What do you guys think about this machine?

Got my hammer out, and now I'm gonna open the box

What do you guys think about this machine?

Postby bob » 11/29/10, 9:55 pm

* CPU: AMD Phenom™II X4 945 Quad-Core CPU w/ HyperTransport Technology
* HDD: 640GB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache 7200RPM HDD [-19] (Single Hard Drive)
* MEMORY: 8GB (2GBx4) DDR3/1600MHz Dual Channel Memory Module (Corsair or Major Brand)
* MOTHERBOARD: GigaByte GA-870A-UD3 AMD 870/SB850 chipset support DDR3 Ultra Durable™3 Socket AM3 ATX Mainboard w/ 7.1 Audio, GBLAN, Support 6-core CPU, CPU Auto Unlocker, USB3.0, SATA-III, ON/OFF Charge for IPod, RAID, 2 Gen2 PCIe, 2 PCIe X1, & 3 PCI
* SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
* VIDEO: AMD Radeon HD 6850 1GB GDDR5 16X PCIe Video Card (Major Brand Powered by AMD)

$900 (inc. shipping) from CyberPower. Answer quick. I need to order today.

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/Gamer_Dragon_8000/ with a couple tweaks
WYSIWTF
bob
BIG GIANT HEAD I Get Free Beer

Postby RedRage » 11/30/10, 2:44 am

seems a little pricey to me... for that price i would expect a SSD
RedRage

Postby bob » 11/30/10, 3:56 pm

I've passed for the moment. Looking further at SSD. But I have found SSD far less durable than platter drives.
WYSIWTF
bob

Postby RedRage » 11/30/10, 10:04 pm

it depends... like ram there are bad batches that come out also if they support the new features that help them last.

making a drive image is super fast so if you are worried make an image and store it on your data drive.

I have an OCZ Agility2 60gig, getting another for RAID next month if things go as planned. It has been rock solid for months. However I think i read that OCZ and Intel had a bad batch... maybe it was kingston... i do not remember exactly. But other than the bad batches, in general, they are just as reliable as platter and more durable in mobile PCs (no moving parts). Also less power needed and mine is much cooler.

Not to mention things are freak'n fast... windows 7 boots super fast even with all my extra crap and devices.

Speaking of windows 7, you'll want an OS that supports TRIM, i think you are stuck using Linux newer Kernels and Windows 7

I'd go for SSD over 8gb of ram personally. I'm using 2gb now and its more than enough, but going to 3 once my new Power supply gets here this week.

lots of rambling there, but if you get a newer SSD and are running a current OS you "should" be fine.
RedRage

Postby Gerry » 12/01/10, 6:30 pm

RedRage wrote:Speaking of windows 7, you'll want an OS that supports TRIM, i think you are stuck using Linux newer Kernels and Windows 7

specifically >= Linux 2.6.33; released on February 24th, 2010.

The current release of Ubuntu with applied updates is as 2.6.35 and the newest stable Kernel is currently 2.6.36.1.

I'm with you on this though Bob. While SSD speeds sound great, I'm not sure I'd be willing to fork out the money for something that doesn't last as long as my current drives and offers much less capacity for my money. My PC is fast enough the majority of the time. It spends a lot more time waiting for me than I wait for it.
I answer rhetorical questions for my own enjoyment.
Gerry

Postby RedRage » 12/01/10, 6:55 pm

Thanks for the info Gerry.

the reality is... we don't have a clue how long they will last only guestimate. With new items built into the OSs and into the drives for things like TRIM and such it will only get better.

Personally i feel the motors in the hard drives will wear out before I have to worry about the SSD wearing.

Its about what you feel you need. If you are a web browser then yeah it is pointless to put the cash in it. But if you are a graphics editor, gamer or do ANY thing that requires a lot of reads... it is well worth your money.

Adobe CS is QUICK
RedRage

Postby bob » 12/02/10, 2:39 am

I could get a 600 gb 10,000 rpm hard drive..... For $250 extra

Hey! I don't want to go poor on this thing.
WYSIWTF
bob

Postby RedRage » 12/07/10, 9:13 pm

RedRage wrote:....I'm using 2gb now and its more than enough, but going to 3 once my new Power supply gets here this week..

went to 3gb and the windows score went up quite a bit. Haven't noticed a real difference in speed or usability though.

now my lowest score is my processor at 6.2
RedRage

Return to Hardware Issues