XP Damaged ?? Please Please help!

Got my hammer out, and now I'm gonna open the box
paulj

Post by paulj » 04/16/02, 8:19 am

hi i have been using XP and ME on my computer, on seperate partitions (NTFS/FAT32) and they have been working fine for about 2 months now.

but, now on the screen where i select which OS i want to boot up, and i select "Windows XP Professional" i get the message saying

'Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
<Windows root>System32hal.dll.
Please re-install a copy of the above file.'

If i select "Windows Millenium" then it boots up fine into ME.

does anyone have any idea how i can fix this without formatting my NTFS drive (as i have some VERY important work on it) ? i tried one option on the XP setup cd, called 'Automated Recovery' or something like that, but it asked for a Disk labelled "Windows Automated System Recovery Disk" which i dont have. :( So that was no good.

can anyone help me with this problem?
thanks,

Paul

bob
BIG GIANT HEAD I Get Free Beer

Post by bob » 04/16/02, 9:45 am

HAL.DLL is your Hardware Abstraction Layer DLL
If this file gets corrupt or missing you are SOL.. Ay least according to this:
<a href="http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark, ... e=flat">GO THERE!</a>

<font class=editedby>[ This Message was edited by: bob on 2002-04-16 17:46 ]</font>

vipe

Post by vipe » 04/16/02, 10:02 am

I'm still searching for a good answer for you, but herein lies the source of t he problem:

BOOT.INI incorrect or damaged, NTLDR and NTDETECT.COM not present in the root of the active partition, BOOT.INI incorrect or damaged.
Brothers of the Leaf
Online cigar community

JohnT

Post by JohnT » 04/16/02, 11:07 am

Your saying that you don't have a XP cd, and you set up a dual boot? he,he.
Did you make a ERD (emergency repair disk) from your XP install? The files Vipe alludes to are there. If you can get that far get back here and someone can send you the hal.dll.

As to the automated recovery on the setup, did you have the option to choose manually what aspects you wanted to repair? Choose manually and check what aspects need repair.

<font class=editedby>[ This Message was edited by: JohnT on 2002-04-16 19:12 ]</font>

Dark Shadow
Senior Member (Entitled To Root Beer)

Post by Dark Shadow » 04/16/02, 2:33 pm

To get your work off of there, it is quite simple. First, find a computer that has XP on it. If you don't know anyone, then go to your closest computer store with a floppy in hand. Go to My Computer and right-click on the A: drive and click Format. Under format, choose Create Ms-Dos Boot disk. This creates a stripped down version of MS-Dos that boots fine and reads both NTFS files systems and Fat32. This makes it simple to transfer files from the NTFS partition to the Fat32 partition using the Copy command. If this doesn't work, use Partition Magic Pro in Windows ME and convert the XP install to Fat32. Then copy all the files you want off of it. There you go, two solutions for the price of one. Where is my Root Beer? :-)

JohnT

Post by JohnT » 04/16/02, 6:19 pm

(This should apply to ME as installed Fat partition)
Windows 95 and Windows 98 cannot recognize an NTFS partition and will identify it as unknown ( if it sees it at all). Therefore, if you format a Windows 98 partition as FAT, and a Windows 2000/XP partition as NTFS, any files on the NTFS partition will be unavailable if you try to access them while running Windows 98.(Same for MS-Dos), but the inverse is true. You can access fat partitions from NTFS. To repair, boot with your XP setup cd and choose to repair the partition you have XP on. You should be given the choice to manually choose what files you want to repair. Choose to repair the boot sector and system files ( Don't choose automatic). When done you should be able to boot into XP. You'll have to edit your XP boot.ini to reflect your ME install if you still want the dual boot.

<font class=editedby>[ This Message was edited by: JohnT on 2002-04-17 18:41 ]</font>

Dark Shadow

Post by Dark Shadow » 04/17/02, 5:04 pm

John, the new MS-Dos boot disk option in xp allows you to view all NTFS partitions. It can both read and write to them, trust me cuse I've tried. Also, XP works fine in Fat format so if you convert it using Partition Magic, you'll also be fine. Either way, you win.

JohnT

Post by JohnT » 04/18/02, 1:11 am

I stand corrected, on the DOS part if your running in 16 bit protected mode, you can read and write to NTFS. For upgraders from Windows 98, 98SE and ME, it seems that the Windows XP upgrade keeps the FAT32 system when these computers are upgraded. You can convert to the NTFS system after the upgrade.This might be the situation you ran into, hence the ability to read and write from XP to 9X/ME. The only other way to R/W is if you formatted and installed 9X/ME on a 16 rather than 32 bit partition. Then files would be recognized, but a 32 bit cannot rcognize NTFS files without 3rd party software.
Several ways to possibly solve this problem is to reformat the ME partition to 16bit to be able to read the NTFS partition or install MSDOS or DrDOS to read and write. To use the bootdisk scenario, it would have to be formatted and setup as 16 bit.

<font class=editedby>[ This Message was edited by: JohnT on 2002-04-18 09:15 ]</font>