Installing Ubuntu

Hack your OS, customize your GUI, announce great software, and configure, configure, configure...
RedRage
BIG GIANT HEAD I Get Free Beer

Post by RedRage » 01/28/10, 1:49 am

Don_U wrote:Does slack manage dependency's Red?
installpkg
pkgtool and the like.

slapt-get as well, i don't think it is default app. download it and use pkgtool to install it.
saw it run today damn that is fast and responsive when it comes to Apache and PHP. Also want to try
Ubuntu server addition.
my primary use for it
Also there are differences. Drivers are included
but device support is another story. There are even differences in patches between ubuntu and debian.
Also, the kernels are different between Slack and Ubuntu. Not saying better just different.
the loaded modules in the kernel maybe different but if you get slack kernel version 1.3c and fedora kernel version 1.3c.... then they're the same base, different default modules and stuff.. thats part of the distro decideing what they want. (just randomly picked a number there)

after EVERY linux install i recompile the kernel usually fairly quickly well except my remote ones unless i have kvm over ip. much of the time there is stuff in there you will never need especially from a server stand point. does it make a difference eh, maybe no but quite a few years ago running an ISP on a 486dx with 8mb ram... yeah it make a world of difference.

Thing to remember with slack (at least 12 and earlier), it is mainly built for people who know what they want and will put it there them selves.

Don_U
Senior Member I Get Free Beer

Post by Don_U » 01/29/10, 4:59 am

Thing to remember with slack (at least 12 and earlier), it is mainly built for people who know what they want
That's just it. Got to thinking that this is just like
starting over. Right now I know I have an operating system. I installed a program or two and am mesmerized by what it does versus the resources it uses. For my next trick I am going to cron a couple of things and delete a few applications I don't use. tada! :lol:

Thank you for the insight.
I never look back, dahling, it distracts from the now -Edna Mode
Beware of men in white vans at the freeway off ramps selling discount America. It is defective,
contains lead, and is not made here.
Robotic Undertones

RedRage

Post by RedRage » 01/29/10, 2:23 pm

just wana be clear too.. i have nothing against other distros :-) if ub has everything you need out of the box then yay!

Don_U

Post by Don_U » 01/29/10, 11:43 pm

I understand Red :D I feel like it is Win98 all over again. :wink: I think that sometimes as computer
geeks we don't want to admit we are at the beginning of a learning curve. It's cool.

ya know from the number of visitors to this thread I think ppl are looking for alternatives, which is a good thing.... Gerry, Red, Bob, Linux Lurkers, do you know of any resources that would help making those decisions about Linux easier?

I know as I learn Linux I would like a trusted resource instead of randomness.

So, any ideas guys? I would like to start thread that could be shared with everybody.
I never look back, dahling, it distracts from the now -Edna Mode
Beware of men in white vans at the freeway off ramps selling discount America. It is defective,
contains lead, and is not made here.
Robotic Undertones

RedRage

Post by RedRage » 01/30/10, 3:26 am

well each distro has their own resources, but in general...

the one that i used to use was linux questions.. don't have the url right now.

there was a domain for linux doc project but i think its gone now.

used to be a member of a local user group.. well local i mean western pa, the mailing list was really helpful.

other than that you're looking at more specific in linux like apache groups and such.

Gerry

Post by Gerry » 01/30/10, 9:10 pm

RedRage wrote:well each distro has their own resources
Red is right, I use Ubuntu Help (help.ubuntu.com) most of the time, it rocks and makes everything easy.

eg. Configuring an SSH server: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SSH/O ... onfiguring

When I'm searching for how to do something in Linux the first thing I always try is typing "ubuntu [search term]" into Google as more often than not the tutorial I find will have been written with beginners to Linux in mind. Usually the first thing that comes up is a Ubuntu Help page or a Ubuntu Forums page. It's not hard, it just takes time to understand it.

I just learnt about the lsof command today and what an awesome command it is. =D

RedRage

Post by RedRage » 01/31/10, 3:22 am

lol yeah i don't know how many times i learned a new command was blown away.. then happy.. then pissed realizing that i could've saved hours using it.

The first one many many years back was grep (*&!@# i was so mad lol.