Firefox 3.5.5

Shell City and/or Daily Rotation -- Got something to say?

Firefox 3.5.5

Postby bob » 11/10/09, 4:25 pm

I'm hearing reports of problems with Daily Rotation on Firefox 3.5.5 Can anyone confirm or deny? The report says

What happens when I am in Firefox is that when I click a link it opens to a new tab. The main tab then 'locks' up for a period of time, perhaps as long as 30 seconds.

I appreciate your help....
WYSIWTF
bob
BIG GIANT HEAD I Get Free Beer

Postby xXJackXx » 11/11/09, 1:45 am

main tab doesn't lock up for me. Just opened a bunch of random links from DR.

I do notice a slight pause on the new tab when its changing the URL from what DR uses to the actual site URL.

eg:
DR URL: http://www.dailyrotation.com/cgi-bin/linez2/load.cgi?http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/ZDNetBlogs/~3/Psc6djjTEX8/&foo=Logitech gobbles up LifeSize; Enters video conferencing 11-10-2009&des=Logitech, a maker of Webcams and other peripherals, will acquire LifeSize Communications for $405 million in cash. The move puts Logitech into the middle of the video conferencing market.

Site URL: http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=27137
xXJackXx
Member ****

Postby bob » 11/11/09, 2:06 am

Thanks, Jack
WYSIWTF
bob

FF 3.5.5

Postby vaxen » 12/04/09, 2:17 am

FF has bugs. SOunds to me like you need to get into your about:config and hack that sucker till your browser screams. There is an application called "FIretune" you may want to look into as it does all the necessary about:config, can do it all by hand in your user.js or profs.js, easily. It's a nice app. There is onlty one network.http setting that I had to change by hand.

I'd been mucking around in the about:config with various shades of satisfaction but it was a constant thing evr since I started to use FF as my default browser years ago.

Since I'm on dial-up and get max at 28.8 kbps every single speed tweak I can make is absolutely necessary. Overall I get fast web but it's not broadband. ;)

There are a number of sites which go into about:config hacking in depth and you might want to type that into google search just for the fun of it.

Pipelining, if you're using broadband, is absolutely necessary and setting it to true, plus also tweaking the relative tweaks, will speed up page load time and that nagging FF 'hang.' But the hang requires a bit more tweaking too such as your "nglayout.initialpaint.delay" which you can profit by setting it to 0.

There are more tweaks like "content.max.tokenizing.time, content.notify.interval, content.switch.threshold, which also must be tweaked out of they're defaults.

It is said that FF comes out of the box configured for dial-up but till I began tweaking about:config it was a slow and miserable pig. Hogg, too...

Lots of other settings can be toyed with at great benefit. I guess I should just copy the main ones down here, eh? Can't do that now but if you'd like me to I'll do it soon.

All in all Ilove FF 3.5.5 and she's still my default browser. I've got the new Opera 10.10 with unite but haven't used it for days. Opera used to be my default browser but when I switched to FF and learned how to tweak it, well... Fat lady's gonna have to sing a helluva lot purdier. ;)

Google Chrome, I've the latest beta, is now hot on becoming my default browser especially since I'm doing Google Wave and lots of other 'Googley' things and can drag and drop .crx themes. Jedi Knight has made some really great themes which I now use almost exclusively.

Yo! Getting a bit verbose here and this isn't a *nix box or site so, sorry bout that.

Laterz,

Vax
vaxen
Member *****

Postby Gerry » 12/04/09, 10:19 am

lol Vax. Glad to hear you have seen the tweaking light. ;)
Gerry

Postby bob » 12/04/09, 2:01 pm

I guess I should just copy the main ones down here, eh? Can't do that now but if you'd like me to I'll do it soon.

Please do. Since I switched to ff as default I've really had no problems with speed or hangups -- on broadband -- but I want to see what you've done Vax. If there's enough, and you can explain each one, why not start a new thread with it, and I'll list it on the front page for all our visitors to make use of, maybe get some good comments from them too.

BTW, I think well of Chtome too--but just doesn't seem to have the versatility of ff, yet anyway.
WYSIWTF
bob

about:config hacks

Postby vaxen » 12/05/09, 4:37 am

Bob, here is a link that might solve all your questions scads better than I ever could. I still have tons of hacks but this is a good place to start and if you want more I'll gladly paste some up...

But, after awhile even the most die hard FF about:config hacker is gonna get fed up with it. Since you've broadband access and have good speed I'd say no need to muck but do check out this link if you get the time:

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/ ... out_config

He goes fairly in depth into how to muck the barn out but his is not the whole story though a good place to start for sure and also maybe stop there too as it gets quite sticky after awhile.

After perusal please let me know if you still want me to paste some stuff up and I'll be more than happy to do it. BTW I was thinking that you could benefit from twitter if you'd like to bring more people to shellcity. I do advertise there "the presence" of my favorite site but you could do so much more.

You don't have to get into the day to day muck and can pick and choose who to follow. As word gets around you'll get good copy I'm sure. Daily Rot is something a lot of people on twitter could use as well as maingate softwarez... ;) Just a thought.

Yo, Gerry! ☺§☻
vaxen
Member *****

Postby bob » 12/05/09, 11:27 pm

ok, Vax...

Now here's an idea -- What if I created a DR Twittter accoun, and using a script, tweet the top 10 headlines each hour? Or something like that...

Bob
WYSIWTF
bob

Yeah!

Postby vaxen » 12/06/09, 3:33 am

I think that would be a marvelous addition to anyone's twitter 'list.' I'd love it for sure... Pretty please☺§☻
vaxen
Member *****

Postby bob » 12/06/09, 1:39 pm

I'll look into it--I just created the dailyrotation account, but haven't tweeted yet. It's of course at

http://www.twitter.com/dailyrotation

It's gount to take a few days for me to come up with a script.... (Unless someone has one? php or perl, preferably, to be run from the server.
WYSIWTF
bob

Postby Gerry » 12/06/09, 9:56 pm

Yeah that's a really great idea Vax and Bob. Twitter is pretty good for getting traffic and yeah I think it would be perfect for DR! :)
Gerry

Postby bob » 12/06/09, 10:23 pm

I've moved this DR on Twitter issue to a new thread....
WYSIWTF
bob

Postby Gerry » 12/06/09, 10:53 pm

[Bob has quoted me http://www.shellcity.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=6147 , so removing the post. Bob feel free to remove this and yours below]
Last edited by Gerry on 12/07/09, 12:55 am, edited 3 times in total.
Gerry

Postby bob » 12/06/09, 10:59 pm

Thanks, Gerry--I'll take a look.
WYSIWTF
bob

Return to Site Stuff