Medical Records, Privacy

Security, malware, viri--you've got to keep your eyes open
bob
BIG GIANT HEAD I Get Free Beer

Post by bob » 03/10/04, 1:33 pm

Privacy in Retreat By WILLIAM SAFIRE Published: March 10, 2004

... As reported last week by Robert Pear and Eric Lichtblau in The Times, the Justice Department said that medical patients "no longer possess a reasonable expectation that their histories will remain completely confidential."

This abhorrent philosophy underlies a counterattack launched by Justice at doctors who went to court to challenge the federal Partial Birth Abortion Ban Act. Most Americans, including many who are pro-choice, favor that legislation. I think the doctors are mistaken in their constitutional objection. But in defending the law, Attorney General John Ashcroft went overboard.

Justice issued subpoenas to hospitals in several cities across the nation for the medical records of hundreds of women who had undergone abortions. After hospitals protested that the order flew in the face of federal and state privacy laws, Justice offered to allow the individual names to be blotted out. In Chicago, Northwestern Memorial argued in court that patients would not trust such redaction of their records - copies of which would pass through hundreds of hands - to keep private such an intimate procedure.

More.....

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/03/10/opini ... FI.html?th

<font class=editedby>[ This Message was edited by: bob on 2004-03-10 21:34 ]</font>

SOD

Post by SOD » 03/10/04, 4:22 pm

Thats the republicans they will talk about anything but the economy. 200,000 jobs have been lost in Ohio alone since JR.Bush took office...Thats just one state.
They will babble on about same sex marriage and abortion. They use these types of issues to detract from what is really going on. They will go to ANY length to mask what they are doing including exposing private medical records to the legal system.
JR is turning America into a joke. When are people going to wake up?

SloppyGoat

Post by SloppyGoat » 03/11/04, 1:16 am

You can say that again! America is in the worst shape I can ever remember seeing it in my lifetime.

Last year, HIPPA compliancy went serious, sometime around April, I think it was. Medical records are more confidential now than ever before. Most hospitals don't even allow the records side of their networks to have any contact with the outside. It's a completely closed system, in most cases. All ports closed! We're talking serious security. If they do use the Inet for anything, everything is encrypted.
It just goes to show ya, they can break any laws they make, and it's ok. Hypocrites!
Does anybody really know what time it is?
The Grey Area - Tweaking Obsession

Don
Senior Member I Get Free Beer
Senior Member I Get Free Beer

Post by Don » 03/11/04, 3:30 am

<!-- BBCode Quote Start --><TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font class=postbody>Quote:</font><HR width=100% color=#333333 SIZE=1></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT class=quote><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2004-03-11 00:22, SOD wrote:[SNIP]
JR is turning America into a joke.
When are people going to wake up?
</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR width=100% color=#333333 SIZE=1></TD></TR></TABLE><!-- BBCode Quote End -->
Going by Mr Safire's final opinion..
NOT in his near future!
Despite all the evidence to the contrary, he would still have us believe junior is above this sort of behavior. :razz:

<font class=editedby>[ This Message was edited by: Don on 2004-03-11 11:36 ]</font>