"Do-not-call list" like services for email/snailmail

Security, malware, viri--you've got to keep your eyes open
AndrewB
BIG GIANT HEAD I Get Free Beer

Post by AndrewB » 08/05/04, 9:29 am

Check out the website of <a href="http://www.dmaconsumers.org/privacy.html">The Direct Marketing Assn.</a>. There are forms for removing yourself from postal mail and email advertising services. You can either pay a $5 'processing fee' to do it online, or you can mail in a printed form for free. (I know that seems backwards, but ask them about it I don't know). These black-listed names and addresses only apply to 'Direct Marketing Assn.' affiliate advertisers, but from what I can gather, many buisinesses are members, so you're likely to see a drop of email and physical spam of some degree.

BTW, they also have a blacklist service for telephone, but personally, the federal <a href="http://www.donotcall.gov/'>Do Not Call List</a> has worked very well (only 1 or 2 marketing calls per month maybe). Anyway, its there if you want to use it instead of/in addition to the federal telephone blacklist.
Keep Your Assets & ID Private! Can you afford not to?

Gerry

Post by Gerry » 08/06/04, 12:43 am

Considering spamming is illegal in most places, I doubt the problem spammers would be members.
I answer rhetorical questions for my own enjoyment.

AndrewB

Post by AndrewB » 08/07/04, 2:50 am

yeah. But its worth a try, right? Might eliminate 2 or 3 emails per week or something :)

Gerry

Post by Gerry » 08/08/04, 10:35 pm

<!-- BBCode Quote Start --><TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font class=postbody>Quote:</font><HR width=100% color=#333333 SIZE=1></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT class=quote><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2004-08-07 10:50, AndrewB wrote:
Might eliminate 2 or 3 emails per week or something :)</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR width=100% color=#333333 SIZE=1></TD></TR></TABLE><!-- BBCode Quote End --> Perhaps, anyway I don't get spam, cause I use Gmail.

... although that (Gmail) does have it's own problems due to the fact that it's still in beta.

AndrewB

Post by AndrewB » 08/09/04, 5:04 pm

How's the spam filtering w/ gmail? my ISP's POP situation is an absolute nightmare (150+ spam messages a day, only use it to send mail anyway!), and the spam filtering Lycos Mail uses doesn't seem to actually work right since it was last 'updated'.

Gerry

Post by Gerry » 08/09/04, 8:17 pm

I can't remember the link now, but this guy went through and tested Gmail and a lot of other email services. In the test he signed up to a shit load of know spamming services and Gmail came out very well, I believe he only got one spam that wasn't put in the spam folder.

Also Gmail has this neat little feature for when your signing up for a service that migh possibly spam you.

If your email is johnsmith@gmail.com, when your signing up for something you enter you email address as:

johnsmith+thewordyouwanttousetomarkspam@gmail.com

The you just set up a filter and in the "To" section you just put:
thewordyouwanttousetomarkspam
and either assign a label to it to mark it as spam or just move it to the spam folder, or what ever you want.

You could also find out exactly what service sent you that spam. When getting an article from IGN.com I gave them myemail+fromIGN@gmail.com <font color="#333333"><i>(with "myemail" exchanged for my actual exchanged for my actual address, I just put it like that so a bot doesn't crawl this page and make me think IGN are spammers.)</i></font>. So now if I ever get spam that's addressed to myemail+fromIGN@gmail.com then I know IGN is to blame and I'll go blast the fuckers.

However keep those tricks as quiet as possible, we don't want the spammers knowing about it or they will just start removing everything after the + symbol. As far as I can see Gmail hasn't mentioned it in the help section, I found it on a Gmail tricks page.

AndrewB

Post by AndrewB » 08/10/04, 3:02 am

cool. I'll keep it hush-hush :) btw, has anyone used HushMail? Also, when will Gmail be final, or is there a set date yet?

Gerry

Post by Gerry » 08/10/04, 4:18 am

<!-- BBCode Quote Start --><TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font class=postbody>Quote:</font><HR width=100% color=#333333 SIZE=1></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT class=quote><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2004-08-10 11:02, AndrewB wrote:
Also, when will Gmail be final, or is there a set date yet?</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR width=100% color=#333333 SIZE=1></TD></TR></TABLE><!-- BBCode Quote End -->Well I don't know of any set date. Betas usually become final when the developers can't find any more bugs and the app has just about all the features that users would expect, so Gmail is quite a way off.

As much as I love it, one bad thing I have to say about Gmail is the same thing that some critics said. Gmail doesn't use a central server so if your account is screwing up, there is a good chance that others won't be having the same problem. This is a really bad thing, because it means the developers won't be rushing to fix the problem, like how they would on a centralized system where it affects everybody.

Gerry

Post by Gerry » 08/15/04, 12:40 am

...and now they've fixed the problem. :-)