it came to my attention--the domain qwas registered in 1999, but the site lived on other domains (primary.net) for several years before that....
WYSIWTF
bob

Postby Don_U » 06/02/13, 1:36 am

I am checking the markup for vacuum tubes :D

I know I know but if it had a page for submission for developers to encourage contribution....could blow up then it gets to be a scale issue.
Robotic Undertones
Don_U

Postby bob » 06/02/13, 3:29 pm

Instead of just a page for developers, how about a page for anyone to submit sites--but it would need to be moderated, just as the developers page would be... remember Babya was a "developer".
WYSIWTF
bob

Next

Return to Site News