CD Problem

Got my hammer out, and now I'm gonna open the box

CD Problem

Postby cuttheredwire » 09/23/06, 7:36 am

I'm having a problem with a CD (rw). It's actually my friends disc. Her machine (laptop) couldn't even read it. My can see the files, but can only read some of them. I'm using dos/xcopy to get what I can as I'm typing this.

I get the following errors:
File creation error - Error performing inpage operation.
File creation error - Data error (cyclic redundancy check).

The disk does look like it's a lil smudged. I cleaned it up as decently as I could. I'm not sure what to really clean it with.

I know there are a lof of utilities to help with this (like unstoppable copier). I'm sure which one to use. I'm open to suggestions. I know that I may only be able to get some files as fragments. Anyone a way to peice .gif or.jpg files back together if that happens? Anyone have any experience with this kind of data recovery?

I'm really hoping I can get some help and get some more files off the disk. At this rate, I'll only be able to salvage a third of them (half at most). This includes pictures of my friends uncle and friend who both passed away. It means a lot to her. Any help or ideas you can lend would be greatly appreciated.
(• ShellCity's Second Banana •• Skinnables's Newsie •)
cuttheredwire
BIG GIANT HEAD I Get Free Beer

Postby bob » 09/23/06, 2:32 pm

there's someone on the board who practices computer forensics, Cut.... If he sees this, he might help you -- don't remember who. But you might look for computer forensics tools as a google search
WYSIWTF
bob

Re: CD Problem

Postby Gerry » 09/23/06, 5:40 pm

cuttheredwire wrote:I know there are a lof of utilities to help with this (like unstoppable copier). I'm sure which one to use. I'm open to suggestions.
Try them all until you find one that works.

Also when cleaning... apparently the best way to clean optical media is in straight lines, from the center to the outside, pressing fairly firmly and making sure to use a clean lint free cloth.
I answer rhetorical questions for my own enjoyment.
Gerry

Return to Hardware Issues