Def: Dual Boot

Hack your OS, customize your GUI, announce great software, and configure, configure, configure...

Def: Dual Boot

Postby JohnT » 09/19/10, 1:14 pm

As the topic states...I would like to hear your definitions as to what constitutes a dual boot setup.
"A man may be a fool and not know it, but not if he is married."
JohnT
BIG GIANT HEAD I Get Free Beer

Postby cuttheredwire » 09/19/10, 11:56 pm

Kicking it with both feet after it crashes.
(• ShellCity's Second Banana •• Skinnables's Newsie •)
cuttheredwire

Postby JohnT » 09/20/10, 12:51 am

That's one way, :lol: but I'm looking for a tad more professional response. I don't want to influence anyone's objectivity by pointing you in a general direction. Dual boot...is this a matter of semantics to some or is there a physical aspect.
JohnT

Postby cuttheredwire » 09/20/10, 3:07 am

I couldn't resist. 8)

I would say, to me, a true dual boot is a win/linux setup (or at least implies that). Technically, it could be two versions of any OS, but colloquially I think win/linux is understood. Anything else, and people explain that the dual boot computer differs from the obvious.
cuttheredwire

Postby JohnT » 09/20/10, 3:30 am

I'm in a discussion about whether a dual boot is two operating systems on two different partitions or can be two operating systems on the same partition, such as WUBI or ZipSlack, a loopback device.
JohnT

Postby cuttheredwire » 09/20/10, 4:41 am

Wow, never even heard of that. I thought it HAD to be on it's own partition.

I have a Linus class tomorrow. Sounds like a fun question for the teacher.
cuttheredwire

Postby JohnT » 09/20/10, 5:42 am

From the Red Hat Manual....
Appendix G. Configuring a Dual-Boot System
Sharing a computer between two operating systems often requires dual booting. You can use either operating system on the computer, but not both at once. Each operating system boots from and uses its own hard drives or disk partitions.

I am in a discussion with some people that have an opposing view but they have no factual documentation.
JohnT

Postby JohnT » 09/30/10, 10:38 am

Bump!
JohnT

Postby Gerry » 10/01/10, 4:34 pm

The ability to boot into multiple OSes where each has full access to the available resources of the system. Running an OS inside another OS is virtualisation, not dual booting.

I believe this is the most popular definition although most probably haven't though about it enough to give you a good definition. Most just know it when they see it.
I answer rhetorical questions for my own enjoyment.
Gerry

Postby ITinaGhetto » 10/04/10, 9:30 pm

I agree that dual-boot refers to a Windows/Linux decision; each using its own partition. That does not necessarily mean that the file systems are exclusive to the chosen OS. Knoppix, boots from CD and can read either linux or windows files from the hard drives in the machine. I think the "boot from CD" app for Windows is called Windows Live (or was...).

I think your opposing parties in the discussion had better come up with their facts. Or you should find better partners to debate with.
ITinaGhetto
Member ***

Postby RedRage » 11/10/10, 3:42 pm

Dual booting is generally multiple OSs in the same system could be the same drive, partition or separate hard drives whatever doesn't matter. Doesn't matter what OS either could be two copies of the same OS if you wanted maybe for test purposes? /shrug

when booting OSes like Linux and windows, you will want separate partitions/drives mainly because of the different file systems used. Last I checked the NTFS modules for Linux are still buggy, It may work but I highly double you would want to boot from it. Microsoft has shown little interest is most *nix file systems.

Using visualization software like VMWare is not dual booting.

Booting from say a thumb drive or CD could be considered dual booting however it is not a permanent fixture (generally). I would also consider something like ZipSlack in this category but this is the area it would get fuzzy
RedRage

Return to Own The Machine