Breakthru Shell Replacement

Hack your OS, customize your GUI, announce great software, and configure, configure, configure...
bob
BIG GIANT HEAD I Get Free Beer

Post by bob » 12/31/01, 5:52 am

Maybe he'd like Shell City to run it his new replacement shell???

I'd better defer to others with more expertise on your questions, CccT. As for removing Win Explorer from the registry completely--I'd say 98Lite is as close as you're going to get.

Gerry

Post by Gerry » 01/05/02, 9:05 am

<!-- BBCode Quote Start --><TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font class=postbody>Quote:</font><HR width=100% color=#333333 SIZE=1></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT class=quote><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-12-31 13:07, CccT wrote:
a very efficient mouse-operated and navigable GUI that supports also DOS commands
</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR width=100% color=#333333 SIZE=1></TD></TR></TABLE><!-- BBCode Quote End -->

WOW... sounds great, when is he releasing it to the rest of us?

Question 1 :
I wonder whether there is something like Eradicator that can eliminate the original windows explorer from the registry ?

FORMAT C

Question 2 :
4 logfiles appear each time you reboot :
Videorom.bin , Ios.log, Ndislog.txt, and Win.ini .
Which keys in the registry need to be changed so that these 4 files will not be created ?

Have you tried searching the regestry using the filenames you said. That's probally the easiest way to find out, unless of course it isn't the regestry that controls it.
I answer rhetorical questions for my own enjoyment.

Post by Guest » 01/05/02, 11:15 am

>The trick is to edit C:WindowsSystem.ini and
>replace "Explorer" in Shell=Explorer.exe by the
>filename of the new shell replacement .exe , or
>you can also rename the new shell replacement
>.exe to "Explorer.exe"

If you run WinNT/2K/XP, you don't <i>have</I> a Win.ini file, and replacing the default shell is a bit more complex. Does he mention what to do in that case?

>Question 1 :
>I wonder whether there is something like
>Eradicator that can eliminate the original
>windows explorer from the registry ?

Do you really want to? Decide to stop using your friend's shell, and you will have to reinstall Windows.

>Question 2 :
>4 logfiles appear each time you reboot :
>Videorom.bin , Ios.log, Ndislog.txt, and Win.ini .
>Which keys in the registry need to be changed so >that these 4 files will not be created ?

Videorom.bin doesn't sound like a log file, and never got created here. Win.ini is <i>modified</i> if you make certain changes in Windows, but not re-created. You don't <i>want</I> to prevent it being there, since it's where you are specifying your replacement shell.
______
Dennis

Gerry

Post by Gerry » 01/06/02, 11:43 pm

Yeah sorry man, it's a dos command.

bob

Post by bob » 01/07/02, 2:40 am

Well yeah man---that's Nikos' 2XExplorer---we've had that since it was just a very simple file manager.

Gerry

Post by Gerry » 01/07/02, 5:48 am

Yeah that's what I was thinking. Is that the shell replacement that he was talking about?

He said:

An on-line friend / programmer sent me his latest beta : a new shell replacement for Windows.

2x Explorer isn't new, so I was think he must be talking about something else.

Gerry

Post by Gerry » 01/07/02, 7:17 am

<!-- BBCode Quote Start --><TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font class=postbody>Quote:</font><HR width=100% color=#333333 SIZE=1></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT class=quote><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2002-01-07 14:59, CccT wrote:
DOS commands are not really necessary
</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR width=100% color=#333333 SIZE=1></TD></TR></TABLE><!-- BBCode Quote End -->

Come again!!

(No religious jokes)

dinobutt

Post by dinobutt » 01/07/02, 12:47 pm

Jeez. He's been talking about 2xex all this time.

Yes, it is one of my all time favorites, and no, I would not replace Win explorer with it. And if you change the settings in explorer, then it, too, will show known file extensions. In fact, when you first install 2xex, it prompts you to do so if you don't have it set up that way already.

And for those of us who recall, (I don't all that well, really) nothing beats Norton Commander and the like. All the real hardcore enthusiasm for that intense man(or woman)-machine melding has migrated over to the Linux side of the fence. I used to be able to voodoo with Wordperfect 5.1, and any gui/mouse-oriented stuff is still weak by comparison (Now I do a different voodo w/ <a href="http://www.texturizer.net/">Texturizer<a>, by David Tensor) ... Powerful commands in a light environment ... I have tried Norton Commander for Windows, but it being a Windows app, it can't rival the speed of NC4, or for that matter, Midnite Comander(nix, free). Norton does not support NC any more(except in Germany, go figure), but I think the old NC4 does allow LFN, and still had the unique feature of using a serial connection for otherwise non-networked computers. As does Ghost, I think.

I have assembled a gallery of "commander" apps before. The number of imitators is a testimony to the good sense Peter Norton, and/or whoever was working for him at the time, in using just one more window to view files for petes sake.

If you like 2xexplorer, then you should try <a href="http://www.simtel.net/simcgi-bin/win95find.cgi?dmex">Dmex</a>(free). When you use the '2 windows vertical' context menu option, it is really nice. And all your other Win Explorer extensions will still work too, even though they don't in 2xex. I use 2xex every day, but when I want to use some fancy shell extension, I right-click on the file in 2xex, and select 'explore'....

<font class=editedby>[ This Message was edited by: dinobutt on 2002-01-07 20:52 ]</font>

<font class=editedby>[ This Message was edited by: dinobutt on 2002-01-07 20:55 ]</font>

bob

Post by bob » 01/07/02, 12:51 pm

Wanna see a cool new shell? Go to the front page right now....

Geez Dino--we must be on exactly the same wavelength... I too did some fancy WP 5.1 macrobuilding, and more. I too love DMEX, use it all the time. And have I ever mentioned that Texturizer is our Shell City "site management" tool?

But I must say, I think highly of 2x, and of its creator---it just has been around for quite a while, though it has improved massively since the early versions. I hope Nikos keeps tweaking it, cause it's about the best FileMan there is---and yes, Cccc, I know it's more than a fileman.... As I said, i think pretty highly of it. In fact, it's been on my menu since day one...

<font class=editedby>[ This Message was edited by: bob on 2002-01-07 20:55 ]</font>

<font class=editedby>[ This Message was edited by: bob on 2002-01-07 20:56 ]</font>

dinobutt

Post by dinobutt » 01/07/02, 1:40 pm

OK Bub, I was gonna go get another pint, but I'll reply first.

I LOVE 2xex. I work online all day every day(ick), and always have at least one 2xex open. And surely you know much more than I about WP, but at least I recognized it for the powerful and fast app it was/is(I like that, was/is. Very ... je ne sais quois) No GUI app in the 20th C rivaled the speed and power of bare bones DOS or NIX apps. It was too bad WP wound up trying to emulate Word. Some of those old commands have never been implemented in any Windows app, far as I know ... and the other night, I was working on an HTML page in Word ... I wound up editing it in Texturizer, go figure. I have known for a year or 2 that it was your default editor. I use it daily. Macros, multi-tab, syntax highlighting. It is the bomb.

I think you were referring to the Blackbox post. It looks cool. I'll dl it, but I have my hands full with this BeOS that I just installed last night. Which reads and edits Fat 16, 32, NTFS and Linux files right away, after a 30-min install. If nothing else, THAT reccomends BeOS.

DOH!!! I see the BeosWin post now. OK, It looks really neat. Have it now, I'll have a look! Cheers! Off to get a pint of Guiness, The ale that refreshes where other beers can't reach.