Daily Rotation on Twitter

Shell City and/or Daily Rotation -- Got something to say?

Daily Rotation on Twitter

Postby bob » 12/06/09, 1:51 pm

I just created the dailyrotation account, but haven't tweeted yet. It's of course at

http://www.twitter.com/dailyrotation

my intent is to use a script to tweet the top 10 headlines each hour? Or something like that...

It's gount to take a few days for me to come up with a script.... (Unless someone has one? php or perl, preferably, to be run from the server.

I don't know all the ins and outs of twitter, so any advice would make me gratitudineous.
WYSIWTF
bob
BIG GIANT HEAD I Get Free Beer

Postby bob » 12/06/09, 6:25 pm

Hmmmm... Maybe once a day would be better. Top 5 headlines?
WYSIWTF
bob

Postby bob » 12/06/09, 10:24 pm

4 times a day?

9 am London, 9 am New York, 9 am LA, and 9 am Hong Kong?

I've got a script, but it's not simple as I'd like and will take some working over.
Last edited by bob on 12/06/09, 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WYSIWTF
bob

Postby bob » 12/06/09, 11:18 pm

I would suggest you use http://su.pr/ It's a sister site to stumbleUpon. It allows you to easily post the exact same message to Twitter and Facebook and at the same time it of course Stumbles it. It also tracks clicks on your links, lets you set the time you want them posted and just pretty damn cool. Best of all, they have an API for doing it:
http://www.stumbleupon.com/developers/S ... tion/#post

Pretty much every time I post something to twitter or FB, I have done so through su.pr. It's really very convenient and useful.

Regarding Gerry's suggestion--Got a su.pr account, but when I use the shortened links, it takes me to the target inside a stumbleupon frame.... Is it supposed to work like that?

Clearly, I will need shortened urls (unless I just give headlines and the DR url for all. That way users come to DR, where the Top 10 list is first thing on the default page--but maybe the extra click/step is a pita for the user?)
WYSIWTF
bob

Postby Gerry » 12/07/09, 1:08 am

Fuck, I forgot about that frame. At first I was gonna say forget about using it, but then I though, you would want a DR landing page anyway so that they don't go straight to the link and never even get to see your site. The landing page could have the link, title and description as well as the rest of the top headlines listed below. Then users get a chance to stumble your page (=D) and you still have the ability to post to FB, twitter and have URL shortening.
Gerry

Postby bob » 12/07/09, 2:13 pm

Maybe I could send them to the mobile site. It would have the top headlines and descriptions. Then in my 140 character post I'd have room for more headlines. With only one link, I'd be far better off. And it'd give the audience a sense of the scope of dr. But it always irritates me when I have to go to an intervening link. Damn, that 140 character limit hurts...
WYSIWTF
bob

Postby bob » 12/07/09, 8:04 pm

OK, I was thinking maybe 3 or 5 headlines at a time, but I can't see any way to fit any more than 1 into a tweet on an ongoing basis, without taking the chance of sort of automatically reducing the headlines to nonsense with my posting robot seeing to it that we come in under 140 characters--actually, there's the same chance with just one headline, but the probability of its being cut off at 140 turning it into nonesense is smaller. Example--look at the way the washington post and new york times do it here: http://www.shellcity.net/phpBB/twitt.html a single headline for each tweet.

You want to get 5 DR tweets each morning with the top 5 headlines?

Ideas?
WYSIWTF
bob

Postby bob » 12/08/09, 1:22 am

Gerry--you know anything about su.pr's "RSS to Twitter & Facebook"? Go to your account and look under "Settings" at the bottom of the page. If that is what it appears to be, then all I need do is set up an auto rss file feed. Nothing to it.... (There is a question whether su.pr's gizmo is currently working or not.)
WYSIWTF
bob

Postby Gerry » 12/08/09, 10:24 am

bob wrote:Gerry--you know anything about su.pr's "RSS to Twitter & Facebook"? Go to your account and look under "Settings" at the bottom of the page. If that is what it appears to be, then all I need do is set up an auto rss file feed. Nothing to it.... (There is a question whether su.pr's gizmo is currently working or not.)

Wow. No I don't know what it is and hadn't seen it before. However it does appear that it work as you are thinking and really it makes sense for them to allow you to do this. I say give it a shot with your regular feed for a bit and see if they get posted to your twitter. :)
Gerry

Postby bob » 12/08/09, 4:18 pm

ok, got it set up with a DR RSS 0.91 feed. Supposed to post one update each hour -- let's see what happens. According to su.pr "The company has this in progress."

http://getsatisfaction.com/stumbleupon/ ... witterfeed

You probably already know about twitterfeed.com too, Gerry? But I kind of like the advantages of stumbleupon, or my own script. But still and all, is twitter really a proper medium for rss feeds? It really needs to be used sparingly. Why would anyone want to receive 10 DR twits a day, even if they have the 10 top headlines... Hell, why not just go to the site? I do like the idea of posting on stumbleupon though. They've always been a good referrer even without any effort on my part.

update: the su.pr feed machine is pretty clearly not working...
WYSIWTF
bob

Postby Gerry » 12/09/09, 2:11 am

Na I didn't know about twitterfeed. Thanks for the tip off! You should try it if su.pr isn't working. Su.pr probably copied the idea from them and are thus still working on it. :)

Let me tell you, people post a heck of a lot of shit to Twitter, your headlines would be a welcome change! Maybe stick it to the top 4 per day or something like that. Personally I think the best solution would be to find the level where you know a headline is popular and post it to your feed the instant it reaches that level. Success on twitter relies on your ability to post before anybody else. This way some days you might end up posting 10 and other days just 3 or something like that. :) That would be ideal. Or perhaps if a headline reaches a certain level within a certain number of views of that headline. That would probably post only the best ones. :)

edit: Or you could calculate it's views to level ratio and if it's over a certain number and the ratio is over a certain level then post it. That's probably the best algorithm yet as it takes care of a lot of things that could corrupt the results.
Gerry

Postby bob » 12/09/09, 10:31 am

people post a heck of a lot of shit to Twitter, your headlines would be a welcome change

Until you've gotten the first ten posts. My original idea was to post the top 10 headlines, in one tweet, maybe twice a day. That's clearly impossible given twitter's content restraints. One tweet is good, 10 tweets is a pain in the ass..... But still thinking....

you could calculate it's views to level ratio

I understand the first number, views, as number of views (well, really, clicks), but what is the "level" number?

Say, headline number 6, with 1000 clicks, versus headline number 8 with only 250 clicks?

so 6:1000 would be better than 8:250 ????

I think I've got a better idea though--fast rising headlines are better than falling headlines in light of getting it out there first, so you'd want to find the headlines that received the greatest number of clicks in the shortest amount of recently passed time, say, the last hour... n'est-ce pas? How to script that in Perl?
WYSIWTF
bob

Postby Gerry » 12/09/09, 2:16 pm

OK I wasn't sure if you'd mentioned publically that you were using clicks so instead I used the word "level". Here it is again, modified...

Gerry wrote:Personally I think the best solution would be to find the number of clicks where you know a headline is popular and post it to your feed the instant it reaches that number. Success on twitter relies on your ability to post before anybody else. This way some days you might end up posting 10 and other days just 3 or something like that. :) That would be ideal. Or perhaps if a headline reaches a certain number of clicks within a certain number of views of that headline. That would probably post only the best ones. :)

edit: Or you could calculate it's views to number of clicks ratio and if it's over a certain number of views (so that there is a large enough sample group) and the ratio at a level you have determined to represent popularity, then post it. That's probably the best algorithm yet as it takes care of a lot of things that could corrupt the results.

I originally did think comparing clicks against time, however time is very misleading. If a fantastic article pops up on a page that isn't viewed by a lot of people during the time limit you set, then even if it's clicked on by every single person that sees it, it may never be considered popular to the algorithm you describe. A link can not get a click by a user who hasn't seen it, no matter how good it is. On the other hand if you say that at the 100 view mark, if a link has a ratio above 7 clicks to every 10 views (for example) then it gets added to the top of the rss feed of top headlines, this will be much more accurate at spotting good links instead of just links that a lot of people have seen. If you're only posting links that a lot of people have seen then nobody will bother clicking on them in Twitter, because they will have already seen it somewhere else.

What I describe is only a starting algorithm though, a good base to build off of. You may want to include many different factors (such as time as you have said) in order to increase relevance to viewers of the feed, but I think you should focus the weighting on clicks/views
Gerry

Postby bob » 12/09/09, 6:17 pm

I've got a headache... But I still luv ya.... I'll come back and read this later again. The hard part will be to code it, I think. Random thoughts brainstorming: I currently don't track the time of a click, only the date. I'm using Perl on all the "Top Headline" stuff. How to differentiate between rising and falling popularity (since a falling link will have more clicks too, just as a rising one will.) I think you've hit on something I can do easily with posting when a link reaches a certain number of views. (That would take care of the R and F value, since it will only hit that number once.) If the number is high enough, obviously the link will be of interest. BUT, if I use the DR address for each tweet, I'd want something on the top 10 list so it would be clearly visible on the default front page when the reader clicks on the tweet. I could also put something on the front page like HOT LINKS that would include just the tweeted links.
WYSIWTF
bob

Postby bob » 12/09/09, 9:48 pm

OK, I've got an auto-feed ready to go from DR. Just the Top 5 headlines. I had to set it up as RSS 2.0 to put a pubDate in it. Just a crude time for now, the time the script writes the xml file. Lots of work to come on that I think.... Trying Su.pr again, and if that doesn't work, I'll try twitterfeed. (I think the time element is necessary for these services to distinguish updates--it definitely is for twitterfeed, not sure about su.pr -- damn, there's not much documentation availble for su.pr.)
WYSIWTF
bob

Next

Return to Site Stuff