Stable Chrome/Linux

Hack your OS, customize your GUI, announce great software, and configure, configure, configure...

Stable Chrome/Linux

Postby JohnT » 05/26/10, 1:22 pm

There's a stable chrome out for Linux users. They have the most popular distros listed , but if you look on the download page you'll find a link for others. It's become my default browser. Finally weaned from FF. I gotta say its the fastest thing I've seen on my machine. :P No rendering problems and plenty of plugins.
"A man may be a fool and not know it, but not if he is married."
JohnT
BIG GIANT HEAD I Get Free Beer

Postby Gerry » 05/27/10, 8:20 am

You mean not beta? I've been using the beta for a long time now. Viewed your post and made this one in it actually. However I still can't recommend it for anybody wishing to use a browser based password manager as it just doesn't encrypt your passwords:
http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1397
I answer rhetorical questions for my own enjoyment.
Gerry

Postby Gerry » 05/27/10, 11:13 am

http://www.google.ru/support/forum/p/Ch ... cd17&hl=en

Just look at how many people are complaining. Yet one and a half years pass and Google does nothing about this very serious problem. Firefox's password manager isn't perfect, but Chrome's implementation is absolutely stupid.
Gerry

Postby RedRage » 05/27/10, 4:02 pm

yeah firefox is bad too. i don't anything that has to do with money :-)
RedRage

Postby JohnT » 05/27/10, 9:02 pm

Who in their right mind stores passwords in their browser....thats just plain laziness....thats not a complaint of mine. Use a password manager if you have the OCD to store passwords.
JohnT

Postby Gerry » 05/28/10, 4:32 am

JohnT wrote:Who in their right mind stores passwords in their browser....thats just plain laziness....thats not a complaint of mine. Use a password manager if you have the OCD to store passwords.

That's what we are talking about here John, Chrome's password manager is very bad. Just because a password manager is inside a browser does not mean it needs to be any less safe than any external password manager. Chrome though is especially bad because not only are your passwords unencrypted once you are logged into Windows, but they also have it enabled by default!

> Who in their right mind stores passwords in their browser.
I do. I use a different password for every site. I use keepassX for any passwords that could really damage me if compromised, simply because Firefox has the risk of compromise due to their long uncrypted sessions. The encryption used last time I checked is strong for at least another 10 years (3DES in Cypher Bloc Chaining mode accoring to this article from Feb last year http://www.securityfocus.com/infocus/1882/2). Clicking a button is all it takes to re-lock the password manager in Firefox. Where do you see the problem with this?

http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2 ... dvice.html
Gerry

Postby JohnT » 05/28/10, 7:59 am

If thats what you want.....its your thing. Personally I don't have any passwords in my browser. Someone would have to burglarize my home to access mine and even then it would be difficult to find them. :lol:
JohnT

Postby RedRage » 05/28/10, 5:31 pm

i store ones that i really don't care if someone gets like forums (sorry guys) and social networking... i mean who cares if someone wants to mess with my face book? I don't its just a waste of time anyway. I'm guessing it has prolly saved me 10-20 seconds a day for the past week or so.. whoo hoo! lol
RedRage

Postby Gerry » 05/28/10, 7:27 pm

JohnT wrote:Someone would have to burglarize my home to access mine and even then it would be difficult to find them. :lol:
Well by storing them in a browser on my computer, the easiest way for an attacker to get them would also be to break into my house and take the PC.

Sure yours are hidden, but you've just published your obfuscation method on the net. Somebody just has to watch you now while you are on your computer.

Even if somebody got my password file they would still require a supercomputer running for years. The cost of doing that is astronomical compared to the payoff if they are ever able to crack the encryption.

Although to be honest. If somebody's broken in and has the required technical knowledge, then all bets are off as they could just install a wireless hardware keylogger, wireless cameras to monitor keystrokes or just about anything.

But my point is. With Chrome, your average user could easily end up storing important passwords (after being prompted to do so) that anybody with access to their pc can easily view with a few clicks. I dunno about you guys, but I find that really bad.
Gerry

Postby JohnT » 05/29/10, 8:54 am

Sure yours are hidden, but you've just published your obfuscation method on the net. Somebody just has to watch you now while you are on your computer.

Just to be helpful I should publish my address. :lol:
JohnT

Postby bob » 05/29/10, 6:49 pm

I know your address, but since it's dynamic, what would be the point?
WYSIWTF
bob

Postby JohnT » 05/29/10, 11:19 pm

Physical Bob :roll: .....as to passwords....this got me curious as to alternate methods.Checking out ""LastPass" and it seems an acceptable addition to Chrome.
JohnT

Postby bob » 05/30/10, 2:25 pm

oh, physical.... nevah mind then!
WYSIWTF
bob

Postby Gerry » 05/31/10, 6:16 am

JohnT wrote:Physical Bob :roll: .....as to passwords....this got me curious as to alternate methods.Checking out ""LastPass" and it seems an acceptable addition to Chrome.

Last time I checked, Lastpass has one fatal flaw. You have to trust them that you don't have to trust them. They say that you can trust them to keep that data safe because the decryption key will never leave your computer. However you just have to trust them on this and that's all the assurance you have.

This is a bug I reported back in 2008 which shows how much you can just rely on that assurance:
http://forums.lastpass.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=117

This instance was a mistake on their part, but that's all it takes for your passwords to be compromised which is why you can't just trust them like they want you to.

Their solution is very close to perfect, but it's not there yet due to this big hole in the security.

As for your physical address...
1) You have been posting here for years, I'm sure you have left enough clues to your real identity by now.
2) I was only using your disclosure of your password obfuscation method as an example. I'm sure this is not the only way you have unintentionally disclosed secrets about it over the years both online and offline.
Gerry

Postby JohnT » 06/02/10, 7:55 am

1.As they say in that post......"It's all subject to your level of paranoia" (not a direct quote but close). All my important passwords I keep in my head....I have no time for paranoia or para- anything.:lol:

2.I've been posting for years but am nomadic in nature.
If not Lastpass then Keepass.....what objections do you have to that?
JohnT

Next

Return to Own The Machine