Spam issues -- and a SOLUTION!

Security, malware, viri--you've got to keep your eyes open

Spam issues -- and a SOLUTION!

Postby bob » 02/18/08, 8:19 pm

For a long time I've been getting lots of spam, lots and lots, maybe 2000 emails a day. And only 30 or 40 legit emails. I wanted to change me email addresses, but I've been using them so long (maybe 10 years on the charter.net account, and slightly less on the shell city and daily rotation accounts), that I was afraid of all the emails I'd miss if I changed over to other emails. But now I think I have a solution.

My google email accounts almost never get spam -- maybe 2 or 3 pieces a month. And yesterday I came across a gmail feature, called fetcher, that allows you to fetch your email from other accounts through your gmail account -- and, here's tge payoff, google runs them through its own spam filter before delivering them.

So I looped all my other email accounts through the google account last night. And I've only gotten no spam so far today, while my regular mail seems to be coming through nicely.

My thinking is that I'll now begin making the necessary notifications to switch my important mail to gmail exclusively, while keeping the older accounts running through gmail so I don't miss anything worthwhile. So far, so good. See any flaw in the pan?
WYSIWTF
bob
BIG GIANT HEAD I Get Free Beer

Postby RedRage » 02/19/08, 12:28 pm

yup i have all my accounts forwarded to gmail and even managed to talk work into switching to gmail.

I was talking to our then ISP about a year and a half ago and we talked about googles business features.. and the isp switched ALL accounts over to it. Lets just hope no more major gmail hacks surface.

the bad part about making your primary address a free account is that free accounts can disc-a-pere. I don't see google going anywhere but you never know
RedRage

Postby bob » 02/19/08, 4:23 pm

the bad part about making your primary address a free account is that free accounts can disc-a-pere.

True--they can all disappear though. That charter account was originally an Earthlink account which was "transformed" by the ISP as the result of a deal between Earthlink and Charter.
WYSIWTF
bob

Postby aktiwers » 02/19/08, 7:54 pm

I have my school email account forward all emails to my Gmail as well..

The schools email is somehow not secure, and is starting to get lots of spam.

Somehow Gmail still sorts away the spam that gets redirected from the school account and keeps important and wanted emails. I don't know how, but I guess they have some kind of database or something?
aktiwers
Senior<BR>Member

Postby RedRage » 02/20/08, 2:31 pm

aktiwers wrote:Somehow Gmail still sorts away the spam that gets redirected from the school account and keeps important and wanted emails. I don't know how, but I guess they have some kind of database or something?

RBL's and Regular Expressions... and lots of them LMAO, its only fun to setup for the first few hours.
RedRage

Postby bob » 02/20/08, 6:51 pm

one thing I notice, gmail doesn't seem to filter out those emails composed completely of non english characters (I'll try this):

ôÏÒÇÏ×ÙÅ ÏÒÇÁÎÉÚÁÃÉÉ. âÕÈÇÁÌÔÅÒÓËÉÊ ÕÞÅÔ,
ÎÁÌÏÇÏÏÂÌÏÖÅÎÉÅ. ïÄÎÏÄÎÅ×ÎÙÊ ÓÅÍÉÎÁÒ / 6 ÍÁÒÔÁ 2008 Ç. / íÏÓË×Á óÅÍÉÎÁÒ
ÏÒÉÅÎÔÉÒÏ×ÁÎ ÎÁ ÇÌÁ×ÎÙÈ ÂÕÈÇÁÌÔÅÒÏ×, ÒÁÂÏÔÎÉËÏ× ÂÕÈÇÁÌÔÅÒÉÊ É
ÆÉÎÁÎÓÏ×ÙÈ ÓÌÕÖÂ, ÀÒÉÓÔÏ×

But I have a mail rule that does throw them away, so still doing good.
WYSIWTF
bob

Postby RedRage » 02/22/08, 1:01 pm

never noticed that bob, hmmm.
RedRage

Postby bob » 02/22/08, 11:32 pm

want me to forward one to you, Red?
WYSIWTF
bob

Postby RedRage » 02/25/08, 4:13 pm

hehe thats ok.. i don't work in mail filtering any more hehe :P
RedRage

Postby bob » 02/25/08, 6:45 pm

no really, I'll send you a few if you like!
WYSIWTF
bob

Postby Gerry » 09/02/08, 11:09 am

Yeah have been running all my accounts to one gmail account for years and work changed over too. They are much more reliable than any other provider we have used, have a kick ass web interface and as you mentioned, it has the added spam filtering benefit.

The idea is that the spam filter learns. I believe it groups similar emails that everybody who has a google account receives... then say if out of the first 100 that open it, 80% mark it as spam, then they will auto mark it as spam for the other million or so people who received that message. I occasionally do get spam... but I also have a program that checks my email every minute, so chances are I'm often in that first group of 100 to read the message.

My figures are not accurate btw, they are mearly examples to illustrate the concept.

The only downsides I have come across with gmail is this:

"Gmail does not support rich text formatting, graphics, or HTML in your signature. To suggest these features, please contact us"
http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answ ... nswer=8395

Don't bother... it's been "suggest"ed. They obviously have a reason for not doing so, but they are not sharing.

Google customer service is appalling. If things ever fuck up, you're on your own (well you and the other people posting about the problem). Google will never explain outages, explain their reasoning, respond to requests or even pretend like they have heard what you've said. Lucky though, for the most part, their stuff just works and you learn to live without that feature you have suggested 10 billion times without response.
Gerry

Postby bob » 09/02/08, 3:45 pm

There seems to be a lot more spam in gmail since I switched over -- I heard spammers have broken the captcha. Also I keep getting all these repeat messages about how a virus-laden message is being retained on the server. Sometimes 50 of them for the same message. I just want one notice, not 50....
WYSIWTF
bob

Postby Gerry » 09/03/08, 9:43 pm

Huh.... you want one notice? Well sounds like it's not unsolicited then??? You are expecting these notices? Their not spam?
Gerry

Postby bob » 09/04/08, 12:09 am

This is typical of the notice, Gerry (I received 16 of these):

Subject line: "Message left on server: We have hijacked your baby"

And the body:

"The message "We have hijacked your baby" from ishmael jenn
(ahung@gma-us.com) contained a virus or a suspicious attachment. It was
therefore not fetched from your account [my account] and has been
left on the server.

If you wish to write to ishmael, just hit reply and send ishmael a message.

Thanks,

The Gmail Team"
Last edited by bob on 09/04/08, 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
WYSIWTF
bob

Postby Gerry » 09/04/08, 12:54 am

oh.... so it's always the same message? Just set up a filter then and get it to skip your inbox and if you really want to see it you can attach a label. Otherwise just have it send straight to trash.
Gerry

Next

Return to Protect Yourself