Contrived HTML5

Hack your OS, customize your GUI, announce great software, and configure, configure, configure...

Contrived HTML5

Postby Don_U » 08/07/10, 9:48 am

A note. This post[rant] was inspired by this B.S.
http://www.zeldman.com/2010/08/06/earli ... -is-html5/

I am beginning to think that all designers can do is think in terms of of their own mediocrity. That and Photoshop mock ups :lol:

I hate HTML5. Never mind it is static, contrived,
and produced by ppl who for the most part love liturgy more than the expression.

Now they want us to look at markup as one way.
This next line is important.

HTML XML and any other SGML variant are meant to be inner operable. That how they do what they do should be the same with respect to markup syntax. A lack of this constant brings markup back to primitive.

An example:
Closing tags without / and no quotes around anchors.
THIS IS NOT NATIVE! (damn caps lock 8))

While Facebook and others in programming are beginning to understand the power of native compilers design folks want you to look backwards.

They want parsing or extracting information from the DOM to be done with java script and DOM manipulation THAT UTILIZES PRIMITIVE DOM METHODS.

They want this stuff as contrived as possible so they can tell you how to parse your information.
HTML 5 IS TOO LOOSELY TYPED.

Why not use XSL?

Get into XSL it is native to markup and inherently
safer. People have made comments that XSL is not secure with respect to using document() to import information. They make comparisons to PHP and JS and how much of a vulnerability it is.

Not so with XSL/XML because it is a native combination. In other words if you try to inject
via the document() function XSL would reject anything that is not native to it. To add to this the document() call in XSL IS NOT AN INTERPRETED LANGUAGE IT IS A NATIVE LANGUAGE. "Draconian" error handling as web design types have put is does have it's advantages 8)

The one mistake most often made is to create an analogy and compare the syntax and say this just like JS or PHP etc, not true because it is native and does not have to withstand the weight of interpretation and typing.

There are many other inherit virtues to using a native language. Granted as with anything else it has scope but for many tasks it is spot on.

This did not start out to be about XSL but I fail to see how contrived markup and parsing out performs a native alternative.
I never look back, dahling, it distracts from the now -Edna Mode
Beware of men in white vans at the freeway off ramps selling discount America. It is defective,
contains lead, and is not made here.
Robotic Undertones
Don_U
Senior Member I Get Free Beer

Postby Don_U » 08/16/10, 8:46 am

Something else:

These are called web workers a call and response mechanism for JS that features JS doc calls and inner html that is serialized into JSON regardless
of input type.

http://wearehugh.com/public/2010/08/html5-web-workers/

HTML5 is attempting to take a lot of half ass ideas from the not to distant past and codify them with a bit of supposition. A fine recipe indeed. Microformats anyone?
I never look back, dahling, it distracts from the now -Edna Mode
Beware of men in white vans at the freeway off ramps selling discount America. It is defective,
contains lead, and is not made here.
Robotic Undertones
Don_U

Return to Own The Machine