Suse studio

Hack your OS, customize your GUI, announce great software, and configure, configure, configure...

Suse studio

Postby Don_U » 08/04/09, 3:58 am

Build Your own distro of Suse then dl it as an image of choice. Although I use Ubuntu this looks interesting.

http://susestudio.com/
I never look back, dahling, it distracts from the now -Edna Mode
Beware of men in white vans at the freeway off ramps selling discount America. It is defective,
contains lead, and is not made here.
Robotic Undertones
Don_U
Senior Member I Get Free Beer

Postby bob » 08/04/09, 5:25 am

I booked the link, will look later...
WYSIWTF
bob
BIG GIANT HEAD I Get Free Beer

Postby Gerry » 08/04/09, 9:41 am

Wow, that's hot, especially the test drive feature demonstrated at the end of the screencast! I use Ubuntu too and wish we had something like that, although I'm hearing good things about Suse. Configuring your own image in that way is pretty amazing.

How often do you boot back into Windows now SOD? For a while I went about a month or two without even booting it up, but then recently my house mates started playing a lot of games and were pestering me to join in, so I boot into Win every so often for that. Hehehe, I love pestering them with questions...

So how do I do such and such in windows? Oh you can't do that? Oh, oh, I see. OR Oh you have to do that instead? But doesn't that get annoying and waste a lot of time?

Hehehe, they love when I do that. :) Then ever time they come over and look at my screen they get a little more jealous, with unprovoked comments like.

Well I will say one thing, it does look very nice.

One I also get a lot is:

Wha? Is this a mac??!!

or:

Ok, yeah, that would be handy.

:)
Gerry

Postby Don_U » 08/04/09, 8:24 pm

Well, I am in Windows now. Since I do web development having IE around is a must so is Safari.

I like the ease of use in Linux. I want to spend enough time with it to make it systemic to my daily needs.

Since we are on the subject i have a Dell D610 when it goes into standby it borks Ubuntu any way around this issue?
Beware of men in white vans at the freeway off ramps selling discount America. It is defective,
Robotic Undertones
Don_U

Postby Gerry » 08/05/09, 4:49 am

> Well, I am in Windows now. Since I do web development having IE around is a must so is Safari.
Dunno about safari but I can run IE7 on Ubuntu through Wine, which is more than what is possible on a Mac with no money down. Haven't tried 8.

> Since we are on the subject i have a Dell D610 when it goes into standby it borks Ubuntu any way around this issue?

Firstly, if you haven't upgraded to Jaunty, backup and then do so.

That asside, not experiencing the issue myself and not having much details on what "borks" means, I googled "Ubuntu standby borks" and got the following link:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=471855

There was also:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=579781
Gerry

Postby Don_U » 08/05/09, 9:42 am

cool thanks I will do it today
Robotic Undertones
Don_U

Postby RedRage » 08/07/09, 12:00 pm

I thought about building something like this a while back then realized it was already done with the installers that come with most Distribs.

cool though might take a look at it for a LAMP+extras virtual box setup i'm looking at.
RedRage

Return to Own The Machine