Learning Linux

Hack your OS, customize your GUI, announce great software, and configure, configure, configure...

Learning Linux

Postby Don_U » 01/29/10, 11:58 pm

As the title implies this is the place to post knowledge or links you could share about Linux.

I guess I can start.

I have been reading the Ubuntu documentation.

https://help.ubuntu.com/9.10/index.html

Also this from community support:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community#Getti ... r%20system
I never look back, dahling, it distracts from the now -Edna Mode
Beware of men in white vans at the freeway off ramps selling discount America. It is defective,
contains lead, and is not made here.
Robotic Undertones
Don_U
Senior Member I Get Free Beer
Senior Member I Get Free Beer

Postby JohnT » 01/31/10, 1:51 pm

"A man may be a fool and not know it, but not if he is married."
JohnT
BIG GIANT HEAD I Get Free Beer

Postby Gerry » 01/31/10, 4:31 pm

Thanks John, while reading the contents page alone is a daunting task :P I'm sure I'll really enjoy reading all that. K, on seeing John's post now I said "Good idea for a thread DonahUe".

= = = = = = = = = = = = =
edit: still trying to come up with a good name for ya that rolls off the keyboard.

Possible selections are

udon
donn
donny
dun
dons
= = = = = = = = = = = = =
Gerry

Postby JohnT » 06/16/10, 3:54 am

As a longtime Slackware veteran (10+yrs) I decided to see what all the excitement was about Ubuntu and installed the latest Lucid 10.04 on a dual boot with Win 7. My wife refuses to let go. :lol: I have to admit even being a die-hard fan-boy of Slackware I'm impressed by the whole setup. I have only been in my /etc directory once since setup 5 days ago and that was only to edit my /etc/resolv.conf. In Slackware I lived in that directory for the first week or so when I did a new install. :lol: The package system is very well thought out and I had no trouble making my way around that being a former FreeBSD user. I thought this "sudo" thing was gonna put me off but I spend less time doing other things that I don't even notice now. Slackware dropped Gnome a few years back and I didn't realize how much I missed it until now. Somethings have been moved around and somethings are not as configurable as they once were....but that's Ubuntus doing not Gnome. Out of the box it was ready to go....not one piece of hardware did I have to modprobe. I have a fairly new computer too.Software that I had to compile for hours....now is installed in little time. Gnome has an excellent music player, Rhythmbox, but I wanted Amarok from KDE. No problem It was downloaded via apt and all KDE dependencies resolved in about an hour...I have a slow connection. Coming from Slack made this transition....cake! It's got the new Grub2 which is not so contentious as Legacy, but I still prefer Lilo. OK off to play some more...I'll post a link later with a screenshot. :P

LINK
JohnT

Postby bob » 06/16/10, 12:12 pm

I'm planning on putting ubantu onto a spare notebook (if my daughter would decide if she wants the notebook or not),so any notebook specific advice? It's a thinkpad, about 5 years old. My previous experience with U. is that it uses resources pretty heavily.... Comments? The notebook handles xp pretty easily.
WYSIWTF
bob

Postby JohnT » 06/16/10, 2:17 pm

I ran Ubuntu on a computer at my office some time ago....it was ver-8.x something like that. The machine was a single with about 512 memory and it ran OK on that. Now I'm using 10.04 on a dual with 1gb and no problems.
Rumor has it that this version is less resource intensive than the last and it needs a minimum 382 gb mem. Now thats rumor mind you....its free. What's to lose.....only time. She might be more at ease with Kbuntu a more windows Vista/7-like environment.
Last edited by JohnT on 06/16/10, 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JohnT

Postby RedRage » 06/16/10, 4:28 pm

since i generally only use linux on servers now days i still use slack. My roommate (non-geek but knows a bit) just put ubantu on a laptop and it looks and seemed to run pretty well.

Slack just feels faster to me. slapt-get makes me nervous sometimes though.
RedRage

Postby JohnT » 06/16/10, 7:29 pm

As long as your config is set to your version number and not set to "current" your more than reasonably safe unless the problem is upstream in the changelog. One I like and still use..is Swaret. It takes care of dependencies. It's no longer maintained though. Some guy has updated it for 13.0 but I didn't like the way it performed and went back to the newest stable. I do use slapt-get though.
JohnT

Postby bob » 06/17/10, 4:02 am

She might be more at ease with Kbuntu a more windows Vista/7-like environment.

I'm only putting Ubantu on it if she doesn't want it. Then I'll keep it.

We've got a few laptops around here--my wife's, mostly for her email.

My tablet, which I have come to love... It's my laying-on-the-couch-watching-TV computer...

And we've got another dedicated to the tv, which we use for netflix mostly.

These are all XP machines. And this Ubantu-possible one is yet another. 1.86 ghz pentium M processor, 1 gig memory, dates from 2005-2006, IBM Thinkpad. Kind of a small drive--29.5 gigs.
WYSIWTF
bob

Postby JohnT » 06/17/10, 11:26 am

bob wrote: Kind of a small drive--29.5 gigs.

Turn that thing upside-down Bob and see if it says D-Link on the bottom. :lol:
JohnT

Postby Gerry » 06/17/10, 2:26 pm

bob wrote:so any notebook specific advice? It's a thinkpad, about 5 years old. My previous experience with U. is that it uses resources pretty heavily.... Comments? The notebook handles xp pretty easily.

re Vs xp: If you were to run Ubuntu in a VM inside of XP it would probably still run faster :P K, joking, but seriously it's much faster, especially when it comes to things like booting up. You'll also like the fact that when a program crashes you can still use everything else and just close that program. Finding and installing new software is usually just a matter of typing what you want into the software center and hitting install. You probably won't need to waste your time downloading and installing, graphic, network or other drivers that you normally install on XP. Your time won't be wasted with unnecessary clicks or confirmation boxes: to unmount a drive you click once, not 5 times; to delete to the recycle bin you just hit your delete key and it's done. In general you'll find yourself waiting a heck of a lot less for most things.

re "any notebook specific advice": No, it should work fine. I've installed it on several old notebooks and had very few problems. The few I did have were fixed by Google. However I do have Ubuntu/Linux advice for you. It does not work like or want to work like Windows. You will have to learn the operating system just like we all learnt how to use Windows when we first started using it. The good news is that the design of the OS was based on logic instead of being about hiding anything which might be scary to it's users in the way MS designs their OS. I find this makes it easier for geeks to learn the system as once you get that they system is made logically you get good at anticipating how things will work before you try to use them.
I answer rhetorical questions for my own enjoyment.
Gerry

Postby bob » 06/17/10, 4:28 pm

Turn that thing upside-down Bob and see if it says D-Link on the bottom

it has a wireless card, if that's what you mean. also usb, s-vid, pcmcia, and a cd.
WYSIWTF
bob

Postby JohnT » 06/17/10, 8:54 pm

bob wrote:
Turn that thing upside-down Bob and see if it says D-Link on the bottom

it has a wireless card, if that's what you mean. also usb, s-vid, pcmcia, and a cd.

No I meant with that HD size are you sure its not just a router? :lol: :lol:
JohnT

Postby bob » 06/17/10, 11:13 pm

it's from 2006...
WYSIWTF
bob

Postby JohnT » 06/18/10, 7:23 am

bob wrote:it's from 2006...

I remember when a four year old computer was aces...LOL.....it still is.
JohnT

Next

Return to Own The Machine