Need help converting an "E machine" to a real computer

Hack your OS, customize your GUI, announce great software, and configure, configure, configure...

Postby SOD » 12/28/01, 3:19 pm

My nephew has an "E machine" and I was wondering if anyone has any experience busting the E machine part and installing a Standard build of windows.......any thoughts?
It is better to be here than there - SOD
SOD
BIG GIANT HEAD I Get Free Beer

Postby bob » 12/29/01, 1:46 am

What's different about the Win install?

I'd guess your real problem in a emachine is a low quality vid card, sound board etc... (My wife has one--and lord help me, I'd better never mess with it!)
bob

Postby SOD » 12/29/01, 2:36 am

I saw one at best buy that had a HUGE propritary toolbar at the bottom. Have not seen my nephews yet but expect it the same. As for the cards I figured we would upgrade OEM sound blaster and nVidea cards..Just wondering if there any pitfalls
SOD

Postby bob » 12/29/01, 3:36 am

You can probably remove that toolbar without reinstalling Win, Sod. just check your various start up progs....
bob

Postby prion » 12/30/01, 4:00 am

I've heard that they pretty much use standard components so the hardware shouldn't be a problem, although things like vid and sound may be on the motherboard.

as for the toolbar, if it's something in the regular explorer taskbar AND it's on XP, then you will have to first uncheck "lock the toolbar" in the right click menu b4 you can do anything to it.
prion

Postby prion » 12/30/01, 4:05 am

I might also add that Best Buy's pricing scheme and their claim to be the "best buy" is based on the MSN rebate. I wouldn't buy a computer from them...Also, I've seen eMachines at Sam's, and they didn't have a propritary toolbar, so if it is there it's prolly something that can be removed.
prion

Postby SOD » 12/30/01, 2:27 pm

Thanks Guys
we will work on it.....
SOD

Return to Own The Machine