No wonder CompSci grads are unemployed

Hey! It aint that hard!

No wonder CompSci grads are unemployed

Postby bob » 11/01/10, 5:53 pm

"Recently a director at a huge bank asked me “Do British students learn algorithms?”

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/11/01 ... re_skills/
WYSIWTF
bob
BIG GIANT HEAD I Get Free Beer

Postby Gerry » 11/02/10, 7:12 am

Heh... they are not getting the good candidates and this somehow means there aren't any good candidates out there. Generalising here, but they are getting those who don't diverge from the curriculum because those are the people who again go down the regular boring path when looking for a job. Like doing programming for a bank. Google and other companies who provide interesting jobs with creative freedom are getting all the good programmers they are referring to.
I answer rhetorical questions for my own enjoyment.
Gerry

Postby bob » 11/02/10, 3:59 pm

If I were a programmer, last place I'd want to work is a boring bank. However, I'd also not like to work in a pressure cooker like Microsoft or Google.... Freelance might do it...
WYSIWTF
bob

Postby Gerry » 11/03/10, 12:00 pm

bob wrote:I'd also not like to work in a pressure cooker like Microsoft or Google....
Yeah but you'd really grow in a place such as that. I'm pretty sure good programmers got that way because they love learning.
Gerry

Postby bob » 11/03/10, 9:24 pm

Yeah but you'd really grow in a place such as that. I'm pretty sure good programmers got that way because they love learning.

Undoubtedly true. However, my guess is that it's more a rat race at MS or Google
WYSIWTF
bob

Postby Don_U » 11/03/10, 9:26 pm

Financial Institutions are quite the challenge the work is anything but dull in the days of online customer service.

Insurance companies can be quite the challenge as well.
You have not seen anything until you do maintenance/changes to a rating engine the avg. insurance provider has many of these rating engines.
They invented the word cache for these people.
I never look back, dahling, it distracts from the now -Edna Mode
Beware of men in white vans at the freeway off ramps selling discount America. It is defective,
contains lead, and is not made here.
Robotic Undertones
Don_U
Senior Member I Get Free Beer
Senior Member I Get Free Beer

Postby bob » 11/03/10, 9:31 pm

You may be right, Don. But I remember all my computer literate friends in the 70's working at mainframes in financial services (and other large industries), mostly composing and tweaking batch files.
WYSIWTF
bob

Postby Gerry » 11/04/10, 5:10 am

I just look at the state of online banking (at least over here) and I'm appalled by how static and useless it has remained. Despite how much the online world has changed around the banks, who are constantly pushing customers to use their pathetic online presence, they never make any real improvements. They see a new design on their home page as the most amazing thing to ever happen to banking. *sigh*

Maybe it's different over in the US
Last edited by Gerry on 11/19/10, 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gerry

Postby bob » 11/04/10, 6:55 pm

Not really. My wife would like to do online banking, bill paying etc, but I have discouraged it because of the security risks
WYSIWTF
bob

Postby Gerry » 11/19/10, 9:23 am

bob wrote:Not really. My wife would like to do online banking, bill paying etc, but I have discouraged it because of the security risks

I would say the main risk in online banking is your own computer. The actual process of sending stuff from your (modern) browser to their server is usually pretty damn secure as long as the browser doesn't report any certificate problems and you see the lock. Once it reaches the bank it's probably about as secure as a bank is even if you weren't doing online banking, either way you have to trust them to do the right thing the same way you normally do whenever you give them money. So the only thing left to compromise is your own computer which I see as the main problem and the hardest to secure.

This is why I never do online banking unless I'm at my own computer or if can ssh to it from a secure computer. My main PC runs an open operating system that doesn't make it easy for programs to get installed or run without my permission and where I can investigate what is running. I also make sure to run a clean Firefox profile without any extensions installed or incognito mode in Chrome (which I haven't given any extensions permission to run inside). If you are superparanoid (like me) then you can use programs to do a hash of important system tools and then monitor for a any changes (commonly called a root kit).

If you set up a locked down Linux box (there's probably a great distro out there for this situation) and gave your wife some quick tips on what to look out for regarding certificates, then the risk would probably be equal to or less than the banking she normally does in person.

EDIT: ANYWAY!!!! Don't you use ebay like all the time??? Double standards much? ;P
Gerry

Return to Play With Code