Stable Chrome/Linux

Hack your OS, customize your GUI, announce great software, and configure, configure, configure...

Postby Gerry » 06/02/10, 10:30 pm

JohnT wrote:1.As they say in that post......"It's all subject to your level of paranoia" (not a direct quote but close).
I'd say a complete misquote and also taken out of context. He was referring to that specific security lapse. Also, you'll notice they did fix it and send out an email to all their users.

JohnT wrote:If not Lastpass then Keepass.....what objections do you have to that?
None, it's teriffic. I use http://www.keepassx.org/downloads as it's cross platform. I'd like to be able to use Lastpass for important passwords, but it's just not secure to do so atm.
I answer rhetorical questions for my own enjoyment.
Gerry
BIG GIANT HEAD I Get Free Beer

Postby JohnT » 06/03/10, 5:24 am

Gerry wrote:
JohnT wrote:1.As they say in that post......"It's all subject to your level of paranoia" (not a direct quote but close).
I'd say a complete misquote and also taken out of context. He was referring to that specific security lapse. Also, you'll notice they did fix it and send out an email to all their users.

Sales-hype is always out of context
:lol:

2) I was only using your disclosure of your password obfuscation method as an example. I'm sure this is not the only way you have unintentionally disclosed secrets about it over the years both online and offline.

You of course know what happens when you make assumptions as to others behavior?
Last edited by JohnT on 06/04/10, 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
"A man may be a fool and not know it, but not if he is married."
JohnT

Postby bob » 06/03/10, 7:58 pm

Damn, don't you guys ever let it go? I put all my passwords in a text file and pull them up in notepad when I need them.
WYSIWTF
bob

Postby JohnT » 06/03/10, 8:59 pm

Actually your damn close to having something secure...now if you just put that in a protected excel file......you'll be so much better. :P
JohnT

Postby Gerry » 06/03/10, 11:48 pm

bob wrote:Damn, don't you guys ever let it go?
I had :P
Gerry

Postby bob » 06/04/10, 12:43 am

Actually your damn close to having something secure...now if you just put that in a protected excel file......you'll be so much better.

it's all a matter of security vs. convenience. I've balanced it out according to my situation and needs...

Anyone else got a method they use?
WYSIWTF
bob

Postby Don_U » 06/04/10, 1:18 am

I too use a plain sight method. I think a secure method at the browser invites hackers to crack it,
and they would.

Story

I used to travel into NYC in truck. My loads at times were worth hundreds of thousands of dollars. Drivers tell stories of having the most redundant security breached. My solution, I never locked my truck in the Big Apple. It sent a semantic msg that I had nothing of value. It was fail safe.

See the point?
I never look back, dahling, it distracts from the now -Edna Mode
Beware of men in white vans at the freeway off ramps selling discount America. It is defective,
contains lead, and is not made here.
Robotic Undertones
Don_U
Senior Member I Get Free Beer

Postby JohnT » 06/04/10, 9:20 am

I've used the same base password for over 10 years and never had a problem....recently I ran "Brute Force" on it for three days without a whimper. Anbody wants to go longer than that they're welcome. :lol:
JohnT

Postby Gerry » 06/04/10, 12:26 pm

Don_U wrote:I too use a plain sight method. I think a secure method at the browser invites hackers to crack it,
and they would.
You've got a secure method at the browser, Secure HTTP and it also uses encryption too.
Gerry

Postby Don_U » 06/04/10, 12:46 pm

Gerry wrote:You've got a secure method at the browser, Secure HTTP and it also uses encryption too.

don't store them at the browser...
I never look back, dahling, it distracts from the now -Edna Mode
Beware of men in white vans at the freeway off ramps selling discount America. It is defective,
contains lead, and is not made here.
Robotic Undertones
Don_U

Previous

Return to Own The Machine