Daily Rotation on Twitter

Shell City and/or Daily Rotation -- Got something to say?

Postby bob » 12/30/09, 3:38 pm

I know what you mean, Ger. What about sending it to DR Mob ( http://www.dailyrotation.com/m/ )?

Maybe the frame idea is best. But what will that do if I send the tweets through su.pr? Thinking it over....

At any rate, I think I've got it so no repeat tweets will occur.

OK--gotta frame set up-- try this:

http://www.dailyrotation.com/tweet/o.ph ... llcity.net
Last edited by bob on 12/31/09, 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WYSIWTF
bob
BIG GIANT HEAD I Get Free Beer

Postby Gerry » 12/31/09, 6:38 pm

I like the demo you have set up.

Yeah I know there will be a double up of a top frame with su.pr, but I don't think that's too much of an issue. The bar is quite small.
Gerry

Postby bob » 12/31/09, 6:51 pm

any other ideas?
WYSIWTF
bob

Postby Gerry » 01/01/10, 8:22 am

bob wrote:any other ideas?
Just my previous idea about setting up a dynamic page with the article title and description. Then you could also list ads and the other top headlines.
Gerry

Postby Gerry » 01/01/10, 9:28 am

Just clicked on the latest twitter link ( http://www.dailyrotation.com/tweet/o.ph ... um=twitter ) and got "Resource Not Found" in the bottom frame. It's URL was...

http://feeds.newscientist.com/c/749/f/1 ... um=twitter
Gerry

Postby bob » 01/01/10, 1:58 pm

"&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter"

Damn. The links seem to work if it's not there. Had this problem on Daily Rotation long ago with the

"&foo=Happy%20New%20Decade!%2001-01-2010&des=Happy%20New%20Year"

Not sure I remember what the problem was... Taking a look
WYSIWTF
bob

Postby bob » 01/02/10, 12:04 am

Try er again, Ger--think I have it.

Now tell me more about your separate page idea.
WYSIWTF
bob

Postby Gerry » 01/03/10, 4:25 am

Yup works now.

I spoke about the landing page on the first page of this topic: http://www.shellcity.net/phpBB/viewtopi ... rt=0#39190

What part is unclear? Instead of pointing to DR or directly to the page you have a DR page that lists the appropriate headline, it's url and the description and as much detail about the headline as you have. Then below this you can list some other DR top headlines (and ads). Basically it gives DR some benefit from listing the headline on twitter, while at the same time could end up being more helpful to the user who doesn't yet know if they want to bother reading the entire article on a site that is probably going to be bloated with flash ads and take forever to load. It will also give them a chance to see some other top headlines that DR has available.

edit: Also you could set the headline link to load in the current frame so as not to remove the su.pr toolbar and then if the user ends up thumbing up the page I believe that would instead count as a thumb up for your landing page. ;D Which really is fair enough anyway as it also offers any stumble users the same advantage as the original users who landed on that page. I believe digg does something similar with their links, which is why there are so many digg pages on stumble upon.
Gerry

Postby bob » 01/04/10, 11:03 pm

Instead of pointing to DR or directly to the page you have a DR page that lists the appropriate headline, it's url and the description and as much detail about the headline as you have. Then below this you can list some other DR top headlines (and ads).

Yeah, but it's still an intervening page.... Not very amenable to that. I like the frame bar better. (I figured you would too?) Since it shows the page the reader wanted. I don't see any need for ads, and other headlines would be good, but maybe I can do that anyway -- maybe a dropdown box from the frame bar?

I sent in a message to su.pr asking wtf?
WYSIWTF
bob

Postby bob » 01/05/10, 2:43 pm

twitterfeed is down--hardware crash. Just sent in a link through Su.pr. They don't let me keep my frame bar, dirty rats. Apparently they drop it through their processing. It's the "stellar explosion" tweet.
WYSIWTF
bob

Postby bob » 01/07/10, 1:24 am

I tried to set up a retweet button on the frame..... Tired of playing with that. Number of issues there. Same with a dropdown menu for additional headlines. Gonna let those go for a few days. Now working on a method to find "uptrending" headlines instead of just the top headline.

Meanwhile, any other suggestions for upgrades or changes of any type to DR?
WYSIWTF
bob

Postby Gerry » 01/11/10, 2:59 pm

Yeah got a suggestion. Make the main frame's title the title of the link and add a meta description to that page from the description of the link. This way the page can be bookmarked without removing the frame and I can also see what the tab is without having to click on it.

Love the DR twitter feed btw, it's great.
Gerry

Postby bob » 01/11/10, 5:16 pm

Can do.... Give me a day or so. Working on something else at the moment.
WYSIWTF
bob

Postby bob » 01/12/10, 3:52 pm

How are you going to use that meta-description?

Not a problem to give it to you, but I'd rather keep the link simpler. Or are you thinking SEO?

Try this:

http://www.dailyrotation.com/tweet/go2. ... foo=Google is finding out why it?s called hard-ware &des=no-description

Might need to cut and paste it.....
WYSIWTF
bob

Postby Gerry » 01/13/10, 7:10 am

bob wrote:How are you going to use that meta-description?

Not a problem to give it to you, but I'd rather keep the link simpler. Or are you thinking SEO?

Your link works well, but yeah that wouldn't work for the description as you can't fit it in the url.

I was wanting the description so that if I or others was to save the link (either in a browser or bookmarking service such as stumble upon) without escaping the frame, then the bookmark would still have a description for the link.
Gerry

PreviousNext

Return to Site Stuff