a question on ups

Got my hammer out, and now I'm gonna open the box
lurker

Post by lurker » 06/11/02, 12:20 pm

where i live the power is pretty unstable and my motherboard is touchy about it,if something with too high a load is turned on it reboots the machine.. will a ups smooth out the ac and regulate the draw of power to make up for the drop in current?

Jason
Senior Member I Get Free Beer

Post by Jason » 06/11/02, 3:37 pm

Hi lurk, :wink:

Dunno much about UPS
(obviously, I called it somethin' else yesterd'y)
but, Yes!
That should help quite a bit.
How-ever, be very careful about what you are told,
and what you actually get!

UPS's are notorious for overstating capacity & battery life, so be very careful, before you lay out a cent! HTH :wink: J

p.s.
especially if, as in your case, it's more for power regulation!

I once worked in a magnet wire drawing factory,
and they were always having power fluctuations, which would enevitably drop-out most if not all, PC's in the factory!
Anyhow, eventually after fiddling about for over a year, trying to save capital, and buying junk, palmed-off on 'em by several un-scrupulous firms, they finally got someone in, who knew what they were talkin' about.

And from then on, not perfect, but much, much better!

But, as usual, when it finally got down to crunch time, they more or less had to purchase top quality gear.
So, be warned!

Some of the prices, may, shock you!

<font class=editedby>[ This Message was edited by: Jason on 2002-06-11 23:54 ]</font>

lurker

Post by lurker » 06/11/02, 3:51 pm

thanks for the response jason,as you had noticed it doesn't really need to keep my machine going during a power outage but i do want to clean up my power before it destroys my board,i figure the only thing i would plug into it would be just the computer itself...i'm not worried about the monitor,speakers......ect.

bob
BIG GIANT HEAD I Get Free Beer

Post by bob » 06/11/02, 3:52 pm

Doesn't your machine already have a regulated power supply, Lurker?

Jason

Post by Jason » 06/11/02, 4:04 pm

Yeah,   it sorta don't matter Bob.

Your regulated 200-250w power supply will do it best to maintain, sufficient power to keep things appearing to be running on an even keel.

However,   in a situation like what is happening with lurk.
  Eventually,   that will get to a point where it just can't maintain the ratios,   with-out causing dramatic heat build-up.
And we all know,   what extreme heat can do to a PC!
Again HTH   you are on the right track lurk.
it's just that it's gonna cost ya,   to get it really stable!   :)

lurker

Post by lurker » 06/11/02, 4:14 pm

if i turn something else on that takes a lot of juice my machine will shut down and try to start up again but fail when windows starts up....one of the many joys of living in the sticks,but at least i can get dsl...

SOD

Post by SOD » 06/11/02, 8:03 pm

Unless you are getting a voltage swing that is huge your power supply on the MB should handle it. If you are getting that amount of swing it is probly damaging other things too....The only real solution would be to regulate the 120 volts (expensive) or commit your computer to its own service from the breaker box. I too live in the sticks have the end of grid brown outs but nothing the PS can't handle. It sounds like the electrical in the house is overloaded. The current needed to run a computer is nothing compared to the rest of the house.

RedRage

Post by RedRage » 06/11/02, 9:43 pm

I'm not an electrician but to me sounds like one(some?) of your caps may have blown. I'm facing a similar situation and i amd afraid to look.

I believe most modern UPS's have some sort of conditioner on them. A UPS's battery life is directly related to what you have plugged into it. Mine says It'll give me 15mins, I got 3 systems, a modem, a switch and a 21" monitor plugged into it. I get ~4mins on it. Just enough time for the systems to shut down. The one I had at work was a 30min one but I only had one system and 14" monitor in it most of the time and it lasted 4 hours one time

JohnT

Post by JohnT » 06/12/02, 2:23 am

UPS will only condition outages and some will contain spikes, but none will afford a convenience of making up for slight power draws. Your house wiring sounds as if it needs to be upgraded. At the very minimum now days a 200 amp service. Anything less is to be monitored.

vipe

Post by vipe » 06/12/02, 2:41 am

FedEx :-) :-) :-)

Jason

Post by Jason » 06/12/02, 4:16 am

Sorry to say Gents,
but I believe a heck of a lot of it has to do with a decision the US took a long time ago!
By deciding to run 110volt instead of 220-240volt
  was,   the *big* mistake!
There are many reasons why this occurred and just as many reasons for & against,   but I do know that when I was at Tech. we was taught that there was a fundamental flaw with the 110v technology?

Now,   I dunno, whether that is true or not,
  that is just what the engineers who were lecturing told us?
And they would have said,   what is happening to your machine with power problems can be directly related to this   HTH   :)

Post by Guest » 06/12/02, 8:04 am

<!-- BBCode Quote Start --><TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font class=postbody>Quote:</font><HR width=100% color=#333333 SIZE=1></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT class=quote><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2002-06-12 05:43, RedRage wrote:
I'm not an electrician but to me sounds like one(some?) of your caps may have blown.
</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR width=100% color=#333333 SIZE=1></TD></TR></TABLE><!-- BBCode Quote End -->
Caps don't blow Red they leak, what you end up seeing in a scope is more ripple. Usually electrolytic
caps are the problem but the ones in your MB should have a 20 year duty cycle.
Suggestions:
Get a volt meter hook it up to the line voltage and monitor it for consistancy.
Use the same volt meter to measure voltage and current at the output of the voltage regulator on the mb.
Install MOVs at the service feed these will take care of a body current surge that happens just before a brownout.
BTW it would be a good idea to get a cheap volt meter preferably digital to constantly monitor the line voltage from the socket the computer is connected to.
Justa thought you are not running large electrical motor devices off the same circut are you? Refrigerators or air conditioners are the worst for inductance related problems.

lurker

Post by lurker » 06/12/02, 4:18 pm

the house is an old farmhouse that does need to be rewired ...my next project in a long line of jobs,maybe i should put my monitor on a seperate circuit(21")?a temp fix at best..

RedRage

Post by RedRage » 06/12/02, 9:47 pm

By blown i ment bad :-) Most you boards appear to be fine but it appears that Abit has had issues in the past with their caps.

from <!-- BBCode u2 Start --><A class="postbody" HREF="http://www.hyperformance-pc.com/overclocking_faq.htm" TARGET="_blank">hyperformance-pc.com</A><!-- BBCode u2 End -->
Q: I have an Abit motherboard and it has become unstable or won't boot sometimes, help?

A: Check the capacitors (little can looking things) around the CPU slot/socket to see if any are leaking or bulged at the top. If any are leaking, you will see a little brown residue on top of them. If they are bulged up, this may mean they are getting ready to 'pop' next time they get hot enough. This is a known problem with some Abit motherboards. My Abit BE6-II ran great for about a year until suddenly it would not boot until I reset it about 10 times. I found the three 'caps' nearest the slot had leaked, I replaced all three and my problems were solved.

This does require some good soldering skills, but in general it is not that difficult to do. Just unsolder the bad ones, and solder in the new ones. Obviously if your board is still under warranty it would be better to get it replaced.

and a <!-- BBCode u2 Start --><A class="postbody" HREF="http://groups.google.com/groups?q=abit+ ... gle+Search" TARGET="_blank">Google Group search</A><!-- BBCode u2 End --> for abit boards (what i have)

bob

Post by bob » 06/13/02, 3:42 am

I got it, Vipe, even if no one else did.

Droll, Vipe, droll....