A question about Wine

Hack your OS, customize your GUI, announce great software, and configure, configure, configure...

A question about Wine

Postby Don_U » 11/09/10, 9:03 am

How well does wine work? 'Run On Linux' operates within wine and can install Safari and the like. Is this a good way of doing this?
I never look back, dahling, it distracts from the now -Edna Mode
Beware of men in white vans at the freeway off ramps selling discount America. It is defective,
contains lead, and is not made here.
Robotic Undertones
Don_U
Senior Member I Get Free Beer
Senior Member I Get Free Beer

Re: A question about Wine

Postby Gerry » 11/10/10, 5:38 am

Don_U wrote:How well does wine work? 'Run On Linux' operates within wine and can install Safari and the like. Is this a good way of doing this?

Wine works very well, although some apps work better than others. Many apps will require some tinkering such as downloading a dll from http://www.dll-files.com/. If having problems with an app, start it from a console so you can see all errors that are output. Also you can look up the app on WineHQ's app DB: http://appdb.winehq.org/ to find out how well it's supported and read the comments for any gotchas and work arounds.

I've never heard of 'Run On Linux' before and coudn't find any references to it on google.
I answer rhetorical questions for my own enjoyment.
Gerry
BIG GIANT HEAD I Get Free Beer
BIG GIANT HEAD I Get Free Beer

Postby aktiwers » 12/20/10, 12:24 pm

If you don't bother to configure Wine for each application, Wine-doors does this for you.

http://wddb.wine-doors.org/

Oh the website seams pretty screwed right now :S

Wine-doors wrote:Very very broken and I don't have time to fix it

:roll:
aktiwers
Senior<BR>Member

Re: A question about Wine

Postby Black_Codec » 01/11/11, 8:17 am

Don_U wrote:How well does wine work? 'Run On Linux' operates within wine and can install Safari and the like. Is this a good way of doing this?

What is 'Run on linux'?
Wine is a sort of virtual machine embedded in linux system, it emulate a windows virtual pc, so some game or program must work and other not.
There are some custom build for wine, an example is PlayOnLinux(PlayOnLinux is a piece of software which allows you to easily install and use numerous games and software designed to run with Microsoft®s Windows®. Few games are compatible with GNU/Linux at the moment and it certainly is a factor preventing the migration to this system. PlayOnLinux brings an accessible and efficient solution to this problem, cost-free and respectful of the free software) that IS FREE.
Other commercial solution are:
- CrossOver optimized for game and office.
- Cedega optimized for game, is free but on other site call them commercial software.

All this build are wine + some enhancement that you can do manually.

I use PlayOnLinux for game porting and it run very well, but if you really want to play seriously you must chose windows.
My site: UndeR A TraiN
Our repo: Forum
Public repo: SoftArchive
Black_Codec

Return to Own The Machine