Computer case side fans...

Got my hammer out, and now I'm gonna open the box
AndrewB
BIG GIANT HEAD I Get Free Beer

Post by AndrewB » 07/12/02, 3:51 pm

I've seen a lot of case mod pages on various overclocking/hardware websites and a lot of them have fans on the side of the box, not just in the front and back.

How effective are they? Where should they go on the side? Should it be blowing air out or in?

Thanks for any help, i'm pretty clueless on this whole side fan topic!
Keep Your Assets & ID Private! Can you afford not to?

Dark Shadow
Senior Member (Entitled To Root Beer)

Post by Dark Shadow » 07/12/02, 4:08 pm

Ok, this should probably go under another topic, and I don't want to take away the floor, so please respond to Andy first before me, but I was wondering... and this is going to sound really dumb of me, but how are MB's mounted inside cases so that they don't short out, and secondly, I have an HP computer that I would really like to get into another case.... is that possible? Or is the board not going to fit or something. I'll echo Andy when I say, I really don't know about side case fans... or MB mounting either.

SOD

Post by SOD » 07/12/02, 4:21 pm

All those fans do little good if the ambient temp is to high. There is a law of dimishing return at play the more fans the more current the more current the more heat ot i saw an article that showed you you how to overclock a celeron processor...get real!!! ot

AndrewB

Post by AndrewB » 07/12/02, 5:07 pm

about mobos:

Each board is screwed to the case with 2 screws per hole. one, which screws into a hole in the case, is hollow and threaded at one end, allowing the motherboard to sit on top of it, away from the metal case. a 2nd normal screw screws into that hole through the hole in the board, securing the board.

Boards dont short out (normally- i had a short when putting this machien together, thats another story for another time right there) because:

A) all circuits are closed- the only short points are where the ports are (had this happen once) for the most part.

B) If you take a close look at your board, you'll notice that there are no wires around where the screw holes are, so currents wont jump to them.

SOD

Post by SOD » 07/12/02, 10:59 pm

to answer your question. the cold water or case ground is in the power supply...the board (power supply paths) is isolated just connected to the coldwater ground through the power supply paths to avoid a ground loop. That is, two paths to coldwater or common ground...

SOD

Post by SOD » 07/12/02, 11:07 pm

<!-- BBCode Quote Start --><TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font class=postbody>Quote:</font><HR width=100% color=#333333 SIZE=1></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT class=quote><BLOCKQUOTE>
all circuits are closed
</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR width=100% color=#333333 SIZE=1></TD></TR></TABLE><!-- BBCode Quote End -->
it is not a matter of weather they are open or closed if they were always "normally closed" your computer would not run....The concept is that they are isolated and there is only one ground path avoiding leaks or ground loops.

JohnT

Post by JohnT » 07/12/02, 11:39 pm

All circuits are busy. Please call later. 8)

There are also plastic stand-offs for the MB that are as effective and just snap in place, but a bear to take apart.
HP MB......You'll just have to measure for clearance and make certain you have mounting holes in the case where appropriate or you'll need to drill them.

As to the case fans, Sod is right. Ambient temps are the factor, not just how much air you have moving.

<font class=editedby>[ This Message was edited by: JohnT on 2002-07-13 07:46 ]</font>

Post by Guest » 07/13/02, 2:42 am

How do they keep the water cold in the power supply?

And why doesn't it leak out &* make a mess?

Or is it a sealed like your fridge, maybe?

And then, what is "earth" (apart from the 3rd planet)

if "cold water   ground"   does that job?

SOD

Post by SOD » 07/13/02, 4:40 am

A cold water ground is the method used at times when a true earth ground is not available.

JohnT

Post by JohnT » 07/13/02, 5:07 am

Yes, it's only a phone call away. "Oh, Sparkletts Man".
"A man may be a fool and not know it, but not if he is married."

AndrewB

Post by AndrewB » 07/13/02, 5:58 pm

The temp in this room should be w/in good ranges because its usually between 60 and ~78 outside throught most of the year. So my question is where should it go, how many rpm should it be, etc.

JohnT

Post by JohnT » 07/13/02, 11:49 pm

There is no one answer. We've done this before. So here is my setup with the ambient temps around 72 F. I have a dual fan/heatsink on my Athlon 900 MHZ, that runs at a variable speed (3500-5200 rpm). I have a rear case fan (about 3 1/2" dia.) that runs at 3600rpm (out). I have a vent in the front ( to pull in outside air) made from one of the drive cover plates (no fan). I experimented with this until I got my case temps running at a consistant 90 F. I drilled a pattern of holes in it and backed it up with a micron filter I bought a Wal-Mart that goes on a vacuum cleaner. More holes , less holes. More filter, less filter. Experiment, experiment. The best temps I can get, and within mfg. specs. The temps weren't improved by removing the side cover, as a benchmark. Get "Motherboard Monitor" and set your own benchmarks.
"A man may be a fool and not know it, but not if he is married."

AndrewB

Post by AndrewB » 07/14/02, 5:31 am

OK. I'm going to be buying a new heat sink for the CPU and some sinks/spreaders for the video memory, so I'll buy a fan to put on the side too if its really cheap. Otherwise I'll just save it for another time b/c my case isnt *really* hot.

RedRage

Post by RedRage » 07/14/02, 7:23 am

virtual hideout is a good place to look for such info, also the arstechnica.com forums also has some great info. oh ya, hardocp.com too.

I like the side intakes for the video card(s), rear exaust near the I/O ports is really handy for droping the case temp.

Blowholes on top are nice if you mount your hard drives in a 5" bay (like me) keeps the heat from the drives from warming up the case to much. But as SOD said there is such a thing as too much.

Dark Shadow

Post by Dark Shadow » 07/14/02, 11:16 am

My computers dumb HP plastic face is always off in the summer showing the metal grid and all the hard drives. If I touch the hard drives after the computer has been on for about an hour, I'll practically burn myself. If I've been defraging for a while, they will burn me. Is that normal for a 7200 rpm HDD running on ATA 100?

BTW, in the winter, I don't have any insulation in my room and the temp is suplimented with my computers' generated heat. In Minnesota, it gets real cold in the winter so I'm happy to let it burn has hot as it wants to, but in the 90 Degree+ summer, it makes me worried.

<font class=editedby>[ This Message was edited by: Dark Shadow on 2002-07-14 19:20 ]</font>