PCs without OS: Microtel SYSMAR511 Review

Got my hammer out, and now I'm gonna open the box
bob
BIG GIANT HEAD I Get Free Beer

Post by bob » 05/30/02, 1:31 pm

PCs without OS: Microtel SYSMAR511 Review
By Eugenia Loli-Queru - Posted on 2002-05-30 20:48:18
Microtel, the company that supplies Wal-Mart with PCs without an operating system pre-installed, kindly sent us in one of their models for a review. They sent us a Microtel SYSMAR511, which consists of an 1.4 GHz AthlonXP 1600+, 256 MB DDR memory, MSI motherboard and a 40 GB ATA-100 Samsung hard drive. Read more on how the PC performed under Linux, Windows and BeOS.

http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=1145

AndrewB

Post by AndrewB » 05/30/02, 2:14 pm

Nice article! Personally, I'll be doing with what I have until sometime next year because the AMD Sledgehammer and faster DDR (333 or 666 [yay satanic!]) will make everything out now instantly hideously obselete, therefore making every investment between basically the beginning of the XP+ line onward a waste of the buyer's money.

I myself also build all my own systems, but I'm really glad that WalMart is selling machines w/out winblows infected drives because it gives the avarage user a chance to try new and better alternatives without having to needlessly fork over money to M$.

I've talked to many new computer buyers, and those who know what Linux is (very generally though of course, and gradually, a *lot* of "normal users" have heared of it before) and most say that they would try it if they werent forced to buy Windows w/ the prebuilt.
Joe User: "I'd like to try it, but if I erase windows, I'll be throwing away my money!"

Many are unaware or can't seem to understand for some reason that Linux can be installed on the same drive either by repartitioning or installing it right onto the Windows partition if there's no extra space. Because of this, the blank-drive policy is very productive in raising awareness and giving opertunities.

JohnT

Post by JohnT » 06/02/02, 1:58 am

Or you could read about it .....<a href="http://www.shellcity.net/phpBB/viewtopi ... 4">HERE</a>

JohnT

Post by JohnT » 06/02/02, 4:44 am

Why did the onsite link I gave in the above reply, show up as a "NEW" (top-most) post in this forum category?