DR Mobile

Shell City and/or Daily Rotation -- Got something to say?

Postby Gerry » 11/05/09, 8:56 am

bob wrote:More if I smallen the font (which I think would be a serious mistake.)

Take a look at the free New York Times App, Gerry. See what you think of that. I've pretty much taken that as my guide for readability.

The NYT app uses a much smaller font than DR Mobile does and their headlines are seperated by thin lines which DR doesn't do.
Gerry
BIG GIANT HEAD I Get Free Beer

Postby bob » 11/05/09, 1:51 pm

I didn't say I was copying the app, just using it as a guide. As for the font -- In the headline section, they look bigger on the app than on DR to me. And I haven't customized the app. So where are we going wrong here?
WYSIWTF
bob

Postby bob » 11/08/09, 8:42 pm

OK, this might be the discrepancy. DR has relative fonts, nyt has fixed (you can change them in the settings). My NYT settings show 14 pt as the largest, 10.5 pt fonts as default. DR with relative fonts though, could show anything--what are the safari font settings on your Gf's phone, Gerry?

Other changes in DR Mobile--instead of making phones pull up DR mobile automatically, I think I'll jusy make DR show a message when a phone accesses it--something like "If you're on a phone, you should try DR Mobile." That'll solve all the problems in configuring the full site when it wants to go automatically to the phone version.

Also, I need to fix a couple link bugs. And fix the problem of multiple characters without spaces and wrapping -- easy stuff....

Then the big introduction?

Gerry, you there?
WYSIWTF
bob

Postby bob » 11/09/09, 8:45 pm

instead of making phones pull up DR mobile automatically, I think I'll jusy make DR show a message when a phone accesses it--something like "If you're on a phone, you should try DR Mobile."

implemented that. What do you think? Better than an automatic passthrough?
WYSIWTF
bob

Postby bob » 11/10/09, 5:05 am

been trying to fix that tooltip bug....

Gerry wrote

You could either disable the tooltips for iphone as they don't show up till it's too late anyway, or you currently have onMouseOut="hideddrivetip()" on each link, you could add onClick="hideddrivetip()". There are probably other options too.

I'll diddle with this later... Probably just disable for phones all together....
WYSIWTF
bob

Postby Gerry » 11/11/09, 3:54 pm

bob wrote:what are the safari font settings on your Gf's phone, Gerry?

I don't think you can change them on the iphone, can you?

bob wrote:
instead of making phones pull up DR mobile automatically, I think I'll jusy make DR show a message when a phone accesses it--something like "If you're on a phone, you should try DR Mobile."

implemented that. What do you think? Better than an automatic passthrough?

I liked auto better.
Gerry

Postby bob » 11/11/09, 11:11 pm

I don't think you can change them on the iphone, can you?

I guess not--can't find a setting anywhere. So why are your fonts different from mine?

I liked auto better.

Food for thought. Kind of screws things up though, because I'll need to set up DR so it can be configured using http://www.dailyrotation.com/?full as the site link.... Remember, we still have page refreshes for many of the config options. And that refresh'll just sent the user to the phone version if it's an automatic passthrough.
WYSIWTF
bob

Postby Gerry » 11/26/09, 1:56 am

bob wrote:I guess not--can't find a setting anywhere. So why are your fonts different from mine?

I didn't say there were, are they? Post a screen shot:

http://su.pr/6I3Lf1 wrote:press and hold the "Home" button at center bottom of the iPhone, then press and release the "Sleep" button on top right of the iPhone. This causes the iPhone to "flash" white briefly and the image is added to your "camera roll" on the phone.

Navigate to the iPhone "Camera Roll" application and you'll see the screen snapshot you just made as the last image on the roll. It's a high quality image in jpg format which you can email to yourself, so you can save it and upload to your blog or web site.
Gerry

Postby bob » 11/29/09, 12:59 pm

which you can email to yourself, so you can save it and upload to your blog or web site

or you can just get it from the images directory on your iphone--I'll do this later
WYSIWTF
bob

Postby Gerry » 11/29/09, 2:53 pm

Gerry wrote:I didn't say there were, are they? Post a screen shot
Pretty sure I meant to put a "please" in there somewhere. Sorry bout that.
Gerry

Postby bob » 11/29/09, 9:48 pm

I changed the style of the headlines again--more readable, and less likelihood of mistakenly clicking something while scrolling on a touch screen. What do you think? Previously, the headlines were the links.

http://www.dailyrotation.com/m/
WYSIWTF
bob

Postby Gerry » 12/01/09, 7:29 am

Using it again last night and I definitely wished the iphone version was loading up by default. Not doing so was only wasting my bandwidth and time as the regular version was slow to load and to switch to the lite version I would have to then load a second page and wait even longer, which is the total opposite of what you want for a mobile version of your site.

Just lettin you know.

edit: just noticed you post above. I didn't bother going to the iphone version last night for the reasons given below so I don't know how it looks on the iphone, but I certainly like the thinking! It look fantastic and I think you are right about the scrolling. I'll give it a shot a little later where there is a iphone around. :) ;)
Gerry

Postby bob » 12/01/09, 12:59 pm

>>>Using it again last night and I definitely wished the iphone version was loading up by default.

But once you click on the mob version, you can just book it, and not have to go through the main page again.

On the other hand, I guess I might make it the default, but then I need a better way to provide the full site on the phone--you can't really easily access and configure the full site if the mob version is the default. All non-ajax item configs rely on page reloads, which won't happen on the phone with mob forced on the reader as the default.
WYSIWTF
bob

Previous

Return to Site Stuff