Email Spider Spam Trap

Security, malware, viri--you've got to keep your eyes open

Postby Dark Shadow » 04/07/11, 6:25 pm

I changed it. Now it uses seeded random values to generate predictable elements. These elements change once a week (probably Tue or Wed).

Now when a search engine or a spider visits it, the page doesn't change with each reload so the spider has a harder time detecting the dynamic nature of the generated email addresses.
Dark Shadow
Senior Member (Entitled To Root Beer)

Postby Dark Shadow » 04/08/11, 5:02 pm

Hmm... RSS doesn't seem like it would be a good idea, because it contains too much misc information (Title, Date, Link, etc...) and it doesn't allow for very large content areas. Perhaps it would be better to simply create a version of the spam trap that doesn't contain the title, next page link, or anything else and can be modified via a GET request. That way, people can request as many emails as they want for inclusion into their website via javascript or php.
Dark Shadow

Postby Dark Shadow » 04/08/11, 5:27 pm

Ok... here we go... I made this page to be called via scripts using things like curl and such.

http://deltashield.com/strap/embed/

Possible GET requests are:

limit - Sets how many email addresses you want generated. Default is 100. Hard limit is 1000.

page - Sets the page number. By default it is page 1, but if you don't want email addresses on your website that are the exact same as the ones on page 1 of our /strap page, you can set a high page number here to have unique email addresses. Also, if you want unique emails on each page of your website, you simply change the page number in the GET request for each page on your website.

mailto - Encodes the emails as mailto: links. On by default, set to 0 to turn off.

And like I said before, these will now only update once a week, so if you want to simply setup a cron to run once a week to update the emails and store them in a database, that works too.
Dark Shadow

Postby Gerry » 04/09/11, 1:54 pm

Just some things I noticed. Probably doesn't matter anyway, but though you might wish to know...

> Hard limit is 1000.
Hard limit appears to be 1002 when I tested with 10,000.

> On by default, set to 0 to turn off.
Setting it to anything at all (even 1) or even just including it in the get query all turn it off.
I answer rhetorical questions for my own enjoyment.
Gerry
BIG GIANT HEAD I Get Free Beer

Postby Dark Shadow » 04/09/11, 4:18 pm

Huh... there is an odd glitch regarding the hard limit which seems to associated with the page number you are requesting. I'll fix that later.

Yeah, I used a simple ISSET for the mailto GET request. So, if it is set to anything, mailto gets turned off. You will notice that the way I code things, I do a ton of automatic error correction to prevent people from accidentally (or purposefully) breaking my scripts. For example, you can visit any HTML, PHP, or HTM page in both the embed and strap directory and you still get bounced to the correct page without notification. If you put words, symbols, etc... into the allowed GET requests, they are ignored (except for the mailto GET request) and defaults are loaded. This makes my sites extremely hard to hack and easy to use.
Dark Shadow

Postby Gerry » 04/11/11, 1:37 pm

Dark Shadow wrote:For example, you can visit any HTML, PHP, or HTM page in both the embed and strap directory and you still get bounced to the correct page without notification.

Well almost: http://deltashield.com/strap/?=PHPB8B5F ... 7B08C10000 ;)
Gerry

Postby Dark Shadow » 06/16/11, 7:13 pm

Not sure how I would stop that from showing up.
Dark Shadow

Postby Gerry » 07/10/11, 5:28 am

Dark Shadow wrote:Not sure how I would stop that from showing up.

http://php.net/manual/en/ini.core.php see "expose_php"
Gerry

Previous

Return to Protect Yourself