Cringeley on Earthlink's Pop-Up Blocker.... Whatever You Do,

Security, malware, viri--you've got to keep your eyes open
bob
BIG GIANT HEAD I Get Free Beer

Post by bob » 02/06/03, 1:43 pm

Earthlink's pop-up blocker for Windows computers is, in essence, a trojan -- innocent appearing code that carries with some hidden pathogen. Earthlink's Pop-up Blocker may stop any pop-ups from http://www.bigboobies.com, but it generates its own pop-up ads for Earthlink, itself. But it gets worse. What most people have installed is a beta copy of Pop-up Blocker. Now Earthlink members with Windows comptuers are being told that the beta has expired and they should download the permanent version.

Don't do it.

The so-called "permanent version" is a 14 megabyte suite of applications called Total Access 2003 that replaces your FTP client, your e-mail client, your PPPoE application, your browser preferences, your search engines, and more. It "takes over your computer" on boot-up, according to Earthlink, providing a tool bar and other unwanted, undocumented features.

Read Earthink's FAQ on Total Access 2003 (the link can be found under the "I Like It" button on this page which, in this case seems somehow an inappropriate name). Total Access 2003 trashes your e-mail, can't import favorites into the new browser, and it has automatic updates, which means Earthlink can load anything else it likes onto your system at any time. And it can't be uninstalled.

No Earthlink software has ever had an uninstall, so why should this? Ask Earthlink tech support how to uninstall the Pop-up Blocker, and they'll tell you to install Total Access 2003, which is even worse.

http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/pulpit20030206.html
WYSIWTF

Gerry

Post by Gerry » 02/06/03, 8:14 pm

Dam that sure is a bitch. Hey this is one example where a 56k connection is better than Broad band :-), nobody would try to downloading that without having DSL. :-)
I answer rhetorical questions for my own enjoyment.

Pogrelz

Post by Pogrelz » 02/08/03, 5:25 pm

:lol: G'

Arual the Wyrd
Member ****

Post by Arual the Wyrd » 02/21/03, 12:06 pm

Wait a minute, there, dewds - some of us 56K-ers have a lot more balls than you think. I'll crank down anything under 150MB. As long as it isn't spy/mal-ware, that is.
Worst thing I ever did DL and install was a sneaky remote thing that apparently wasn't supposed to have been released. It was slippery, but I stomped it.
I don't worry about all that usual crud because I don't use Idiot Exploder. Long live K-Meleon!

SloppyGoat

Post by SloppyGoat » 03/04/03, 7:22 pm

<!-- BBCode u2 Start --><A class="postbody" HREF="http://www.meaya.com" TARGET="_blank">Meaya</A><!-- BBCode u2 End --> is still the best, IMO.
Does anybody really know what time it is?
The Grey Area - Tweaking Obsession

RedRage

Post by RedRage » 03/04/03, 11:55 pm

<!-- BBCode u2 Start --><A class="postbody" HREF="http://www.mozilla.org" TARGET="_blank">Mozilla</A><!-- BBCode u2 End -->, built in popup blocker and works with 99% of the sites out there. Those that it dosn't work with .. you don't wana go to any way :-)

you can also try NoAds which is in the SC Database. Its very light weight but it will only catch ones it is told to. I used it alot before mozilla included popup blocking.

jrja37

Post by jrja37 » 03/16/04, 8:54 am

Hi Everyone,
As Some Of You Might Know, Dell Bundles 6 months free Earthlink & 6 months free AOL. I Tried Earthlink For A Week & Then No More. I Never Tried AOL Because It's Not Something That Interested Me. MSN As An ISP Doesn't Interest Me Either. Popups, Popups, Popups! Same Goes For K-Mart, Wal-mart. With Earthlink, I Was Experiencing Weirdness, probably the trojans. This Was In 2002 & I Was A Novice Then. Boy, Was I Green But, I Caught On After A While. Hope You Do Too.
Have A Great Day Everyone.