Welcome to Vim

Hack your OS, customize your GUI, announce great software, and configure, configure, configure...

Welcome to Vim

Postby Gerry » 10/13/11, 5:25 pm

Started using Vim recently as my my editor of choice and I'm impressed. Once you get past the idea that it's not simple to learn it's actually quite awesome. Also you will need to spend a while configuring it if you want it to look pretty.

Here is a great into to vim (yes the guy seems like a bit of a tool at first):

http://vimeo.com/6999927
I answer rhetorical questions for my own enjoyment.
Gerry
BIG GIANT HEAD I Get Free Beer

Postby Don_U » 10/19/11, 10:51 am

Related: A while back you mentioned that the company you were working for was switching to Macs...how did that work out? Never used Vim but going to look at the vid this afternoon. I use a MacAir for everything outside of finding the 1TB USB of music I have it is comfortable. I think the latency is USB related anyway.

wkpdf is a command line application that you install from Ruby Gems. It creates beautiful PDFs from HTML and has many options.
I never look back, dahling, it distracts from the now -Edna Mode
Beware of men in white vans at the freeway off ramps selling discount America. It is defective,
contains lead, and is not made here.
Robotic Undertones
Don_U
Senior Member I Get Free Beer
Senior Member I Get Free Beer

Postby Gerry » 10/20/11, 6:38 am

Don_U wrote:Never used Vim but going to look at the vid this afternoon. I use a MacAir for everything outside of finding the 1TB USB of music I have it is comfortable. I think the latency is USB related anyway.

The guys who told me about it all use Macs. They are Rails guys who used to use Textmate. But I really wasn't convinced until I started using it. It's very hard to learn though.

Somebody posted this awesome cheat sheet on Google+ recently. It will help you if you want to learn Vim: http://www.viemu.com/a_vi_vim_graphical ... orial.html

Another thing you should look up is "Vim plugins for X coders" replacing X with your language of choice.

Don_U wrote:wkpdf is a command line application that you install from Ruby Gems. It creates beautiful PDFs from HTML and has many options.

Damn, wish I'd known about that a few months ago. I've recently created my resume using LaTeX. It looks awesome now, but I sure would have liked something with some easier syntax. =D

Thanks anyway, I'll be sure to look into it after I submit this post.

Don_U wrote:Related: A while back you mentioned that the company you were working for was switching to Macs...how did that work out?

Na they were already using Macs and were discussing me moving to one too without much reasoning given. Then again I suppose reasoning doesn't usually come into religious arguments. =D Anyway those guys are awesome, that was just a little thing.

Development wise I've moved on recently as there wasn't that much left for me to do (although I'm still a significant owner). I'm on a bit of a high right now as I just got back from an interview with a recruiter who went from a bit cold over email, to saying some *very* nice things about me by the end of the interview. He's recommending me for one kick ass job and said he's going to go speak to another company who isn't currently looking for anybody but who he thinks will be very keen once he speaks to them.
Gerry

Postby Gerry » 10/20/11, 7:37 am

Don_U wrote:It creates beautiful PDFs from HTML and has many options.

Got any example output? I couldn't see any examples on the site so I did this search and the first three pdfs look quite ugly to me, although the flexibility of content looks cool:
Google search for "wkpdf filetype:pdf"
Gerry

Return to Own The Machine