DR in Chrome

Shell City and/or Daily Rotation -- Got something to say?

DR in Chrome

Postby bob » 01/19/11, 4:28 pm

Been getting complaints that some of DR's options not working in Chrome. I tested it, and found the "Other Options" i.e., number of headlines, columns, etc were not working. In fact, it just looks like the form button is not working down there. Would you guys take a look and see what you think?
WYSIWTF
bob
BIG GIANT HEAD I Get Free Beer

Postby Gerry » 01/19/11, 10:55 pm

http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http: ... ation.com/

I suspect it's something to do with the nesting of your <form name="options" action="/index.php" method="POST"> tag
I answer rhetorical questions for my own enjoyment.
Gerry

Postby bob » 01/19/11, 11:56 pm

You mean this?

form name="options" action="<php>" method="POST"

I'm not sure it's nested, i.e., form within a form???? Though all three groups of options --1. site selection, 2. site submission, 3. other options -- are in the same form, with 3 buttons -- each button works for all options. The login, etc are separate. I'll take a closer look. No problem really to break it into 3 forms.
Last edited by bob on 01/20/11, 2:04 am, edited 4 times in total.
WYSIWTF
bob

Postby bob » 01/20/11, 2:02 am

OK, looks like separating the single large form (with three universal buttons) into 3 separate forms (each with its own button) has done the trick. Now works in FF and Chrome. (Not tested yet in IE.)

Thanks for the tip, Gerry.

Any comment on what doctype might solve some of the problems the validator seems to have found? I kind of think we're too far gone for that, but I'm open...

You got my email?
WYSIWTF
bob

Postby Gerry » 01/20/11, 7:30 am

Try this (with surrounding tag ends) and remove all the space before it so it's at the top of the page:

!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/loose.dtd"
Gerry

Postby bob » 01/20/11, 6:58 pm

That's what I already had, though as you suggested, I removed the spaces before it. I still get what looks to me like non-sensical errors, like these:

# Line 1, Column 106: DTD did not contain element declaration for document type name

…3C//DTD HTML 4.0 transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/loose.dtd">

&#9993;

A DOCTYPE declares the version of the language used, as well as what the root (top) element of your document will be. For example, if the top element of your document is <html>, the DOCTYPE declaration will look like: "<!DOCTYPE html".

In most cases, it is safer not to type or edit the DOCTYPE declaration at all, and preferable to let a tool include it, or copy and paste it from a trusted list of DTDs.
# Error Line 2, Column 6: element "HTML" undefined

<HTML>

&#9993;

You have used the element named above in your document, but the document type you are using does not define an element of that name. This error is often caused by:

* incorrect use of the "Strict" document type with a document that uses frames (e.g. you must use the "Frameset" document type to get the "<frameset>" element),
* by using vendor proprietary extensions such as "<spacer>" or "<marquee>" (this is usually fixed by using CSS to achieve the desired effect instead).
* by using upper-case tags in XHTML (in XHTML attributes and elements must be all lower-case).

# Error Line 3, Column 6: element "HEAD" undefined

<HEAD>

&#9993;

You have used the element named above in your document, but the document type you are using does not define an element of that name. This error is often caused by:

* incorrect use of the "Strict" document type with a document that uses frames (e.g. you must use the "Frameset" document type to get the "<frameset>" element),
* by using vendor proprietary extensions such as "<spacer>" or "<marquee>" (this is usually fixed by using CSS to achieve the desired effect instead).
* by using upper-case tags in XHTML (in XHTML attributes and elements must be all lower-case).
WYSIWTF
bob

Postby bob » 01/20/11, 7:10 pm

well, I'll be damned--instead of using the above, I went here:

http://www.w3.org/QA/2002/04/valid-dtd-list.html

and copied and pasted this doctype (very minor differences:
Code: Select all
!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"
   "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd"

and that lost about 1500 errors....

Here's what I was using:

Code: Select all
!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/loose.dtd

Still 900+ "errors" and lots of them look to be caused by nested elements, use of "styles" etc.... Once I get the comment thing done, I'll look it over again, unless any of you have any more quick fixes for large groups of errors?
WYSIWTF
bob

Postby bob » 01/20/11, 10:41 pm

Whoops... The new doctype eliminated some errors, but completely screwed up the way the page displays in FF. The whole headline section was missing and columns, tables etc were fucked!

Switched back immediately. WTF?
WYSIWTF
bob

Postby Don_U » 01/21/11, 5:52 am

Would now be a bad time to extol the benefits of validated markup?
I never look back, dahling, it distracts from the now -Edna Mode
Beware of men in white vans at the freeway off ramps selling discount America. It is defective,
contains lead, and is not made here.
Robotic Undertones
Don_U
Senior Member I Get Free Beer
Senior Member I Get Free Beer

Postby Gerry » 01/21/11, 8:34 am

Don_U wrote:Would now be a bad time to extol the benefits of validated markup?
What he said.
Gerry

Postby RedRage » 01/21/11, 5:39 pm

people still use tables? figured they would be dead by now.
RedRage

doctype,

Postby gmn17 » 01/22/11, 8:04 am

just use <DOCTYPE> even though it is an html5 spec all modern browsers interpret it correctly,
gmn17
Member **

doctype,

Postby gmn17 » 01/22/11, 8:06 am

it didn't come out right

let's see

&lt;!DOCTYPE html&gt;
gmn17
Member **

doctype damnit!,

Postby gmn17 » 01/22/11, 8:09 am

in my previous post substitute the less than and greater than character entities(&lt and &gt;) at the beginning and end, it'll work with html4 and xhtml as well as html5,
gmn17
Member **

ahhhh! doctype,

Postby gmn17 » 01/22/11, 8:13 am

where I said (&lt and &gt;)

should be (&lt; and &gt;)
gmn17
Member **

Next

Return to Site Stuff