Installing Ubuntu

Hack your OS, customize your GUI, announce great software, and configure, configure, configure...

Installing Ubuntu

Postby Don_U » 01/25/10, 4:33 am

Just got a new gateway (acer) notebook. Nice price
$449 dollars T4200 4gig 4500 graphics. Last years model which is better than this years. Just completed the dl see how it goes....
I never look back, dahling, it distracts from the now -Edna Mode
Beware of men in white vans at the freeway off ramps selling discount America. It is defective,
contains lead, and is not made here.
Robotic Undertones
Don_U
Senior Member I Get Free Beer

Postby Don_U » 01/25/10, 3:24 pm

The live version 9.10 was effortless, no driver
install, found my wifi, I was giddy. As most of you know I have had a love/hate relationship with Linux since the early days of RH. This went off without a hitch.

Runs as fast as 64bit Win. Uses 7% of my 4gigs of memory! Even does the sleep thing without crashing
and that's from the live eval. I love cheap hardware! Will be installing this afternoon after I migrate. I gots me a Linux box. 8)
Beware of men in white vans at the freeway off ramps selling discount America. It is defective,
Robotic Undertones
Don_U

Postby Gerry » 01/25/10, 4:13 pm

I just got a machine the other day for $50! 2Ghz processor and 2Gig ram. Installed ubuntu server on it and then installed the ubuntu-desktop package on top of it. I don't know how the desktop and server (with desktop installed on top) differ, but damn it is friggin fast!!! Timed with a stopwatch after seeing how fast it is and it boots to login screen in a little over 15 seconds and shuts down completely in just under 3 seconds!!!! I was friggin amazed!!!

My housemate who always baggs out Linux also bought two of the machines. One for his dad and one for himself. With the first one he installed Windows XP on it and then spent the next half a day struggling to get anything working on the machine and find drivers. On the second machine which was going to be his, he decided the trouble required just to get networking functional just wasn't worth the effort and figured he would give Windows 7 a go as he though it would have better driver support and might run on the machine. He tried and predictably it failed to even install. At this stage I suggested he install Ubuntu. He said he would give XP a go first and if it didn't work then he would see if Ubuntu would work and wasn't a "total POS". I figured this meant that he wasn't going to try Ubuntu as he had already got XP running on the first machine so would probably have a good idea of how to make it work on the second. I was wrong, I don't know at what point it was, but he eventually cracked and gave up and asked me if I had an Ubuntu disk.

He set it to install and went to sleep after the prompts stopped. I left in the morning so didn't get to see how things went. When I got back my second housemate (who also loves to bag out Linux) reported that the first had complained that things were so much harder to install on Ubuntu. I was surprised as I had given him Karmic which does basic installs quite easily, although I was expecting him to complain that it didn't function like Windows :P . However when he got home his story was completely different. He was estatic when telling me how easy it was to install and get xbmc working on it and access all of his windows shares and was asking me how come it didn't need any drivers to get the hardware working. He was even more shocked when I told him that I had handed him a CD and not a DVD and that the CD hadn't even been completely used. It was so great to see such a dramatic change in somebody who had previously told me how crap Linux was at every chance he got and all I really had to do was hand him a CD at the right time. :)
Gerry
BIG GIANT HEAD I Get Free Beer

Postby Don_U » 01/25/10, 9:27 pm

Yeah, I would say that Linux has arrived. More and more hardware being produced is with this in mind.

LOL one CD....
Vista boot disk is ~three dvd's
That is the difference between writing to the code base and writing add on API's

just have add my prog editor and a way to mirror
my dev files to my backup thumb and I am set.
Robotic Undertones
Don_U

Postby Gerry » 01/26/10, 1:06 pm

What program editor?

As for creating a mirror, you just can't beat rsync or perhaps better would be grsync, which is a gui for rsync. It's so fast, intelligent and full featured.

http://www.opbyte.it/grsync/

If using the Ubuntu version of Firefox
Just visit apt:grsync in your browser to install it.

Otherwise you can run:
sudo apt-get install grsync
Gerry

Postby Don_U » 01/26/10, 7:14 pm

What program editor?

SciTE
http://www.scintilla.org/SciTE.html
It already exists within the distro.

I knew about rsync but bit the GUI version thank you!

Much to learn...

I really liked using it today. Had that new car smell :D
Robotic Undertones
Don_U

Postby RedRage » 01/26/10, 7:37 pm

Slackware 13 was released incase you missed it.
RedRage

Postby Don_U » 01/26/10, 9:25 pm

Red, I looked around but, I need a production ready environment. Most people do. My OS can not become my occupation. Ubuntu is as close to a ubiquitous Linux install as you are going to get.
Robotic Undertones
Don_U

Postby RedRage » 01/26/10, 9:50 pm

other than the install.. its pretty much the same w/o the fancy graphics.. well 12.1 is. I'm a CLI person so it works fine for me. Also i only use linux from server stand point now so cli is just easier.

All and all basic functions are the same.. just a preference on "out of the box" interface. I just stick with the distrib that has been around longer.
RedRage

Postby Don_U » 01/26/10, 11:14 pm

Does it have the necessary "blobs" that makes interface with contemporary hardware effortless?

If I close the lid on my laptop and the OS enters sleep does it crash? Does it disconnect the wifi connection upon entering sleep? There are refinements that set Ubuntu apart.

And it is about needs. I can walk into a client with Ubuntu and it makes the statement that alternatives work and work well.
Robotic Undertones
Don_U

Postby RedRage » 01/27/10, 1:47 am

Don_U wrote:Does it have the necessary "blobs" that makes interface with contemporary hardware effortless?

I havn't had a problem since like slack 9(ish) and that was like what 3 or 4 years ago, maybe more(?)

If I close the lid on my laptop and the OS enters sleep does it crash? Does it disconnect the wifi connection upon entering sleep? There are refinements that set Ubuntu apart.

I wouldn't know if it does or not because it is in sleep mode and when my laptop goes to sleep mode the whole thing "disconnects". but when i get'r going again I haven't needed to do anything special.

gota remember that most major distros pretty much follow the same core when released. so if Ubuntu has this cool feature there is a good chance that Fedora or what ever will have it too (or similar) in the comparable release.

If your bored and have a spare machine to try it on maybe give it ago if you haven't already. otherwise stick with what you got there's not a damn thing wrong with it :-)
RedRage

Postby Gerry » 01/27/10, 4:23 am

Yeah I was going to say something similar. Most of the hardware compatibility is done in the Linux core, so we have them to thank for that, not really Ubuntu. :) Ubuntu's main work as far as I can see is in managing the integration and testing of the great work that others are doing, which is exactly what we all need.
Gerry

Postby Don_U » 01/27/10, 6:04 am

Thanks guys. Again, without the time to investigate
and from what I have read I was under the impression that Ubuntu was not just the QC but the application of the Linux kernel and system and the way it is compiled and administrated .

@Red I will have to give it a go time permitting.
Robotic Undertones
Don_U

Postby Don_U » 01/27/10, 9:50 pm

Does slack manage dependency's Red?

saw it run today damn that is fast and responsive when it comes to Apache and PHP. Also want to try
Ubuntu server addition.

Also there are differences. Drivers are included
but device support is another story. There are even differences in patches between ubuntu and debian.
Also, the kernels are different between Slack and Ubuntu. Not saying better just different.

Getting the Xubuntu install now
Robotic Undertones
Don_U

Postby Don_U » 01/27/10, 11:05 pm

Did not like it as much as Ubuntu
Robotic Undertones
Don_U

Next

Return to Own The Machine