Cable modem speeds set to triple

Got my hammer out, and now I'm gonna open the box
bob
BIG GIANT HEAD I Get Free Beer

Post by bob » 01/21/02, 10:49 am

A new specification that cable operators use to deliver high-speed web access using cable modems is set to triple in speed, making way for services such as video conferencing and peer-to-peer applications by the end of the year.

CableLabs, the cable industry's research and development arm, said that plans are now being finalised for interoperability testing in the first quarter this year, and that certification testing is expected to take place by the third quarter. Docsis 2.0 (Data Over Cable Service Interface Specification) significantly increases cable bandwidth by establishing a network that has 30Mbps capacity in two directions.

Today's cable networks generally deliver data with download speeds of between 500Kbps and 2Mbps. Analysts said that cable modem customers are usually limited to only a fraction of those speeds, about 128Kbps, when sending data.

Docsis 2.0, which is compatible with Docsis 1.0 and 1.1 cable modems and cable modem termination systems, includes two modulation techniques, S-CDMA (synchronous code division multiple access) and A-TDMA (advanced frequency agile time division multiple access), which account for the boost in speed.

http://www.overclockersclub.com/cgi-bin ... VAxoLAhrzS

vipe

Post by vipe » 01/21/02, 12:20 pm

Sounds all fine and dandy, but cable companies need to make broadband accessible to everyone first. My friend that lives in the boonies in North Dakota can get broadband (though, DSL) and I can't get neither one - living in the 3rd largest county in the USA.
Brothers of the Leaf
Online cigar community

bob

Post by bob » 01/21/02, 12:22 pm

We've had it in St. louis, depending on area, for about 2 years. But we're the headquarters of Charter Cablevision....

vipe

Post by vipe » 01/21/02, 12:51 pm

I'm gonna take a trip down to Time Warner Houston Offices and take a hostage tommorrow on my day off!

"Give me broadband or I'll spank** you with my 56k modem*!"

Disclaimer: The above was purely a joke, in an event this really does happen - it was mere coincidence.
*: 56k modem, though never connected higher than a rate of 28.8k
**: Number of spankings may vary.
Brothers of the Leaf
Online cigar community

Gerry

Post by Gerry » 01/31/02, 4:52 am

He he he and I hear you about your "*: 56k modem, though never connected higher than a rate of 28.8k" comment, dam that's annoying!!!

56k, my bloddy ass!!!
I answer rhetorical questions for my own enjoyment.

bob

Post by bob » 01/31/02, 8:20 am

Cringely's picked up on the issue, and he's promising the world.....

A New Modulation Technology Promises to Turn Your Cable TV Connection Into a 10 Gigabit-Per-Second Digital Fire Hose

http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/pulpit20020131.html

JohnT

Post by JohnT » 02/01/02, 7:00 am

I also read something to the effect of speeds going to triple (Linux Journal), but the amount of customers and demand is set to increase that much. Seems as if will return to this topic more than once.