DynDNS Clone

Hey! It aint that hard!

DynDNS Clone

Postby Dark Shadow » 02/12/09, 2:04 pm

Hey guys, been a long time.

So I've been working on a project on the side just because of something that has been bugging me and I'd like to announce that it will enter Alpha testing stage in a couple of days.

I've previously used services such as IP Updater, ZoneEdit, DynDNS, etc... but I've always been disappointed by more than a few issues with those services. My issues are the following:

1) They require you to download a piece of software to run the updates which runs constantly on the computer that is updating and therefore must take up a certain amount of system resources (even if they are minimal).
2) They normally don't have great cross platform compatibility.
3) Each system is unique, causing you to either need a different piece of software for each site, or have to pay for an overly beefy Dynamic DNS app that "does it all". Although there is a standard for Dynamic DNS updates (RFC 2136) it doesn't seem like anyone strictly follows these guidelines anyway.
4) You setup 1 account but to run updates on remote systems, you usually have to put your password on those systems opening yourself up to possible loss of your password. To combat this, you might try to open multiple accounts but all of these sites require far too much info and take too long to sign up on, and ZoneEdit only support Dynamic DNS if you have a domain pointed to their specific name servers. In addition, most of these sites require unique email addresses for each account.
5) Why hasn't anyone combined TinyURL type tech with Dynamic DNS type tech yet? It seems like they should go hand in hand.
6) Sometimes Dynamic DNS services built into firewalls are cheap and only detect the WAN IP address but not the actual outside IP address. Yes I know, how often do you stack firewalls like that? Well... it happens...

The wonderful thing about what I'm developing is that it is so simple. The website allows you to setup your own subdomain which automatically sets up several sub-sub domains similar to many hosting packages (mail, ftp, www sub-sub domains) as well as MX records upon update. To update your domain, you simply need to visit a URL every so often so packaging a windows compiled version of Wget is a perfect way to get going especially when combined with the Task Manager. The URL type updates means that the updates are truly cross platform as you can add the link to your favorites and manually visit it to instantly update your IP address. Each sub.domain is given a unique 'key' which you can distribute to remote locations without fear that your other sub-domains on your account might get jacked if someone stole passwords on the remote box you have run the updates. Users can receive emails when their IP address updates on one of their sub-domains or get a text message to their cell phone (US phones only). In addition, this service will be combined with a TinyURL type service.

As far as I've seen, I might be one of the only guys building this in PHP. That being said, I am building this software mostly for my personal use, but once I'm satisfied with the result, I may release the code to the public depending on how much work I put into it.

Thanks again guys. Stay tuned for an update soon.
Dark Shadow
Senior Member (Entitled To Root Beer)

Postby bob » 02/12/09, 6:31 pm

Keep us informed, Dark. We could probably find hosting for it here, if you wish.
WYSIWTF
bob
BIG GIANT HEAD I Get Free Beer

Postby RedRage » 02/12/09, 7:01 pm

awesome, I got a server that's doing a whole bunch of nothing right now if you are in need.
RedRage

Postby Dark Shadow » 02/13/09, 6:56 am

Thanks guys.

I have a graphicless working model if you guys want to look. The base features work correctly and I'll be adding features as I go (and graphics too).

http://www.liquidlocation.com
Dark Shadow

Postby Dark Shadow » 02/13/09, 1:34 pm

ToDo:

Add enhanced email functionality for IP updates and text messaging (turn updates on or off for both). - DONE

Add password recovery option. - DONE

Add automatic logout on timeout. - DONE

Add documentation and wget. - DONE

Add graphics. - DONE

Add TinyURL code. [CANCELLED].

Optimize update engine to prepare for massive overload. - DONE

Get Bob to add strikeout BB code. - FAILED
Last edited by Dark Shadow on 02/15/09, 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dark Shadow

Postby Dark Shadow » 02/13/09, 5:29 pm

The site has now entered a semi-final state. I have some features to add, but it looks good enough now to let the general public play.
Dark Shadow

Postby RedRage » 02/13/09, 6:10 pm

just a think that bugged me about the design... the dang flash thing at the top runs everytime you click to a different page. mildly annoying :-) other than that looks cool.

If its ready i can try it out next weekish.
RedRage

Postby Dark Shadow » 02/13/09, 6:14 pm

Sound annoyed you or the animation?
Dark Shadow

Postby RedRage » 02/13/09, 6:23 pm

lol didn't know there was sound but ya i bet it would.
RedRage

Postby Dark Shadow » 02/13/09, 6:39 pm

Yeah... fixing that would be more work than I think I want to spend. I'd rather spend that time towards functionality.

Site graphics are designed to keep the average ADHD person interested in a site long enough to convince them that they are actually interested in the site content as opposed to smart people that can actually read without being constantly entertained. Guess what category you fall in Red?

Of course, you can say that about just about everyone at Shell City. I mean, just look at how much eye candy SC holds. :)
Dark Shadow

Postby RedRage » 02/13/09, 7:33 pm

hahaha yeah
RedRage

Postby Dark Shadow » 02/13/09, 9:54 pm

Here is an example of an Enom domain update HTTP request:

Code: Select all
http://dynamic.name-services.com:80/interface.asp?Command=SetDNSHost&HostName=yourdomain.com&Zone=yourzone&Address=255.255.255.255&DomainPassword=password

Here is an example of a Liquid Location update request:

http://liquidlocation.com/update.php?domain=subdomain&dnskey=7cbb49fe75a9ddfc701db41cc1cacfd7

Here are some things you will notice.
1) Liquid is alot shorter.
2) Enom requests send the password unencrypted (and painfully obvious) across the network.
3) Enom requires you to specify your current address you want it to update to which requires pre-update detection of the IP through other means. This requires another piece of software or additional coding.
4) Gaining access to the domain password means you can modify every aspect of the domain (and all subdomains) short of nameservers and transfers. This affects your entire account as a whole. If someone gains access to the Liquid DNS hash, it only affects that specific subdomain which only affects that specific domain and any CNAME'd domains at your registrar. This could be considered annoying but hardly anything more than that.

Here is a www.dyndns.com update url:
http://username:password@members.dyndns.org/nic/update?hostname=yourhostname&myip=ipaddress&wildcard=NOCHG&mx=NOCHG&backmx=NOCHG

You'll notice that once again the username and password are passed through the URL, however it becomes a bit better as DynDNS supports https and base64 encoded username/password combo (however base64 is not supported outside raw HTTP GET requests which cannot be performed via browsers. And once again you have to actually specify the IP address you want in the url requiring another 2 step process.
Dark Shadow

Postby bob » 02/13/09, 10:11 pm

Get Bob to add strikeout BB code

Hmmmmm... (Where's that damn Gerry? Oh, yeah, he got a job, probably a girlfriend -- hell, he might even be married with a couple kids running around now for all I know.... And you want strikeout code? Don't I have enough worries?)

Is your gizmo ready for me to list it on Shell City, Dark?
WYSIWTF
bob

Postby Dark Shadow » 02/13/09, 10:16 pm

Sure thing Bob, give it a whirl. ;)
Dark Shadow

Postby bob » 02/14/09, 12:05 am

OK, I'll put you up Sunday night. Care to write a single paragraph description -- what it is, and why one would need it?
WYSIWTF
bob

Next

Return to Play With Code