Beware of facebook

Postby bob » 12/15/09, 1:29 pm

WYSIWTF
bob
BIG GIANT HEAD I Get Free Beer

Postby Gerry » 12/16/09, 2:37 am

I don't buy it.

Firstly with these sort of things it's best not to play along with the game of Whispers and go to the source:
http://thompson.blog.avg.com/2009/12/no ... z0Zdt0T9RO

Ok firstly if this guy has "been doing computer security for a looooong time" and yet he didn't realise that public information is... well public? Facebook has privacy settings which allow you to set what is shown. I don't work in security but even I have a second facebook account which I have used to double check exactly what is publicaly displayed, so forgiving the fact that he works for AVG, this guy already looses credability as a security expert with me.

That being my POV, lets look at a more likely senario....

How did the bank associate me with her??????????????????????

I _refuse_ to believe it was “publically available information”.

We have no connection on _any_ bank accounts, or legal documents.

She hasn’t used her maiden name for nine years. I’d have been less suspicious if they’d asked me about her married name.

She’s _not_ a big computer user.

The _only_ place we connect as far as I’m _aware_ is that she’s a friend on Facebook!!!!!!!!!!

Why say they have no connection on any bank accounts? Why not say she doesn't even use the same bank if that is the case? He's trying to be as extreem as possible in his statements, so it's highly unlikely that he would have omitted this info if it were the case. Yes he may not be directly linked to her, but what are the chances that he is indirectly linked? ie. he put his wife as one of his contacts on the account and she put down her daughter, who set up the account a long time ago when she was still using here maden name.

But who knows, maybe the bank tracked down this info from Facebook where they would have to know the spouses name and then some how figure out her daughter's name even though her daugher had apparently accidently used her maden name instead of her real name even though she stopped using it 4 years before Facebook was even created. Yup, all very likely, they must have good the info from Facebook. I see this crap all the time when something goes wrong when a computer does something that somebody is not expecting and then they ask me if they have a virus. People are too quick to assume the latest security hype in the media is also the reason for every single one of their problems for the net few months till some new hype comes along.
Gerry

Postby Gerry » 12/16/09, 2:48 am

Oops, I got step-daughter confused with daughter in law, anyway different relationships but still just as possible that he is indirectly linked through accounts at the bank. Some of the comments people have left on his blog entry also describe more other far more likely methods banks could have used to get this data which have nothing to do with Facebook. I'm really surprised this guy is in security or maybe he is in the sales department.
Gerry

Postby JohnT » 12/23/09, 6:26 am

6 degrees of separation....there is no security :lol:
"A man may be a fool and not know it, but not if he is married."
JohnT

Postby RedRage » 01/26/10, 7:29 pm

I quit using Social networking and blocked it at my former office after the first really facebook malware that hit about 75% of the systems there.

I found that i had so much more "free time" than others who are stuck on farmville or poker.
RedRage

Return to Protect Yourself