iPhone

Got my hammer out, and now I'm gonna open the box

iPhone

Postby bob » 10/19/09, 8:07 pm

Just got my iPhone, so I'm hoping you guys can advise me of some great apps, etc.... Isn't google voice usable in some way on that? Also, how do I move icons from one screen to another? Also, how do I turn off texting?
WYSIWTF
bob
BIG GIANT HEAD I Get Free Beer

Re: iPhone

Postby Gerry » 10/19/09, 8:43 pm

bob wrote:Just got my iPhone, so I'm hoping you guys can advise me of some great apps, etc.... Isn't google voice usable in some way on that? Also, how do I move icons from one screen to another? Also, how do I turn off texting?

Here is the form to apply for an invite:
https://services.google.com/fb/forms/googlevoiceinvite/

HOWEVER, last I knew Google Voice had been banned from the iPhone because it interferes with Apple's deal with AT&T.
http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/07/31/i-quit-the-iphone/

Personally if I owned an iPhone I think I'd probably jail break it. Every time I've looked for a solution to a problem I was experiencing while using the gf's iPhone, the first step was always "Firstly, you will need to jail-break your iPhone for this". I also know a non geeky friend who had an iPhone for a while and then decided to let another friend jail break it and afterwards he couldn't stop raving about all the things he could now do on it.

As for apps I like. Well Google Voice Search (as in speak the search term instead of typing it)
http://www.techcrunch.com/2008/11/17/go ... he-iphone/

Also Mocha VNC so that I can control the pc (eg changing movies) without having to get up. http://mochasoft.dk/iphone_vnc.htm

You move icons by holding down you finger on the window till they all start to shake, then you move the icon to the side of the screen where the second screen is located and it should change to that screen with the icon still under you finger.

I don't know what you mean about turning of texting. Why do you wish to do that? If you literally want to turn it off that ability of your phone, then I don't really know how.
Gerry

Postby bob » 10/19/09, 9:09 pm

I'm in google voice already--just heard you could use it through the iphone... I like that vnc app.... Looks like I'm gonna spend 2 weeks looking at the ins and outs of this thing.

can't find Google Voice Search in the app store -- wait, it's in google mobile app
WYSIWTF
bob

Postby Gerry » 10/20/09, 8:45 am

Sorry, right you are. Google Mobile
Gerry

Postby bob » 10/20/09, 10:38 pm

And the phone has "Voice Control" built in, which works on contacts. bookmarks, etc...
WYSIWTF
bob

Postby Gerry » 10/21/09, 2:36 am

bob wrote:And the phone has "Voice Control" built in, which works on contacts. bookmarks, etc...

Yep, knew about that one. My friends jokingly said to me, the iphone doesn't work by voice control Gerry! (or something along those lines) I forget what instigated the conversation, but I instantly grabbed my friend's iphone (which luckly happend to be a 3GS) and showed them. They were all quite amazed. I remember Jobs advertising that feature from his very first iphone keynote years back but it seems it was actually never released till the 3GS came out.

I don't think the voice recognition that is default on the iphone works as well as Google's implementation though.
Gerry

Postby RedRage » 10/25/09, 12:56 pm

VLCRemote - controls VLC from your phone

RDP - Remote desktop. I like it much better when connecting to windows boxes

Quest Knights - the only game i ever bought for iphone

Wifi Remote - turn your iphone into a track pad.

NASA - just nifty

IM+ Lite - Aim and stuff for iphone

WoW Armory - check your wow toons 'n stuff.

There are some ssh apps but i cannot find the free ones again now that i'm not jail broken.
RedRage

Postby bob » 10/25/09, 3:23 pm

I haven't spent a lot of time looking through the apps yet -- nor have I installed iTunes on my pc yet.... Workin' on other things for the moment, but I'll get there
WYSIWTF
bob

Return to Hardware Issues