DR Mobile

Shell City and/or Daily Rotation -- Got something to say?

DR Mobile

Postby bob » 06/29/09, 1:35 am

OK, here's the idea. Although you can pull DR into some phones and read it pretty easily there are still a few problems -- the whole site, even at default, really displays too large for easy reading on a small screen. And because of the massive amount of config options, it's not as lightweight as it could be for fast phone downloads.

So, the mobile version will be single column (actually, no columns, just free floating lists of headlines, starting with the Top 10 headlines, followed by the lists of headlines from each chosen site), with the config options on a separate page, except for possibly the font size, which will be handily located up top. Not sure where to go with CSS (fonts use it, colors, etc...)

We'll see -- still thinking it over. You can see it'll be easy enough to build, once it's figured out. I'd like to have your input on that....
WYSIWTF
bob
BIG GIANT HEAD I Get Free Beer

Postby Gerry » 10/10/09, 8:22 pm

Do you have an iphone Bob?
Gerry

Postby bob » 10/10/09, 10:53 pm

Not yet--been too lazy to pick one up, though it's just a trip to the phone store... That's part of what's holding up DR Mobile too.... Don't want to finish it without a phone to try it on (yes, I know the iPhone doesn't need a special website setup... But it would help. Wouldn't need to keep expanding and contracting the screen, etc...

My latest thinking on DR Mobile will be that it just lists the Top 100 Headlines. That would avoid all the config issues with JS...
WYSIWTF
bob

Postby Gerry » 10/10/09, 11:35 pm

bob wrote:Don't want to finish it without a phone to try it on
Yeah that would be a good idea. I noticed a bug when looking at DR last night on the gf's iphone. Safari for Windows may have the same issue though. The text in the menu at the top is too big so goes outside of the graphic which has been alloted for it.

bob wrote:(yes, I know the iPhone doesn't need a special website setup... But it would help. Wouldn't need to keep expanding and contracting the screen, etc..
I agree. Did you know that you can zoom in exactly on a section of text simply by double tapping on it? Quite handy but I'm not sure how many iphone users know about it. However when you do it on DR it half chops off the bullets and doesn't look that great. Also the font is too large which makes the headlines wrap more than they need to and causes the user to scroll more, which isn't the greatest on the iphone.

Lifehacker seems to have a pretty decent iphone/mobile version which makes the text span the width of the screen and lets the client handle the text wrapping. They also reduce padding at the edges so that the text goes all the way to the sides, although personally on the iphone I though it was a little too close to the left hand edge. They also place a link at the top of every page which allows the user to go to the full version of their site, which is a very good idea as I can imagine some would get annoyed by this version.

My latest thinking on DR Mobile will be that it just lists the Top 100 Headlines. That would avoid all the config issues with JS...
This is pretty much what I set it up to display. If you had a link to go to the full version I think this would be a good idea.

I think the ideal, but not absoutly necessary, situation would be the following...
1. The above where the user can go to the regular version of dr if they wish.
2. They are provided with the top 100 by default
3. After signing in (if they wish), the user the user is still presented with the top 100, but also have a drop down (can instead just be a list of links) where they can select any of their other sites. Upon selection the page is refreshed with the top 100 replaced by the headlines from their selection.
4. The config options are available, but from a seperate page.
Gerry

Postby bob » 10/10/09, 11:41 pm

Thanks, Gerry -- definitely food for thought. My thinking is in line with Lifehacker's -- let the phone do the formatting. There are so many different phone's out there that anything else would be suicide. The whole logo (so to speak) will be reduced size, with just the words "Daily Rotation Mobile" and maybe "Top 100 News Stories". I could do what you're saying about the reader being able to switch to a picks -- I think... We'll see. Don't want any clutter. Simplicity.
WYSIWTF
bob

Postby Gerry » 10/22/09, 2:02 am

Used it again and was reminded of a bug. When you click on a link and then come back to dr, you will have a tooltip covering the text. You can make this go away by tapping on an empty part of the screen, but this isn't obvious. Also you of course don't see this tooltip until after clicking on the page at which point there isn't much use for it.

Image showing the tooltip that now exists after coming back from the page you just clicked on:
Gerry

Postby bob » 10/22/09, 2:58 am

Never noticed that before -- only occurs if you open new window in same window, same tab. Any ideas on how to solve?

And there's a much larger bug -- maybe you never noticed. Has to do with deleting and then adding sites.
WYSIWTF
bob

Postby Gerry » 10/22/09, 9:34 am

bob wrote:Never noticed that before -- only occurs if you open new window in same window, same tab.
Sorry what? I didn't understand that, but anyway, for me it happens all the time. From the default DR, I set it to display top 100, then select "1SRC News" (first headline checkbox) as DR requires me to have at least one before I can save the config. I save and then click on a link in the top 100. I don't see the tooltip, but the link launches in a new window. I read the link. When finished I press the button that shows me the current safari windows, I close the article and click back on the DR window. This is the point at which I took the screenshot showing the tooltip covering the text. I assume this is because the mouseover happens during the click on the link and then safari doesn't ever mouse out before switching to the article window.

... actually according to something I just read, for iphone, onmouseover and onmouseout is apparently more like onfocus and onblur. So when you click the link, the link gets focus, but when you come back to the page it will still have focus until you click on something else.

bob wrote:Any ideas on how to solve?

You could either disable the tooltips for iphone as they don't show up till it's too late anyway, or you currently have onMouseOut="hideddrivetip()" on each link, you could add onClick="hideddrivetip()". There are probably other options too.

bob wrote:And there's a much larger bug -- maybe you never noticed. Has to do with deleting and then adding sites.
Nope haven't noticed as I only really look at the top 100 and don't delete sites.
Gerry

Postby bob » 10/22/09, 1:32 pm

no mouseovers planned. Something like this:

http://www.dailyrotation.com/m/

Highly beta. I think I want the headline font a little larger than the text, and a couple other things... Open to comments and critiques

What would you think of an iPhone App for this? Shouldn't be much more than a bookmark? (For a similar one. look at the free New York Times App)
Last edited by bob on 10/25/09, 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
WYSIWTF
bob

Postby xXJackXx » 10/22/09, 10:15 pm

What would you think of an iPhone App for this? Shouldn't be much more than a bookmark?

As long as you still have the mobile page available since not everyone uses an iPhone for mobile browsing......
xXJackXx
Member ****

Postby bob » 10/22/09, 10:23 pm

yep, Jack
WYSIWTF
bob

Postby bob » 10/26/09, 12:55 am

I've broken it into two pages--the first gets you the top 20, and the second gets you the following 80.

Fonts are kind of a bitch -- if I add the WAP document type, suddenly the fonts (which are relatively sized) are suddenly a lot bigger.... So I'm using

DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/loose.dtd

Think this makes much of a difference?

I tried to follow best practices:

http://www.w3.org/TR/mobile-bp/

(summary)

http://www.wired.com/beyond_the_beyond/ ... ce-design/

I'm starting to work now on automatic detection of mobile devices so readers'll get the apt page when they come to the site. Got some scripts--might be able to get that done tomorrow.
WYSIWTF
bob

Postby Gerry » 10/26/09, 4:40 am

Haven't tried this yet, but it looks good.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/wurfl/

and some php code for it:

http://wurfl.sourceforge.net/php/

Haven't had a chance to check out the new DR on an iphone yet as I've been in the country for a few days so didn't have net access.
Gerry

Postby bob » 10/26/09, 11:22 pm

Thanks, Gerry--that's one I'm looking at.
WYSIWTF
bob

Postby Gerry » 10/27/09, 10:54 am

cool, seemed to be the best one :)
Gerry

Next

Return to Site Stuff