Fabulous Article -- Bruce Sterling on Julian Assange

Security, malware, viri--you've got to keep your eyes open

Fabulous Article -- Bruce Sterling on Julian Assange

Postby bob » 12/23/10, 3:18 am

"Then there is Julian Assange, who is a pure-dye underground computer hacker. Julian doesn’t break into systems at the moment, but he’s not an “ex-hacker,” he’s the silver-plated real deal, the true avant-garde. Julian is a child of the underground hacker milieu, the digital-native as twenty-first century cypherpunk. As far as I can figure, Julian has never found any other line of work that bore any interest for him."

http://www.webstock.org.nz/blog/2010/the-blast-shack/
WYSIWTF
bob
BIG GIANT HEAD I Get Free Beer

Re: Fabulous Article -- Bruce Sterling on Julian Assange

Postby JohnT » 12/31/10, 5:47 am

bob wrote:"Then there is Julian Assange, who is a pure-dye underground computer hacker. Julian doesn’t break into systems at the moment, but he’s not an “ex-hacker,” he’s the silver-plated real deal, the true avant-garde. Julian is a child of the underground hacker milieu, the digital-native as twenty-first century cypherpunk. As far as I can figure, Julian has never found any other line of work that bore any interest for him."

http://www.webstock.org.nz/blog/2010/the-blast-shack/
Brilliant author......mundane subject. It seems to have slobber appeal to adherents of the ,quote,"underground hacker milieu wannabes", but lets give Julian his rightful due in this world....banality. 8)

http://www.campusprogress.org/articles/ ... n_assange/
"A man may be a fool and not know it, but not if he is married."
JohnT

Postby bob » 12/31/10, 5:07 pm

I thought it was both well written, and well thought out, though sketchy on depth.

It brings to light the connection -- How when you see Assange is an old school hacker that his current actions follow immediately. "oh yeah, of course he did"?

As for mundane..... Well, Assange is no middle class bureaucrat, no 'following orders' soldier or politician, as other have applied the adjective "banal" to -- Hannah Arendt, for example-- if that was your meaning.
WYSIWTF
bob

Postby JohnT » 12/31/10, 6:37 pm

Not slighting the author in the least......he was able to make a silk purse out of a sows ear. Lets be honest it sounds more like a publicist lyric than an in depth piece. As to the connection well that's information not supported by anything more than opinions. This guy writes like he worships at the altar of Assange. Pavlov's Dogs.
"A man may be a fool and not know it, but not if he is married."
JohnT

Postby bob » 12/31/10, 9:40 pm

whatevah....

To tell you the truth, I'm not a big Bruce Sterling fan. In fact the only book by William Gibson I haven't made it through (yet) is the one he co-authored with Sterling.... The Difference Engine, some steampunk thing, as a result steampunk is my least favored flavor of cyberpunk.
WYSIWTF
bob

Return to Protect Yourself