Can't Start Explorer

Security, malware, viri--you've got to keep your eyes open
bobroosth

Post by bobroosth » 05/01/04, 4:27 pm

Win XP system. Double click on Windows Explorer icon on the destop and the desktop icons blink. The system log says something like: "the shell stopped unexpectedly and will be restarted. error 1002"

I suspect a corrupt Shell Extension. I would like to find a tool that enumerates and manages these. Have not found one.

Any thoughts as to what would happen if I were to delete the key HKLMsoftwaremicrosoftwindowscurrentversionexplorer?

AndrewB
BIG GIANT HEAD I Get Free Beer

Post by AndrewB » 05/01/04, 5:03 pm

that would make things even worse. You probably wouldn't get a shell at all.
Keep Your Assets & ID Private! Can you afford not to?

SOD

Post by SOD » 05/01/04, 11:31 pm

Use the link below. It will allow you to put the ID of the error code in a field and return the result more or less...like all MS answers it does not give you the complete story. It has to do with the Winlogon.
<a href="http://www.microsoft.com/technet/suppor ... >Microsoft Error Code Search</a>
Do you have thumbnails enabled anywhere? If so disable them. This includes Photoshop or any app that auto gererates thumbnails. There does not seem to be any clear cut fix.

<font class=editedby>[ This Message was edited by: SOD on 2004-05-02 14:52 ]</font>

bob

Post by bob » 05/02/04, 1:56 am

[quote from email]This machine was badly infested with Spyware, including CoolWebSearch. CWShredder seems to have taken that out, but Explorer is still hosed. I would prefer not to overwrite the Windows install. Too much software to locate and replace.

I suspect an extension because Explorer is OK in Safe Mode.[/quote]

I don't know why shell initiation would be connected to extensions, Bob. But maybe it is. I just never heard of it.

CWS is a brutally ugly piece of spyware. I got it on my Win 98 machine, and after trying Shredder, reg editing, etc. I just finally reinstalled Windows from a backup, after cleaning up my IE cache etc., as best I could. This did solve the problem. (AdAware and Spybot were no help at all on that one.) I don't know how long the machine was infected, but how about your System Restore?

<font class=editedby>[ This Message was edited by: bob on 2004-05-02 09:56 ]</font>

SOD

Post by SOD » 05/02/04, 3:21 am

you obviously did not google the issue *sigh*

bobroosth

Post by bobroosth » 05/02/04, 4:49 am

Actually I did Google it. That is generally my FIRST troubleshooting step. Didn't find anything helpful in the first couple of pages.

I got the idea that it has to do with Shell Extensions from a MS article that blamed it on extensions added by ColdFusion (or some such).

Have not tried Restore. Have to get to the client for that. Did try a Windows repair (from the CD). No help there and that might have killed the possibility fo a System Restore.

Thanks for considering the problem.
--Bob

bob

Post by bob » 05/02/04, 5:03 am

I think you can restore from safe mode....

SOD, explain further--who are you speaking to?

Bob--was cold fusion installed?

<font class=editedby>[ This Message was edited by: bob on 2004-05-02 13:03 ]</font>

bobroosth

Post by bobroosth » 05/02/04, 6:21 am

No cold fusion that I know of. I just saw a KB article that CF could cause a similar problem.
--Bob

SOD

Post by SOD » 05/02/04, 6:49 am

I was speaking to the person who did the orginial post. Having Thumbnails enabled will cause the shell to crash this is true if you use them with XP and if photoshop has their thumbnails enabled. 2K borks like this and googling revealed that XP users were having the same issue. That addy I gave above will show error error details just use the error number field it works better. When I googled there many msg boards asking the same question with no clear cut fixes. Seems that MS uses "1002" for more than one error. Check this addy out it shows the possible errors for "1002" *NOTE: This seems to be come and go issue that from the discussion I saw came a went of its own accord. Are thumbnails disabled?
<a href="http://www.microsoft.com/technet/suppor ... o">Results for error 1002</a>

<font class=editedby>[ This Message was edited by: SOD on 2004-05-02 14:58 ]</font>

Gerry

Post by Gerry » 05/02/04, 8:33 pm

<!-- BBCode Start --><TABLE bgColor=000000 cellPadding=5 width=400 border=1><TR><TD><FONT class="ot">OFF TOPIC: Bob talking to Bob and Bob replying back, is anybody else getting confused. At first I though Bob was talking to himself... no not that Bob, the other one.

EDIT: PS. Bob, get on ICQ already will ya.</font></TD></TR></TABLE><!-- BBCode End -->

<font class=editedby>[ This Message was edited by: Gerry on 2004-05-03 04:39 ]</font>

bob

Post by bob » 05/03/04, 3:06 am

<!-- BBCode Start --><TABLE bgColor=000000 cellPadding=5 width=400 border=1><TR><TD><FONT class="ot">OFF TOPIC: Gerry--look at ICQ</font></TD></TR></TABLE><!-- BBCode End -->

Bob, the reason I'm talking about CWS is this, while it has a terrible effect (hijacking your browser, etc.), I don't think it has the effect you're experiencing. HOWEVER, it is possible that something system-wise got screwed up in your efforts to remove CWS.... I have seen this before.

<font class=editedby>[ This Message was edited by: bob on 2004-05-03 11:09 ]</font>

SOD

Post by SOD » 05/03/04, 4:14 pm

Don't you just love people who 'backchannel'....
It is better to be here than there - SOD

Gerry

Post by Gerry » 05/03/04, 7:15 pm

<!-- BBCode Quote Start --><TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font class=postbody>Quote:</font><HR width=100% color=#333333 SIZE=1></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT class=quote><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2004-05-04 00:14, SOD wrote:
Don't you just love people who 'backchannel'....</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR width=100% color=#333333 SIZE=1></TD></TR></TABLE><!-- BBCode Quote End -->

Yep, no one ever does it on Free2code.net which is why I can't be bothered posting there as much as I used to. I think Bob's idea to limit anons posting seems to have removed those people or at least made it more worth while for them to respond... there are always the exceptions though.
I answer rhetorical questions for my own enjoyment.

bob

Post by bob » 05/04/04, 2:30 am

<!-- BBCode Start --><TABLE bgColor=000000 cellPadding=5 width=400 border=1><TR><TD><FONT class="ot">OFF TOPIC: <!-- BBCode Quote Start --><TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font class=postbody>Quote:</font><HR width=100% color=#333333 SIZE=1></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT class=quote><BLOCKQUOTE>Don't you just love people who 'backchannel'....</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR width=100% color=#333333 SIZE=1></TD></TR></TABLE><!-- BBCode Quote End -->

I think he's talking about ICQ, Gerry.... Gerry and I have a project going on. Probably not of interest here.</font></TD></TR></TABLE><!-- BBCode End -->
WYSIWTF

SOD

Post by SOD » 05/04/04, 1:10 pm

ahhh I understand.....Just so you and G' both know it has been about 8 months without any boo and sometimes my emotional firewall gets set to testy by mistake...I blame it on Windows for changing the app by mistake :-) Damn OS......

<!-- BBCode Start --><TABLE bgColor=000000 cellPadding=5 width=400 border=1><TR><TD><FONT class="ot">OFF TOPIC: My daughter is officially a full fledged geek. She now works with the IT dept at her school. Out of 100 that applied she got the first position of three openings for tech aid Bob. She had four teacher recommendations. I don't mind saying so that part of the confidence she has comes from posting work here. THANK YOU BOB.</font></TD></TR></TABLE><!-- BBCode End -->