The trouble with a iPhone is....

Got my hammer out, and now I'm gonna open the box

Postby bob » 11/20/09, 5:04 am

Just bought my first non-free app for my iphone -- an ftp program, so I can make emergency site repairs. Been playing with it. Any big job would drive you crazy on it, but it'll serve for small matters.
WYSIWTF
bob
BIG GIANT HEAD I Get Free Beer

Re: The trouble with a iPhone is....

Postby RedRage » 01/26/10, 7:27 pm

Gerry wrote:
bob wrote: Although you neglected to mention that the plan went for 2 years. 12*2*30+200=US$920. Personally I would like an iPhone for US$200 with no asterisk, just as it was advertised by mister Jobs. I think that US$920 is way too much to pay for a phone that is locked down as much as the iPhone is. Want to use Google Voice, search for text within a webpage, switch the rotation of the display so that it works while on your side in bed, switch providers? All these things and a lot more, which should be easy, require you to hack your phone and in doing so lose other functionality and void your warranty. Worth US$920? Heck NO!

take into account many of use not in 3g coverage and use WAPs for data.

Data wise not worth it. however i do love the phone for its many other uses especially when jailbroken.
RedRage

Postby bob » 01/26/10, 8:32 pm

I'm in a pretty good 3G area -- never lost coverage yet here in St. louis.
WYSIWTF
bob

Postby RedRage » 01/26/10, 9:45 pm

bob wrote:I'm in a pretty good 3G area -- never lost coverage yet here in St. louis.

I live right between 2 3g low priority zones.. pittsburgh and erie so i'm screwed... i'm rarely out of wifi range and when i am EDGE works fine for email which is usually what i wana do.
RedRage

Re: The trouble with a iPhone is....

Postby Gerry » 01/27/10, 4:32 am

RedRage wrote:however i do love the phone for its many other uses especially when jailbroken.

And that's exactly my point, it's deliberately put in Apple Jail. Most tech people I know who have an iphone have jailbroken it because the phone limitations were pissing them off. However the vast majority of people don't know that it's even an option or how to do so and you shouldn't have to anyway as the phone is $920!!!!
Gerry

Postby RedRage » 01/27/10, 8:02 am

Just wondering what the data plan is for a blackberry with at&t. Last i looked before i got my iPhone 3g it was the same. I think it changed a bit since then and i just read that at&t where adding some other options for iphone users but duno what they are.

They dont hide what it costs, if ya dont wana pay it then dont get it.
RedRage

Postby bob » 01/27/10, 1:56 pm

Might want to search that out Red -- they just reduced unlimited talk plans by $30/mo, and you can get the reduction even if you're under contract.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/10 ... by_30.html
WYSIWTF
bob

Postby Gerry » 01/27/10, 5:00 pm

RedRage wrote:They dont hide what it costs, if ya dont wana pay it then dont get it.

^Thousand words
Gerry

Postby RedRage » 01/27/10, 6:28 pm

Lol fail argument. Every one knows with phones even landline there is going to be a fee for service. If you dont i got some nice people in white jackets that would like to talk to you.

Being a former cell sells man n my free time i know people see the cost of your agreement minus w/o taxes. Dont like how much i costs but im not going to bitch and whine i was wronged because when i got the phone it was all laid out for me. Not only that i had 14 days to back out if i got cold feet.

Dont blame apple or at&t for people not holding up their part of the deal.
RedRage

Postby RedRage » 01/27/10, 6:32 pm

bob wrote:Might want to search that out Red -- they just reduced unlimited talk plans by $30/mo, and you can get the reduction even if you're under contract.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/10 ... by_30.html

im have a family plan of 700 mins. Last month we used 12 mins total inc nghts/weekends. Don think ill worry about it much lol. But ill look some time

im posting from my phone now so please forgive any mistakes. I get going and dont like to back up
RedRage

Postby Gerry » 01/28/10, 3:19 am

Sorry but I don't see an asterisk in the picture, if you can't buy the phone separate from the particular contract that apple have chosen at $199, then the price is not $199. It is $199* or $1,237 (with service).

Without an asterisk there is no difference in the advertisement of price when compared with this:

One, you can actually walk into a store and buy it at the advertised price, the other you can't, yet they are both advertised in the same way. They have a phrase for that.
Gerry

Postby Don_U » 01/29/10, 5:25 am

Although I don't own an iPhone AT&T are a bunch of weasels. I have regular service with them. They have recently balked about the amount of data people have been sending with unlimited data plans. Their "High Speed Internet" amounts to an always on phone modem that sets arbitrary upstream quotas (based on load) the end user is unaware of. Dropping or truncating posts disconnecting or not emailing when system demand is high. Been doing research into this for the company I work for.

Interesting thing is that that their customer can not believe it even when it happens to them. Brand is everything.
I never look back, dahling, it distracts from the now -Edna Mode
Beware of men in white vans at the freeway off ramps selling discount America. It is defective,
contains lead, and is not made here.
Robotic Undertones
Don_U
Senior Member I Get Free Beer
Senior Member I Get Free Beer

Postby RedRage » 01/29/10, 2:40 pm

@Gerry: they're not ripping us off with out our knowing.. those pics from trade shows cannot even be considered false advertisements. If you find a case of true false advertisement then bitch to the right people. while i do wish it was cheaper you are really reaching.

I just looked at AT&T's site. It clearly states a data commitment is required for the iPhone and to my surprise (sarcasm) for many other "smart" phones as well. which means it is NO difference between the iPhone and the Curve. Sure you can say the Curve is cheaper out of pocket but it only comes with 256mb memory and if you have an iPhone chances are it also doubles as your media player... 256mb just isn't enough and the iphone is just sweet as a portable media player.

@Don: I've heard about the data freak out, but to be fair AT&T isn't the only provider that does this. Common sense would be to watch for people tethering their phone as a main internet source for their PCs downloading torrents and such. We all know there is no such thing as Unlimited in anything interweb. the average person doesn't know this when they get hit with it i can see the frustration.

i have used my iphone for tethering, in fact when both our main and back up lines went down at the office I used AT&Ts edge as a make shift router that ran us for about 4 hours. was slow but it also allowed us to publish on time.
RedRage

Postby Gerry » 01/30/10, 9:21 pm

RedRage wrote:@Gerry: they're not ripping us off with out our knowing.. those pics from trade shows cannot even be considered false advertisements.
Well that's where our opinions differ. Also to label them as just "trade shows" is false as the photos are from Apple's annual (invitation only) media event. It ends up on just about ever news station on the planet, not to mention all the people who watch the event online.
Gerry

Postby bob » 01/31/10, 12:16 am

Well look, I just bought an iPhone, and I knew exactly what the terms were before I signed the check. Even if the ads are a bit exaggerated, there's no way you can get into the program without an understanding of what you're getting into.

The only thing that gripes me is all the damn fees and surcharges ATT and all the phone companies tack onto every phone bill, cel or landline. These you will never know until you get your bill. It's near fraud, in my opinion.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/27/business/27phone.html
WYSIWTF
bob

PreviousNext

Return to Hardware Issues