Google Wave

Hack your OS, customize your GUI, announce great software, and configure, configure, configure...

Google Wave

Postby Gerry » 06/27/09, 8:59 pm

I imagine you have all already seen this yages ago, but just in case:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_UyVmITiYQ

I still haven't watched the whole thing yet as it's pretty long, but the part I did watch was amazing. Still waiting for my developer account :)
Gerry
BIG GIANT HEAD I Get Free Beer

Postby Gerry » 06/27/09, 9:37 pm

K, just finished watching it and WOW. That very last demo was incredible!
Gerry

Postby bob » 06/28/09, 12:26 am

I watched the whole thing (! - an hour and twenty minutes - !). This looks good. Could change some things. The translator, spellchecker, etc. are fabulous. I'm not sure it'll take the place of email or bulletin boards (I guess you could build a standard format bulletin board right on top of it though, with all the usual bb features, plus what Wave has to add -- there's a project, Gerry!).
WYSIWTF
bob

Postby Gerry » 06/28/09, 11:49 pm

You wouldn't need to build a bulletin board, it already is one! It's also an IM, irc, wiki, blog comments, email and other things. I have no doubt that this or something very similar will be the new email. The advantages it offers for communication are just too useful to be ignored. Why would you use *just* email when you can use this?

We are finally getting our "see as you type" feature back Bob!!! Remember when we used to use that on ICQ? Was so useful as you didn't have to type everything. Google's good at looking at old neglected technologies and showing people why they should never have given them up on them (just like with Javascript/DHTML).

Google's translation service has gotten very good now. I've been using it quite a lot recently to speak with people in French. It doesn't do perfect translations, but good enough so that you can understand what the person is saying. It seems so obvious for this to be added to a messengering system, but I was still floored when I saw it.
Gerry

Postby bob » 06/29/09, 12:55 am

I might use email when I just want to send a few words without getting all "networked up" with the recipient.

BTW, speaking of remember--remember the word processor which would google each word? (Heh!) Actually, something like Google "Suggest" would probably be considered similar.

I signed up for the beta list for Wave.
WYSIWTF
bob

Return to Own The Machine