BIOS chip change?

Got my hammer out, and now I'm gonna open the box
theelf

Post by theelf » 05/16/02, 2:36 pm

Anyone have any experience changing a bios chip?
I got a machine that won't boot and gives checksum errors. I tried flashing the bios but because of the bios guardian which I can't disable without first getting to the bios setup gives more errors. Anyway I got a new bios chip comming but never having had any experience with this I could use some pointers. Award bios on a FIC AZ11 MB

AndrewB
BIG GIANT HEAD I Get Free Beer

Post by AndrewB » 05/17/02, 9:03 am

your kit should come w/ some kinda pliers type tool to take off the old chip so you can put the new one in the little socket. Never done this before (flashing though yes many times), so i cant tell you anything more than that.
Keep Your Assets & ID Private! Can you afford not to?

JohnT

Post by JohnT » 05/17/02, 9:59 am

I assume you've already eliminated any type of physical memory problem? Bios, depends on who you bought it from. Majority come with complete instructions and tools.

<font class=editedby>[ This Message was edited by: JohnT on 2002-05-17 18:01 ]</font>

theelf

Post by theelf » 05/17/02, 10:56 am

Thans guys.
The problem came about because of a utility included with the FIC AZ11 MB - LogoGenie - lets you change the Logo on the BIOS start screen. I went thru all the steps on a pratice run and everthing seemed to be OK so I disabled the write protection and tried it for real. Well something didn't go right so now I get a checksum error. I tried reflashing the BIOS but because of the BIOS Guard which prevents it from being written to I am unable to do so. I contacted the people at FIC and thier explaination was that sometimes things go wrong even if you go thru all the steps correctly. Anyway they are sending me a new BIOS chip but never having changed one I thought I should get some experienced help on the subject.

<font class=editedby>[ This Message was edited by: theelf on 2002-05-17 18:59 ]</font>

AndrewB

Post by AndrewB » 05/17/02, 12:18 pm

yup that would do it- NEVER trust those things. what site did you get the instructions from? If i can see the link I'll know if its the same page i got info for and if so thats definately the reason.
<!-- BBCode Quote Start --><TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font class=postbody>Quote:</font><HR width=100% color=#333333 SIZE=1></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT class=quote><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2002-05-17 18:56, theelf wrote:
Thans guys.
The problem came about because of a utility included with the FIC AZ11 MB - LogoGenie - lets you change the Logo on the BIOS start screen. I went thru all the steps on a pratice run and everthing seemed to be OK so I disabled the write protection and tried it for real. Well something didn't go right so now I get a checksum error. I tried reflashing the BIOS but because of the BIOS Guard which prevents it from being written to I am unable to do so. I contacted the people at FIC and thier explaination was that sometimes things go wrong even if you go thru all the steps correctly. Anyway they are sending me a new BIOS chip but never having changed one I thought I should get some experienced help on the subject.

<font class=editedby>[ This Message was edited by: theelf on 2002-05-17 18:59 ]</font>
</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR width=100% color=#333333 SIZE=1></TD></TR></TABLE><!-- BBCode Quote End -->

theelf

Post by theelf » 05/17/02, 12:41 pm

It came on a CD with the MB. I think thats why FIC was willing to replace it apparently without charge.

AndrewB

Post by AndrewB » 05/17/02, 1:33 pm

oh. wait... It was an Award BIOS right?
Keep Your Assets & ID Private! Can you afford not to?

theelf

Post by theelf » 05/18/02, 12:58 am

Award.

theelf

Post by theelf » 05/22/02, 5:04 pm

I recieved the new bios chip in the mail today. In the meantime I have managed to do some reading on the subject. Guess what? Those people sent me a blank chip. There isn't even a boot block on it because after installing it and turning on the power
, pressing the power button I get no floppy or hard drive access. I don't even get the beeps thru the case speaker. After about 5 seconds it turns the power off. Guess I'll have to find someone who has an eprom flasher. If this is the best thier Techichal Assistance Dept can do its not a very good recomendation for FIC