File time limit

Hack your OS, customize your GUI, announce great software, and configure, configure, configure...

File time limit

Postby JohnT » 04/25/09, 10:33 am

Looking for an app that will let me limit the time someone has access to a file if its copied to another machine.
"A man may be a fool and not know it, but not if he is married."
JohnT
BIG GIANT HEAD I Get Free Beer

Postby Dark Shadow » 04/26/09, 3:02 am

Depends on the file type, but you can set expire dates for EXE files with the correct exe wrapper, php files with a sourceguardian type copyright protection, WMV/WMA files with the correct license encoding, etc...

There is nothing out there that works for every file type no matter what. That is why there are such a large variety of copy protection systems.
Dark Shadow
Senior Member (Entitled To Root Beer)

Postby JohnT » 04/26/09, 9:55 pm

A .pdf or .doc/.docx file.....I know I can protect both, but I need the other person to fully access the files, but only in a time limit.
JohnT

Postby Dark Shadow » 04/26/09, 10:07 pm

I do not believe that docx has a time limit feature built into it, however, you can setup the Information Rights Management Service to only allow access to a specific user for a certain period of time. It would take some fancy scripting but it is possible.

As far as PDFs go, I know there is an ability to force them to expire, however, I'm not sure how you would script that. Either way, you won't be able to completely stop people from copy/pasting the content into another document.

Your best bet may be to setup a Sharepoint Services server (free with Server 2003 or higher) and use the checkout/check in feature of documents. It won't prevent a user from copying the entire document to their local computer, however, it will protect documents with revision change tracking and with a timeout for editing permissions.
Dark Shadow

Postby Gerry » 04/27/09, 10:45 am

We need more info before even thinking about possible solutions. What is the purpose of this file? When you say full access what do you mean? If you want to stop read access, surely if they have full access during the time period, then they can copy the data from the file into another file that isn't protected. If you just want to stop write access then that would be done in another way, such as a revision control system where they can make changes but their changes are not accepted. If it's an executable file and you don't want them to be able to use the application after a time period then that again is a different situation.
Gerry

Postby JohnT » 04/27/09, 10:21 pm

A .pdf file that will be copied to another computer and be fully accessable for a set time period, then made completely unusable after that. This process will be unknown to them. I have problems with teachers stealing files/books from my computer. I don't mind that they use them in the class, but to take all my work and then use it as their own is unacceptable as it is many hours of work to benifit my business, not for them to start theirs.
JohnT

Postby Gerry » 04/28/09, 1:44 pm

Sorry I obviously didn't read anything other than the first post, so I didn't see that you had already specified. My bad.

Apparently you can put Javascript in the PDF to do the check:
http://www.acrobatusers.com/forums/aucb ... hp?id=7838

Search Acrobat help for "javascript actions"

Also I've used PDFs before that didn't allow me to copy and paste.
Gerry

Postby RedRage » 04/28/09, 5:46 pm

wonder how long it will take for them to figure out print screen :-/
RedRage

Postby Gerry » 04/28/09, 11:17 pm

RedRage wrote:wonder how long it will take for them to figure out print screen :-/
You're right, but I think that's why John "This process will be unknown to them". If they don't know it's coming then they have no reason to print screen. Also I sure as heck wouldn't want to manually print screen the pages of a pdf. I'd rather just set back the date on my system clock. :)

Actually John, if you put your name at the top of the doc, then it makes it a little hard for them to pass it off as their own work doesn't it? Also what do you mean when you say "I have problems with teachers stealing files/books from my computer."? Are they going onto your computer while you're not there and copying the files? If so, do you know about truecrypt?
Gerry

Postby JohnT » 04/28/09, 11:48 pm

I'll admit "truecrypt" sounds like a good solution and would be ideal, but I want the teachers to be able to copy some books to their own computers so they have use of them at home when composing lessons, x number of times,then time-bomb. I don't want them to be able to use the books for their own financial gain. I just recently had a teacher that went freelance and took some of my students and materials. I don't want to finance or support another entrepeneur. :lol:
JohnT

Postby Gerry » 05/03/09, 7:08 pm

Have you taken a look at the info above?
Gerry

Postby JohnT » 05/05/09, 12:25 am

Yes I have....I'm working on a javascript to accomplish what I need.....still a little rough. :lol:
JohnT

Postby Dark Shadow » 05/07/09, 10:09 am

http://www.armjisoft.com/?page=pdfownerguard

Depends on how fancy you want to be, but most basic features are free.
Dark Shadow

Postby JohnT » 05/08/09, 11:15 am

Thanks...downloading now....looks like it could solve the problem...will let you know. :)
JohnT

Postby JohnT » 05/09/09, 4:53 am

No joy with the "Personal Edition"...488kb file limit. Mine are gigs! :lol:
JohnT

Next

Return to Own The Machine