Jury Duty Scam

Security, malware, viri--you've got to keep your eyes open

Postby bob » 03/17/06, 7:08 am

Subject: FYI -Jury Duty Scam Most take those summonses for jury duty seriously, but enough people skip out on their civic duty, that a new and ominous kind of scam has surfaced. Fall for it and your identity could be stolen, reports CBS News. In this con, someone calls pretending to be a court official who threateningly says a warrant has been issued for your arrest because you didn't show up for jury duty. The caller claims to be a jury coordinator. If you protest that you never received a summons for jury duty, the scammer asks you for your Social Security number and date of birth so he or she can verify the information and cancel the arrest warrant. Sometimes they even ask for credit card numbers. Give out any of this information and bingo! Your identity just got stolen. The scam has been reported so far in 11 states, including Oklahoma, Illinois, and Colorado. This (scam) is particularly insidious because they use intimidation over the phone to try and bully people into giving information by pretending they're with the court system. The FBI and the federal court system have issued nationwide alerts on their websites, warning consumers about the fraud.
WYSIWTF
bob
BIG GIANT HEAD I Get Free Beer

Postby Gerry » 03/17/06, 7:32 am

:lol: That's a funny one!

The lessons

Every time you pick up the phone to somebody, make sure that you have proof of who they are before giving out any details.

Secondly even if you do know who they are you should limit the amount of info you give them.

But really nobody is truly safe. For instance the people down at the DVD store will give out my password to anybody who says they know me, even if the person doesn't want it (no joke). Through deduction it also become pretty obvious to me that the people at my bank can see my pin on their screen. Really even if your security is the best, unless your a Buddhist monk in some far removed temple, there are many others out there with your sensitive data who are far less secure with it.
Gerry

Postby RedRage » 04/11/06, 2:22 am

hm.. if someone gives their CC number out for jury duty they almost deserve to be screwed over.
RedRage

Return to Protect Yourself