Why no updates?

Shell City and/or Daily Rotation -- Got something to say?

Postby bob » 12/24/10, 5:16 pm

And seeing as this is Christmas Day

Yes, but only in Australia, Argentina, and Antarctica, where Christmas marks the middle of the summer. (Bar-B-Que, anyone?) Up on the northern side of the planet here, we have to wait till tomorrow (and there's snow on the ground here in St. Louis). Nevertheless, Merry Christmas to all of you, today and tomorrow....
WYSIWTF
bob
BIG GIANT HEAD I Get Free Beer

Postby Don_U » 12/25/10, 3:08 am

Merry xmas you old fart. God bless the family.
I never look back, dahling, it distracts from the now -Edna Mode
Beware of men in white vans at the freeway off ramps selling discount America. It is defective,
contains lead, and is not made here.
Robotic Undertones
Don_U
Senior Member I Get Free Beer

Postby JohnT » 12/26/10, 11:16 am

Merry Christmas and the best in the New Year to all Shell City denizens!!! :P
"A man may be a fool and not know it, but not if he is married."
JohnT

Postby Gerry » 12/27/10, 6:33 am

Don wrote:Gerry,
What would you say about doing a bit of the admin load, if we were to keep this thing going?
I'm very unreliable and have almost no time to spare. Other than that, seeing as I'm being honest here I'll also point out that my sys admin skills have increased a great deal in the last year or two (even just in the last week) and so I should be able to at the very least advise you on how to set things up. But yeah, I must reiterate, I'm very unreliable, so please keep that in mind.
I answer rhetorical questions for my own enjoyment.
Gerry

Postby Don_U » 12/27/10, 10:38 am

Gerry wrote:Other than that, seeing as I'm being honest here I'll also point out that my sys admin skills have increased a great deal in the last year or two (even just in the last week)

'tis true I can see his head from space :lol:

China wants answers...
I never look back, dahling, it distracts from the now -Edna Mode
Beware of men in white vans at the freeway off ramps selling discount America. It is defective,
contains lead, and is not made here.
Robotic Undertones
Don_U

Postby RedRage » 12/27/10, 10:51 pm

Gerry wrote:
What would you say about doing a bit of the admin load, if we were to keep this thing going?
I'm very unreliable and have almost no time to spare. Other than that, seeing as I'm being honest here I'll also point out that my sys admin skills have increased a great deal in the last year or two (even just in the last week) and so I should be able to at the very least advise you on how to set things up. But yeah, I must reiterate, I'm very unreliable, so please keep that in mind.

it would be much easier to have someone set something up who is familiar with the current setup. If Gerry is willing to do it when he has time...
RedRage

Postby Gerry » 12/30/10, 7:18 am

RedRage wrote:
Gerry wrote:

it would be much easier to have someone set something up who is familiar with the current setup. If Gerry is willing to do it when he has time...
It's actually been many years since I've worked on any Shellcity stuff so my current knowledge of the system is almost non existant. Don, you gotta give us a plan of exactly what you want to do.

I think this was a little premature, I would have left up the previous headlines:
"Hang on folks! Shell City is not dead yet. The big giant heads are working on a plan! Also our Message Board and Database are still open (see the sidebars). "
Good intentions are one thing.
Gerry

Postby RedRage » 12/30/10, 11:41 am

as much as i hate to see it go away. I am going to stay out of this project as well
RedRage

Postby Don » 01/02/11, 8:54 am

"Happy New Year" :D

Gerry wrote:I think this was a little premature, I would have left up the previous headlines:
"Hang on folks! Shell City is not dead yet. The big giant heads are working on a plan! Also our Message Board and Database are still open (see the sidebars). "

That particular headline, (quoted from the the front page) went up about two days after I first posted my suggestions, and around the time Bob finally heard from PTRB that he was unable to continue.

It may have seemed premature. The idea originated somewhere about that time.
Definitely not later!

I'm still interested despite any negativity,
and will do whatever little bit I can to bring about our collective desired result.
I can (and have) contributed part of a plan already!
I do not wish to be the sole agent of progress.
RedRage "i wouldn't mind helping out but don't wana do it every day lol

Pity about that backflip Red (but sadly, I think I understand)

If it don't happen, at least I can be happy that we made an effort.

I reckon the Julian Assange debate seems to have bought out a bit of the worst and somewhat niggling aspects from some people and that does not seem like a positive way for us to keep things happening.
(And I think that Bob does not enjoy seeing that side from any of us.)

For the sake of everything we aspire to,
please let us not sink to a lower plain of thought.
Don

Postby Gerry » 01/03/11, 7:18 pm

@Don

You specifically called me out asking for assistance, I'm not being negative, just realistic and honest. Every project needs a leader and you appear in your previous posts to have taken on that role. This doesn't mean you have to do the work, but it does mean you have to point everybody else direction.

As for my comment about the post on the front page being premature. I was saying that it was premature to post about it before any real work had actually been done as then it puts a lot of pressure on everybody.

I see a lot of problems with the long term feasibility of what you are proposing. Posting in one place and then doing a review of all the software to see what we put up seems like a lot of work that will be lumped on one person. Bob worked hard to keep this site running for so long and I doubt it was easy for him.

I think that perhaps it might be better to end SC now than to have it change hands yet again for a brief period till those people give up. I think, leaving everything up, but adding a final post would be the best thing to do right now. In addition to this, adding a Disqus http://disqus.com/ comments section below the post so that everybody who wishes can leave a note of thanks to Bob or words about what Shellcity meant to them. I think this would be a better next step for Shellcity, but that's just my opinion.
Gerry

Postby Don » 01/06/11, 10:48 am

I'm all out of ideas.

I'll just follow Red's example
8) :wink: :twisted: b=- :love: ;:-? ;:o 8) b-= ccc

:cry: cue: "Air Supply"...... (No. 1 top seller) :cry:
fin.
Don

Postby RedRage » 01/07/11, 5:17 am

aaa
RedRage

Postby bob » 01/07/11, 6:37 am

Hey! You guys are going to use up all the smileys! Save some for the rest of us! :oops:
WYSIWTF
bob

Postby vipe » 01/08/11, 7:34 pm

I've seen it mentioned that I switched to Linux but I'm Mac user going on 9 years and it's hard to believe that I've been inactive that long. My suggestion would be something like this:

Upgrade the forum software.

Copy the database into structured forums. Each entry would be a thread and subsequent posts could be used for discussion on said software (or turned off for no commenting). C&Ping it could be done relatively quicker than you imagine.

Now you make it completely community driven for new additions. New threads for the database of software in the forum would be moderated. A group of trusted members could given permission to either approve, edit or disapprove each thread. Once approved it would be shown in the forum.

On the front page, pull from the forum RSS to automatically display the newest software. Keep the old database intact for SEO purposes.

I appreciate all the hard work you put into the site Bob but if you aren't at the helm (pun, get it?) then I don't see anyone able to reproduce the 10+ years of manually updating. It's either time to close the last chapter of SEC or upgrade and automate for the new decade.

Respectively,
~vipe
Brothers of the Leaf
Online cigar community
vipe

Postby Don » 01/09/11, 4:42 am

Good onya,
and welcome back vipe!

Gee!
Those ideas seem vaguely familiar somehow?
(The bit about co-operative decisions anyway)
But, I'm gettin' old, so I must be dreaming or something?

Good to see you again vipe.
Happy New Year and all that....
Sorry about forgetting exactly what op/sys you changed to.

Wow!... has it been 9 years?
Time sure gets away on you! 8)
Last edited by Don on 01/10/11, 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don

PreviousNext

Return to Site Stuff