For the sake of captiolism

Hack your OS, customize your GUI, announce great software, and configure, configure, configure...

For the sake of captiolism

Postby Don_U » 11/19/10, 9:52 am

Senate panel approves website shut-down bill

http://www.itworld.com/internet/128208/ ... -down-bill

so it starts here
I never look back, dahling, it distracts from the now -Edna Mode
Beware of men in white vans at the freeway off ramps selling discount America. It is defective,
contains lead, and is not made here.
Robotic Undertones
Don_U
Senior Member I Get Free Beer

Postby Gerry » 11/19/10, 10:26 am

Yeah saw that. Fuckin Conroy has hurt you guys too. Although it's apparently been pushed back to 2013 here, which should give Google enough time to polish off SPDY.

> The bill would also allow the DOJ, through a court order, to order U.S. Internet service providers to redirect customer traffic away from infringing websites not based in the U.S.

Funny how they mention the filtering as an afterthought even thought that's probably the worst part.
I answer rhetorical questions for my own enjoyment.
Gerry
BIG GIANT HEAD I Get Free Beer

Postby Gerry » 11/19/10, 10:31 am

> The bill would allow the Department of Justice to seek court orders requiring U.S. domain-name registrars to shut down domestic websites suspected of hosting infringing materials.

Heh... funny how they clearly don't realise another domain can just be pointed to the content. These people are showing as much ignorance as Conroy. Still, censorship of the .com tld will be fucked. Wonder if this will see a shift of the ".com industry" away from the US. If you can't trust that things won't be shut down just based on being "<b>suspected</b> of hosting infringing materials" then why would you host in the US or use a .com?
Gerry

Postby Don_U » 11/19/10, 2:28 pm

It is deeper than than just shuttering copyright violators.

There is a personality type that would just a soon not have free software. I was asked not to speak about open source at a local restaurant. When I asserted that the web runs on mostly free software the owner reminded me that she has the right refuse service to anyone.

Information helps people informs them educates changes them. When you give information the light of day you can see the snakes that hide under rocks.

There are capitalists that do not want anything free capitalism in America has become synonymous with greed. Anything for a buck. heh The worlds oldest profession.

"Here in America everything is subject to subjugation don't believe me, just dial up your favorite radio station. What used to be a place of light is turning into a dark nation. You will be censored if you start to flow. This is not freedom just a place to go" - Don_U
Beware of men in white vans at the freeway off ramps selling discount America. It is defective,
Robotic Undertones
Don_U

Postby RedRage » 11/19/10, 4:45 pm

Clearly the person at the restaurant didn't know WTF you where talking about.

There are plenty of "capitalists" who use and/or promote open source software the greedy bastards.

Most of the web hosts I've dealt with in the past will shut you down if you host/post illegal material anyway. I don't understand why this bill is needed. just from a face value looking at the bill (i didn't read it) i doubt much will change other than spending more money in enforcing something that is pretty much being done already.
RedRage

Postby Gerry » 11/20/10, 1:01 am

Yeah I'm thinking along the same lines as Red. A lot of people think that free software means pirated software. It's kinda funny, but kinda not at the same time.

I lived with a lawyer a while back, lets call him Phillip. Our other housemate installed Ubuntu on his laptop in the main room and that sparked a conversation about open source and how it worked. No matter how much I tried to convince Phillip, he just couldn't believe me that the vast majority of the work that went into building the operating system he was seeing was built by developers all over the world for free and that they freely shared the code to make the OS (or their part of it) with the world. The whole time he though I was pulling his leg and he began to actually get quite condescending with his laughter as he began to realize I believed what I was telling him. It was shortly after this that he started saying "OK" to appease me, however I'm not sure he ever actually believed me.

I left the conversation half laughing, realizing that one day somebody would back up what I was saying to him and he would then catch onto reality.
Gerry

Postby Don_U » 11/20/10, 1:02 am

They have a problem with 'free' Red they don't like freedom. They have a hard time coping with it.

More and more I keep referencing 'One Flew Over The CucKoo's Nest'

I think freedom is frightening for some ppl.
Robotic Undertones
Don_U

Postby RedRage » 11/20/10, 5:19 pm

LOL yeah Gerry it would be fun to see if/when it finally clicked for him.

Don_U wrote: They have a problem with 'free' Red they don't like freedom. They have a hard time coping with it.

My neighbor "Bill" is a retired, drunk who can barely figure out how to work his remote control. He has no idea what Open Source is... yup he hates freedom alright.
RedRage

Postby Don_U » 11/21/10, 3:14 am

I love ya Red, no really I do.

The point is freedom or being free or something being
free is difficult for some people to grasp. Phil was not grasping Open Source because his value system and beliefs would not let him see the value.

If your neighbor is a drunk retired or not he has no idea what freedom is. How can he hate it when he doesn't know what it is.
Robotic Undertones
Don_U

Postby bob » 11/21/10, 4:31 am

...The point is freedom or being free or something being
free is difficult for some people to grasp.

Please Don: "free of cost" is not the same as "freedom from subjugation." There may be some overlap, but these are not necessarily the same.
WYSIWTF
bob

Postby Don_U » 11/21/10, 9:16 am

It's pretty shallow to believe Open Source Software is just about cost. It is about the free exchange of information without barriers. Barriers or boundaries are at the core of human survival. They do a little more than just overlap.

The example from the book or play is when McMurphy
finds out that everybody but him is there on their own accord. They subjugated themselves. For some, barriers are a way through life. A way to manage the day to day. Challenging conventional wisdom is also questioning conventional belief. Human behaviors are interrelated. You can't separate the two. To live by barriers is to live by reciprocal relationship.
Robotic Undertones
Don_U

Postby bob » 11/21/10, 4:18 pm

It's pretty shallow to believe Open Source Software is just about cost.

Precisely my point. To confuse the types of freeness creates just such misapprehensions. A lot of people already confound freeware and open source. Why increase the number?
WYSIWTF
bob

Postby Gerry » 11/21/10, 5:19 pm

bob wrote:
It's pretty shallow to believe Open Source Software is just about cost.

Precisely my point. To confuse the types of freeness creates just such misapprehensions. A lot of people already confound freeware and open source. Why increase the number?

In this case SOD had already set the context as "open source" so I believe everybody knew we were talking about free as in speech. Although my example involving Ubuntu took it a step further by adding beer, both of which my housemate had trouble accepting.

I'm not sure I've met anybody that didn't like freedom, just those who were looking for the catch or worse yet, were too willing to give it up for the illusion of safety (to paraphrase Franklin).
Gerry

Postby RedRage » 11/21/10, 7:50 pm

so, we went from talking about a bill that i think we can all agree on is not needed whether we agree on the core issue or not, to this.
RedRage

Postby Gerry » 11/21/10, 8:50 pm

and now we are discussing how off topic we are ;P
Gerry

Next

Return to Own The Machine