See what I mean....

Hey! It aint that hard!
bob
BIG GIANT HEAD I Get Free Beer

Post by bob » 07/28/03, 3:53 am

These guys think rss is the new html, and that desktop readers are the new browsers....

How crazily redundant the idea becomes.... Could this be a reaction to bloated websites? Or just an overenthusiasm on the part of bloggers?

http://www.netlawblog.com/2003/07/27.html#a439
WYSIWTF

SOD

Post by SOD » 07/31/03, 8:49 am

<!-- BBCode Quote Start --><TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font class=postbody>Quote:</font><HR width=100% color=#333333 SIZE=1></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT class=quote><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2003-07-28 11:53, bob wrote:
How crazily redundant the idea becomes.... Could this be a reaction to bloated websites? Or just an overenthusiasm on the part of bloggers?

http://www.netlawblog.com/2003/07/27.html#a439

</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR width=100% color=#333333 SIZE=1></TD></TR></TABLE><!-- BBCode Quote End -->
Blogging software outlines a editorial format and automates some chores. Beyond the software it creates a presence of creative community and an ability to interact with the entire community in the instant an idea is conceived. Bob you had mentioned in the thread<a href="http://www.shellcity.net/phpBB/viewtopi ... =1&start=1"> Dream Blog</a> that Blog formatting was a "a cookie cutter approach". But the plain jane format has people doing something civilized. They are writing to each other. Writing has tought me to be civil and create focus. My interpersonal skills have improved. I am better for it. I am sure more than a few bloggers have had the same outcome. The social implementation of a common tool. For better or worse.

bob

Post by bob » 07/31/03, 8:53 am

But that has nothing to do with their use of RSS, SOD.
WYSIWTF

SOD

Post by SOD » 07/31/03, 9:36 am

<!-- BBCode Quote Start --><TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font class=postbody>Quote:</font><HR width=100% color=#333333 SIZE=1></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT class=quote><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2003-07-31 16:53, bob wrote:
But that has nothing to do with their use of RSS, SOD.
</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR width=100% color=#333333 SIZE=1></TD></TR></TABLE><!-- BBCode Quote End -->
No, it doesn't not from a programing aspect. They are using XML as a carrier wave for a multiplex of information. A commercial FM stereo signal would be an analogous example. RSS is not for this. But XML kicks ass in this department. That is why it is important that echo/pie protocol is adapted to by blogware producers early. Then RSS should be legacy at least as far as blogging is concerned. Blogware should produce a RSS 9x spec that is the required elements only which is(?) title , link, description. But there should be no support for HTML encoded content. Just text. Perfect for news Aggregation. I would add a routine that would offer a 'leading' link to the entry permalink if the description chr count was >foo. But thats just me. :-)

Melkor
Senior Member I Get Free Beer
Senior Member I Get Free Beer

Post by Melkor » 08/04/03, 12:21 pm

RSS is great, it's so much easier to run through scripts then html. I use it to gather news about the latest versions of software. I don't use a client that is made to read it thou, I use anchornet, it has less gui impact (systray icon).
<TABLE STYLE=filter:GLOW(color=black, strength=+1)></table> Screws loose or too tight

SOD

Post by SOD » 08/04/03, 1:27 pm

I think RSS properly used is very cool. At this point we don't need a spec. Just the understanding of how to compose to RSS. It is compact and to the point.
I wish to create a pseudo rss data class for beer. Container would provide the data set on demand. XSL would do the transform and create the RSS doc. Use RSS.91 as a property class everyone follows a simple standard for syndication.
Attribute at container element would initialize weather the container would be used for RSS output so instead of getting the 8 mile page you can control RSS at composition time. Oh cool! Create a time base input the data to container the article could 'expire'
based on metadata range. There by auto updating and using systemic method to manage the RSS output.