Unusual?

Security, malware, viri--you've got to keep your eyes open
Breaker04
Member *****

Post by Breaker04 » 06/20/04, 4:51 am

After rebooting my computer from the XP OS disc my computer is still suffering from a large amount of I/O errors and programs keep crashing, the error report dialog box keeps coming up. I think that my computer may be suffering from snail trail (very, very, slow). Please can someone suggest what to do.

<font class=editedby>[ This Message was edited by: Breaker04 on 2004-06-20 12:52 ]</font>

bob
BIG GIANT HEAD I Get Free Beer

Post by bob » 06/20/04, 5:14 am

Why are you booting from CD? Is the OS on your hd? or what? It's unclear what the problem can be if all you describe are symptoms without config details. When did the problem start? What did you do before that which may have a bearing.

Have you got a restore point a month ago (or before whatever problems you're having started)? What happens when you go back to that restore point?
WYSIWTF

Breaker04
Member *****

Post by Breaker04 » 06/20/04, 9:41 pm

I have just run a scan with PC doctor on call and it says that there are problems with: ActiveXcom file, ActiveXcom subsection file, an invalid application path, an invalid microsoft shared file and invalid uninstall information.
Smoking Kills

SloppyGoat

Post by SloppyGoat » 06/21/04, 2:47 am

Man, you had multiple viruses. That OS is shit. Bite the bullet and reinstall. I learned not to mess with a seriously fucked up OS a long time ago. It's just not productive. Once it's that bad, you might as well format and reinstall. Chock it up to experience, and learn to avoid that situation in the future.
Does anybody really know what time it is?
The Grey Area - Tweaking Obsession

Breaker04
Member *****

Post by Breaker04 » 06/21/04, 3:29 am

I can't do that though because the OS is built into the hard-drive.
Smoking Kills

SloppyGoat

Post by SloppyGoat » 06/21/04, 3:31 pm

No it's not.

Breaker04
Member *****

Post by Breaker04 » 06/21/04, 11:25 pm

What should I do after format? I have never done this before. Give me some guide lines.
Smoking Kills

SloppyGoat

Post by SloppyGoat » 06/22/04, 12:47 am

Find a tutorial on google. There are many out there. Basically, if you have a bootable XP CD, you can just boot from the disk and it'll format it and do everything for you. You just have to read and choose the right options.
Does anybody really know what time it is?
The Grey Area - Tweaking Obsession

gmn17
Member **

Post by gmn17 » 06/24/04, 9:30 am

make sure in your bios settings you have the init display setting correct for pci or agp and that irq's are set to automatic, get a win 98 bootdisk and fdisk and then format to fat32 on the c drive, install your os and set up your admin profile and your user profile to have the same permissions, go to folder options as administrator and then as your own user name and set everything to classic view and disable webviews then show all files(leave nothing hidden or "protected"), then disable offline synchronization, next go to display properties and disable all animation and webview settings, next make sure in the power profiles you set everything to always on, after that you will be able to just use your own username on the machine and finish installing the rest of your programs. then you can convert to ntfs or put the silly webviews and display properties all pretty-like if you want.