Firefox 4 RC1

Hack your OS, customize your GUI, announce great software, and configure, configure, configure...

Firefox 4 RC1

Postby RedRage » 03/15/11, 5:55 pm

I quit testing beta browsers after i had a security issue a while back (not the complete fault of the browser, i should've known) but i installed Firefox 4 RC1 today and so far i'm loving it.

Fixing the address bar so it appears with everytab below the tabs was an initial annoyance. now the only real issue i have so far is they changed the position of the open in new tab right click context to first instead of second. i'm sure i'll get used to it but geez.. of all the things to change lol.

Seems to run a lot faster but might just because it is sleaker more chrome like. Memory usage seems to be on par with 3 but its only been open for a couple hours.

and i just realized i can resize this text box i'm typing in ... neet... when did that get there lol.
RedRage
BIG GIANT HEAD I Get Free Beer

Postby bob » 03/15/11, 11:35 pm

been waiting for that--think I'll wait a few more days though, while you early adopters test it out....
WYSIWTF
bob

Postby bob » 03/24/11, 3:00 am

Ok, I'm using it too now... So far, so good. One thing, I couldn't find a single theme, other than the default, that worked well. They all obscure text on buttons, either by not changing colors in keeping with the theme (black lettering on a black button--not for me), or by otherwise blurring the text--saw this blurring especially on tab text....

No add-on problems that I have found.

Slow to start (always was, even a bit slower now) but seems faster to load pages.

Man, I like the resizable text box too.... very, very nice....
WYSIWTF
bob

Postby RedRage » 03/24/11, 7:56 am

I have not found a theme that i liked for a long long time (in computer time). I just customize the bars by moving stuff around where i want it. I love having my address bar for each tab under the tab.... feels more MDI and i like that :-) is opera still MDI i have not used it in a long long time.. maybe its time for a revisit... hmm...

The pin to tab option is nice.. i use it for gmail. the tab button turns blue when i get email. out of the way but easily noticeable. right click on tab pin as app tab.

tab groups is neet but have not found much use for it yet.. (ctrl shift e)

I noticed over all everything is responsive loads as fast as IE. I only use ad blocker any more as addons. possible if you have others could be bogging it? Could just be the solid state factor too (its fast lol)

Pages in general seem to render faster than ff3 as well
RedRage

Postby bob » 03/24/11, 5:37 pm

I do have a number of add-ons. I'll check those out for airdrag. Thanks for the idea, Red.

Still getting used to it...

Also decided to try noscripts at the same time, complicating things.
WYSIWTF
bob

Re: Firefox 4 RC1

Postby JohnT » 03/27/11, 1:43 am

RedRage wrote: now the only real issue i have so far is they changed the position of the open in new tab right click context to first instead of second. i'm sure i'll get used to it but geez.. of all the things to change lol.

I'm the opposite that is one thing I was wishing they would have changed. it was annoying the other way. I can remember at one time it "did" come first....then was changed. I've been using Chromium in Linux for some time now as Firefox increasingly did not live up to my expectations. Now I will have to say this new incarnation gives it a run for its money.
"A man may be a fool and not know it, but not if he is married."
JohnT

Postby RedDog » 03/31/11, 9:06 pm

Still waiting to try it, but three of my add ons don't work with it yet so I am hanging fire until they are up-graded. I don't want to see ads or loose certain functions I have got used to.
Regards RedDog

I may be barking and I am quite mad but fortunately this dog rarely bites
RedDog
Member ****

Postby aktiwers » 04/01/11, 5:20 pm

Adblocks works great in my FF4..

On Final release almost all my addons worked..
What other extentions are not working?
aktiwers
Senior<BR>Member

Postby RedDog » 04/03/11, 4:39 pm

I'll have to check again. I think the ad blocker is okay now. I had four out of about twenty that did not work but I have had so many up-dates now they may all work. It does kind of make me wonder if all this flexibility is worth it sometimes.
Regards RedDog

RedDog
Member ****

Postby bob » 04/04/11, 4:04 pm

I only use ad blocker any more as addons. possible if you have others could be bogging it?

Right in line with what you were saying Red Rage:

Mozilla discovered that on average each add-on increases Firefox start-up time by 10 per cent, meaning that ten add-ons effectively double the time it takes for Firefox to initially open. In reality some add-ons take less time and others take more, which means that it could take 20 to achieve this for one user and only five for another.

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/new ... ow+add-ons

I've got about 10...
WYSIWTF
bob

Postby RedDog » 04/04/11, 6:26 pm

What about the ones like FasterFox that claim to speed up Firefox? Surely they can't slow it down. I don't think I would load any more than I have but what I have I find useful and worth any extra lag that there might be. Actually my BB is so slow that if it was any slower it would be going backwards. Having said that it is bundled with my satellite TV and landline which totals to less than I was paying my last IP alone, so it is almost like it is free. I am a bit stuffed as my old ISP now has fibre optics available. Someone I know is getting 37meg. I get 1.4 in the middle of the night
at 3am. :0(

:(
Regards RedDog

RedDog
Member ****

Return to Own The Machine