Daily Rotation on Twitter

Shell City and/or Daily Rotation -- Got something to say?

Postby Gerry » 12/10/09, 1:10 pm

bob wrote:I think you've hit on something I can do easily with posting when a link reaches a certain number of views. (That would take care of the R and F value, since it will only hit that number once.)
Yup exactly. You only want to get it on the rising before it's known to the majority of people and over time it will just drop off the feed.

bob wrote:BUT, if I use the DR address for each tweet, I'd want something on the top 10 list so it would be clearly visible on the default front page when the reader clicks on the tweet. I could also put something on the front page like HOT LINKS that would include just the tweeted links.
As I said before, I think the landing page should be specific to the headline with as much details as you have available and then advertising showing the advantages of DR, somewhere on that rest of that page (although significantly less noticeable than the headline that was requested).
Gerry
BIG GIANT HEAD I Get Free Beer

Postby bob » 12/10/09, 1:29 pm

twitterfeed seems not to work very well, or maybe they're having some temporary problem, can't even get in
WYSIWTF
bob

Postby Gerry » 12/10/09, 2:59 pm

bob wrote:twitterfeed seems not to work very well, or maybe they're having some temporary problem, can't even get in
I'm able to sign into the account I just created.
Gerry

Postby bob » 12/10/09, 4:35 pm

Thanks Gerry--I am now too. I think I have twitterfeed set up, for now with the top 5 headlines. ( 3 updates every 2 hours--I take it that means they'll post the first 3 items in the rss file every 2 hours--not sure. Got it set to that just for testing. We'll see.) But I thought I had it set up last night too. I also have su.pr set up to post one link every 12 hours, just so I'll know it's working when it starts making use of rss feeds. (Let me know if you notice a su.pr shortened link in one of my tweets.)

Now I'm going to work on the possibility of creating a feed with "Trending Upward" links, as we discussed before -- and setting up a "Trending Upward" display on DR.
WYSIWTF
bob

Postby bob » 12/10/09, 10:39 pm

twitterfeed is just not working--been over it a dozen times.... finally posted something on their message board, joining 225 others with the same problem.
WYSIWTF
bob

Postby Gerry » 12/11/09, 12:16 am

bob wrote:finally posted something on their message board, joining 225 others with the same problem.

lol. oh

did anybody have a solution?
Gerry

Postby bob » 12/11/09, 9:26 am

No--waiting for the site admins to respond. From the looks of things, they are migrating toa more scalable setup and are having some problems.
WYSIWTF
bob

Postby Gerry » 12/11/09, 12:57 pm

well there is always the su.pr api functions that I pointed to earlier.
Gerry

Postby bob » 12/12/09, 4:40 pm

I'm just going to work on the scripting of the feed for now--maybe one of these services will come to life meanwhile.
WYSIWTF
bob

Postby bob » 12/12/09, 9:41 pm

ok, here's what I am doing, kind of roughed out. I've created a feed with 1 headline only. That is the current headline that has gotten X number of clicks (enough clicks that it's clearly of interest, but not so many it's top 10 or so yet..... not sure what number to use yet--been watching patterns--might add a timing element in there, but not sure I have to). That headline will be tweeted. Probably only going to tweet every two hours (not sure yet--as I said before, I don't want to overwhelm the audience with tweets). The tweeted link will point to DR.

At the same time, on the default page of DR, above the current headlines, with appear two headlines--these will be labled as UPTRENDING HEADLINES. The first one will be the one tweeted, and the second will be the second headline with that number of clicks. Or maybe I'll just go with one Uptrend headline--not perfectly sure yet, working on the script for that now.

I dunno, sounds kind of crude.... But that's the current plan....

Here's one flaw--should I put that UPTREND link on everyone's front page? Default or not? or should I make it a choice, like the Top 10? If I make it a choice, and someone who chooses not to display it clinks a DR link from twitter, then they will be confused because the twitter link won't be leading to the headline at all.

Solution? Suggestions? Comments?
WYSIWTF
bob

Postby Gerry » 12/13/09, 7:07 am

bob wrote:Comments?
Yes that does sound very crude. I've already said what I think would be the ideal solution but I'm guessing your going this option as it is the easiest to code?
Gerry

Postby bob » 12/13/09, 1:07 pm

On the other hand if you say that at the 100 view mark, if a link has a ratio above 7 clicks to every 10 views (for example) then it gets added to the top of the rss feed of top headlines, this will be much more accurate at spotting good links instead of just links that a lot of people have seen. If you're only posting links that a lot of people have seen then nobody will bother clicking on them in Twitter, because they will have already seen it somewhere else.

"Views" meaning what, Gerry? The number of people who visited DR and who subscribe to a certain site's feed while that link was available? I.E., the number of individuals who had that link appear among their subscribed feeds?

I admit my way is crude, at least without a time element (and I've figured out how to add that in--but it has other effects too, so I might not... more later after I think it through).

But I think the only practical way to work it is to work from the list of clicked headlines. It's already there, and we have a good idea of interest from its numbers. It's much more indicative than views, which only go to a specific site's popularity, and only vaguely to the subject matter of the headline.

As for "easiest to code," well, maybe, but I have to work within my own limitations.

I've worked out a way the Uptrending headlines can be displayed without the problem indicated in my last post. First, they'll always be on the default page and the page of those who subscribe to that feature. But for those who don't subscribe, but are configured users, I'll use an env factor -- referrer. If referred by twitter, the uptrend headlines will show on their DR config. (I think--have to look closer at twitter referrals)
WYSIWTF
bob

Postby Gerry » 12/16/09, 12:11 pm

bob wrote:"Views" meaning what, Gerry? The number of people who visited DR and who subscribe to a certain site's feed while that link was available? I.E., the number of individuals who had that link appear among their subscribed feeds?
A view being the headline was displayed on a page to the user.

bob wrote:I admit my way is crude, at least without a time element (and I've figured out how to add that in--but it has other effects too, so I might not... more later after I think it through).
"crude" was your word, I was just agreeing.

bob wrote:It's much more indicative than views, which only go to a specific site's popularity, and only vaguely to the subject matter of the headline.
Actually I believe time only goes to a site's popularity. I was talking about clicks per view and as it's a ratio it gives even the least popular site a chance to get a really good headline at the top of the list.

bob wrote:As for "easiest to code," well, maybe, but I have to work within my own limitations.
I was asking just so I'm clear on the reasons behind going with that option.

bob wrote:I've worked out a way the Uptrending headlines can be displayed without the problem indicated in my last post. First, they'll always be on the default page and the page of those who subscribe to that feature. But for those who don't subscribe, but are configured users, I'll use an env factor -- referrer. If referred by twitter, the uptrend headlines will show on their DR config. (I think--have to look closer at twitter referrals)
If you can add &site=twitter to the end of your urls then you can just check the site GET variable that is returned to your script and if it's twitter then output the twitter format.
Gerry

Postby bob » 12/17/09, 11:10 pm

If you can add &site=twitter to the end of your urls then you can just check the site GET variable that is returned to your script and if it's twitter then output the twitter format.

Yep, that'd do it. Thanks, Gerry.
WYSIWTF
bob

Postby bob » 12/20/09, 9:55 pm

Well, I did all the scripting above, got em mostly working. Then I decided to change direction a bit. Just to see how it goes.

So I created a script that will change the new feed only when the number one headline changes. So now, what will be tweeted is the number one headline, but only when it changes -- so no repetition of the same tweet. Now only if twitterfeed or su.pr would start working correctly.... (Any suggestion for another service to try out?)

Once twitterfeed actually starts working (or su.pr) we'll see how that number one headline tweet works out, and then create a second feed using the scripts discussed above.
WYSIWTF
bob

PreviousNext

Return to Site Stuff