HACE Shellgem equivalent for Win2K

Hack your OS, customize your GUI, announce great software, and configure, configure, configure...

Postby Guest » 12/25/01, 6:39 am

I'm in the middle of migrating to Win2K Pro SP2. For the most part, I'm pleased. It's smoother and a lot more stable than Win98SE, which was the point, and most things work as expected.

One thing that <I>doesn't</I> work is HACE Shellgem, which is apparently Win9X specific. Can anyone recommend a similar product that <I>does</I> work under Win2K? Freeware preferred, but I'll buy a really good one if it comes to that.

Thanks!
_____
Dennis

Postby bob » 12/26/01, 2:09 am

Funny, my Hace Shell Gem isn't working either -- in 98...

I wonder if Folder Box might work for you Dennis--I'm using it. It's not a context menu extension, but rather an Explorer add-on.
bob
BIG GIANT HEAD I Get Free Beer

Postby Guest » 12/26/01, 6:34 am

HACE Shellgem doesn't work for you under Win98? Weird. I never had a problem with it.

I grabbed FolderMon under 98, though I hadn't really played with it enough to form an opinion. I'll try it under 2K, too, but IIRC, it perfoms different functions from Shellgem. Still looking for something similar to Shellgem, I guess.

On another matter, my Logitech mouse is behaving oddly -- for no reason I can see, Win2K will stop seeing it, and I have to restart to get it back. The problem doesn't occur withn the Microsoft mouse drivers, but this is a three button mouse, and I specifically want the middle button, programmed to do a double-click. The MS drivers don't support that.

It's apparently a Known Problem, discussed on the Logitech site, but none of thier info fixes things, and I'm running the latest drivers.

Ah, well. We'll see.

______
Dennis

Postby JohnT » 12/26/01, 7:39 am

I run a Logitech Wheel mouse in 2K/NT without the logitech drivers that came with the mouse and haven't encountered the slightest problem.
Do you only encounter problems within a browser or out? What browser are you running? Sometimes that will effect mouse action, especially on the wheel or 3rd button mouse.
JohnT

Postby Guest » 12/26/01, 2:56 pm

<!-- BBCode Quote Start --><TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font class=postbody>Quote:</font><HR width=100% color=#333333 SIZE=1></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT class=quote><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-12-26 15:39, JohnT wrote:
I run a Logitech Wheel mouse in 2K/NT without the logitech drivers that came with the mouse and haven't encountered the slightest problem.
Do you only encounter problems within a browser or out? What browser are you running? Sometimes that will effect mouse action, especially on the wheel or 3rd button mouse.
</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR width=100% color=#333333 SIZE=1></TD></TR></TABLE><!-- BBCode Quote End -->

The problems happen randomly, unrelated to browser. (For the record, I have Explorer 6.0, Netscape 6.2.1, and Mozilla 9.7 installed under 2K.) I've seen it happen when <I>nothing</I> is being done. Leave the machine for a while, come back, and the mouse cursor is frozen.

Someone on another forum suggested I update the drivers for my motherboard. I have an Abit KT-7, with a second pair of IDE channels using a Highpoint BIOS, seen as a SCSI device by Windows. The Abit FAQ mentioned mouse problems solvable by a downgrade to BIOS rev 1.03 from 1.11. I found a newer 1.20 release, and installed that. I don't know whether it solved the problems, but since installing earlier this afternoon, the mouse has been behaving.

The middle mouse button is not recognized by Windows <I>unless</I> I use the Logitech drivers, and I have the Logitech mouse precisely because it <I>has</I> three buttons, and I can program the middle one to emit a double-click. Ditching the Logitech drivers isn't really an option.
______
Dennis

Return to Own The Machine