Seeking a scripting tool to throw URLs at my ISP connection

Hack your OS, customize your GUI, announce great software, and configure, configure, configure...

Seeking a scripting tool to throw URLs at my ISP connection

Postby ITinaGhetto » 09/21/10, 10:41 pm

I am seeking something similar to what used to be "twill". Which appears to have died out in 2007 or so.

I have users complaining of slow internet performance over their 768k sDSL IPS lines. Burdened down with VPN overhead etc.

So, yeah, it's not a rocket ship. But I need to measure the actual performance. I have a set of changes which could be made to VPN tunnelling, DNS, antivirus and content filter settings.

I would like a tool which would throw URLs at the DSL line and measure load times, timeouts, etc.

A lot of folks, in other forums, have suggested speednet type test tools. And web site stress test tools. Not those! Rather than lots of traffic to one web site, I want to create lots of traffic from one machine to lots of web sites.

I haven't been in Shell City for a while. Good to revisit.
David
ITinaGhetto
Member ***

Postby RedRage » 11/10/10, 3:48 pm

Most any sort of scripting language should be able to do this for you but chances are you would need to write it yourself.

make a list of sites in a file/db with known file sizes
have it "randomly" pick one or five. fopen it, time it, do the math and export the result.

MRTGis nice as well, not exactly what you're looking for but you may like it.
RedRage
BIG GIANT HEAD I Get Free Beer
BIG GIANT HEAD I Get Free Beer

Postby ITinaGhetto » 11/29/10, 11:18 pm

Thank you,
David
ITinaGhetto
Member ***

Return to Own The Machine